Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaTurtleRex

Favourite FPS of the last generation?

Man, all this talk of Prey is making me want to reinstall that game. Actually, I'm gonna do it right now. I really loved it, just never finished it.

geekmarine said:

Man, all this talk of Prey is making me want to reinstall that game.

Same here. I liked that game a lot. I just hope the next game will be good, if it ever comes out...

For a single player experience, I would have to go with Farcry 3 and Farcry 3 Blood Dragon.

For a multiplayer experience, I would have to go with the Payday series.

The design of Prey is really brilliant imo, especially when you compare it to what else was out there at the time. It told a descent (or ascent in its case) story like Bioshock with the puzzle, vomit\vertigo mechanics of Portal, and did it before either of those games, but it's been kind of forgotten.

So pretty too, colour eyegasm.

mrthejoshmon said:

And I can probably guess one of the many reasons why, personally I have problems with the difficulty ~~ Also no Xen, one of my favorite parts of HL was Xen.

Absolutely spot on! Two biggest reasons right there.

Fisk said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 was my favorite shooter et al (it was mostly third-person, yes, but you could play some parts in first-person), though it's not really a first-person shooter. Favorite strict FPS of last gen is between Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2

Not last gen per se, but I always thought the FPS mode in MGS2 was very well thought out. That whole game has aged really well.

I've replayed MGS3 like 7 times now. Never thought about whether they can be classed as FPS. I think they can be really. Just because the movement etc. is relegated to 3rd person doesn't make the FPS side of it any less FPS.

MegaTurtleRex said:

I've replayed MGS3 like 7 times now. Never thought about whether they can be classed as FPS. I think they can be really. Just because the movement etc. is relegated to 3rd person doesn't make the FPS side of it any less FPS.

This thread is getting fuzzier and fuzzier on the requirements of "last-gen" "first person" and "shooter". Understandable I guess, seeing as that developers like to Jamb an XP bar into every damn game now and that RPGs are becoming more action focused. We could argue the gradients I suppose, but for simplicities sake let's just say that if the game is reasonably well know and not on this list it's not a First Person Shooter. Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas for all there sins are still RPGs (and Chivalry Medieval Warfare is more of a first person Brawler)

Also, I consider Prey to be 'pre-last-gen'. It came out in 2006 just at the end of that awkward period between console generations where AAA studios had more or less reached the end of what they could do with an XBox/PS2 hardware and basically stayed there until they started figuring out how to use the 360/PS3 hardware to it's potential, so around the end of 2003 till about 2006 I guess? anyway, notable FPS from that time include: Unreal Tournament 4 Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Quake 4, Prey, Battlefield 2, Far Cry, Painkiller, Call of Duty 2 and F.E.A.R. So for giggles I'm going to pick a FPS from that era.

I'd say F.E.A.R. is my favorite. Despite the fact they the maps get a bit repetitive and I just find the 'scarey bit's' annoying, it's still the funnest semi tactical mans-shootings in an FPS even to this day. I've played through the both the main game and it's two expansion packs multiple times including a run on very hard where I didn't use slow-mo. Honorable mention Goes to SWAT 4. I had no idea how much I could love a Tactical, team based Squad management sim. I mean, I usually hate friendly ai team mates. (I ain't sharing the glory with some bots!) But SWAT 4 Damn near converted me.

I'm going to answer a slightly different question, with apologies;

The first-person perspective games I have enjoyed the most in the past ten years are;

Half-Life 2 series
Portal 2
Skyrim

I wish Skyrim wasn't the most watered down TES game and with such a cliche dragon themed story, I would've picked it otherwise.

Captain Red said:

This thread is getting fuzzier and fuzzier on the requirements of "last-gen" "first person" and "shooter". Understandable I guess, seeing as that developers like to Jamb an XP bar into every damn game now and that RPGs are becoming more action focused. We could argue the gradients I suppose, but for simplicities sake let's just say that if the game is reasonably well know and not on this list it's not a First Person Shooter. Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas for all there sins are still RPGs (and Chivalry Medieval Warfare is more of a first person Brawler)

Also, I consider Prey to be 'pre-last-gen'. It came out in 2006 just at the end of that awkward period between console generations where AAA studios had more or less reached the end of what they could do with an XBox/PS2 hardware and basically stayed there until they started figuring out how to use the 360/PS3 hardware to it's potential, so around the end of 2003 till about 2006 I guess? anyway, notable FPS from that time include: Unreal Tournament 4 Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Quake 4, Prey, Battlefield 2, Far Cry, Painkiller, Call of Duty 2 and F.E.A.R. So for giggles I'm going to pick a FPS from that era.

I'd say F.E.A.R. is my favorite. Despite the fact they the maps get a bit repetitive and I just find the 'scarey bit's' annoying, it's still the funnest semi tactical mans-shootings in an FPS even to this day. I've played through the both the main game and it's two expansion packs multiple times including a run on very hard where I didn't use slow-mo. Honorable mention Goes to SWAT 4. I had no idea how much I could love a Tactical, team based Squad management sim. I mean, I usually hate friendly ai team mates. (I ain't sharing the glory with some bots!) But SWAT 4 Damn near converted me.

I really enjoyed FEAR 1, it had an interesting story that you had to put together yourself. It also had some interesting ways of interacting with the game. Very rewarding game on harder difficulties.

pritch said:

I'm going to answer a slightly different question, with apologies;

The first-person perspective games I have enjoyed the most in the past ten years are;

Half-Life 2 series
Portal 2
Skyrim

It's fine, I like Half Life 2, though maybe I just really love Source engine. It has a really nice feel when it comes to player movement and weight.

MegaTurtleRex said:

The design of Prey is really brilliant imo, especially when you compare it to what else was out there at the time.

Unfortunately (at least for me), it was also one of the first games to introduce a "legalized cheat" of the main character's immortality. And it was rather crudely incorporated into the story.

Antroid said:

I honestly enjoyed SS3 a lot more than most, if not all custom doom maps I've played :I Although that was mostly on the second playthrough, I foolishly did the first go on the hardest difficulty and really didn't know what the hell I was doing

I had the same with Quake 4. Remembering how easy Quake 2 was for me on the highest difficulty (hard+) I decided to try "general" right away in Quake 4. I finished the game, but it took me SO MUCH quick saving / loading that I can't describe this experience as pleasureable. Quake 4 taught me humility, right now I always start with "normal" difficulty whenever I try a new game - Quake 4 is a really good game, but it frustrated me too much and I have nobody to blame but me. "Normal" and "nightmare" (and their equivalents) hold their names for a reason ;)

Patrol1985 said:

I had the same with Quake 4. Remembering how easy Quake 2 was for me on the highest difficulty (hard+) I decided to try "general" right away in Quake 4. I finished the game, but it took me SO MUCH quick saving / loading that I can't describe this experience as pleasureable. Quake 4 taught me humility, right now I always start with "normal" difficulty whenever I try a new game - Quake 4 is a really good game, but it frustrated me too much and I have nobody to blame but me. "Normal" and "nightmare" (and their equivalents) hold their names for a reason ;)

Quake 4 is a very hard game, even on Corporal I have points where a save is made every room.

I like how rather than the enemies being bullet sponges, you (The player) instead get annihilated by just a few rounds (Not to mention those napalm enemies, that was frustration incarnate).

I need to give Q4 a replay, I only really beat it once on an old PC where it lagged and graphics were turned way down. Although first I'll have to defeat my stupid, stupid inability to pick a difficulty level that isn't the hardest one available.

Da Werecat said:

Unfortunately (at least for me), it was also one of the first games to introduce a "legalized cheat" of the main character's immortality. And it was rather crudely incorporated into the story.

Yeah I know what you mean, I think it's a neat conceit for modern expectations though. I dislike quick-save, you are guaranteed victory with it, so the rebirth thingo isn't greatly different in the end but it doesn't interrupt the pacing of the game like quick-loading does.

Antroid said:

I need to give Q4 a replay, I only really beat it once on an old PC where it lagged and graphics were turned way down. Although first I'll have to defeat my stupid, stupid inability to pick a difficulty level that isn't the hardest one available.

Q4 is really good, it also has some really pretty areas and use of colours. The only complaint I have is the fucking turret sections. Not because they are bad but because the mouse horizontal movement is tied to the body of whatever vehicle you are in. It makes keeping your cross-hair on anything an absolute nightmare.

The vehicle sections where you control the vehicle movement yourself are fun though.

MegaTurtleRex said:

I dislike quick-save, you are guaranteed victory with it, so the rebirth thingo isn't greatly different in the end but it doesn't interrupt the pacing of the game like quick-loading does.

I understand this. What I don't like about unkillable main characters is that this method screws with both gameplay balance and story elements.

The usual saving system is outside of story, and even gameplay to some extent. It gives the player excessive control without giving it to the character, if that makes sense.

mrthejoshmon said:

Quake 4 is a very hard game

I know, like I wrote - I learned it the hard way :P

I had thought along the lines "FPS games are becoming easier and easier to accomodate casuals... and I'm veteran... so what the hell - HIGHEST DIFFICULTY IT IS!"

In hindsight, I'm glad that Raven / id Software didn't care about trends of the time and delivered yet another fast-paced shooter which actually required skill to be good at.... damn... now I want to do another run of Q4, but this time I will choose normal difficulty :D

Antroid said:

first I'll have to defeat my stupid, stupid inability to pick a difficulty level that isn't the hardest one available.

I think Q4 is the right game (from "modern" ones) to choose to get "healed" from this condition :P

Patrol1985 said:

I know, like I wrote - I learned it the hard way :P

I had thought along the lines of "FPS games are becoming easier and easier to accomodate casuals... and I'm veteran... so what the hell - HIGHEST DIFFICULTY IT IS!"

In hindsight, I'm glad that Raven / id Software didn't care about trends of the time and delivered yet another fast-paced shooter which actually required skill to be good at.... damn... now I want to do another run of Q4, but this time I will choose normal difficulty :D

I think Q4 is the right game (from "modern" ones) to choose to get "healed" from this condition :P

Patrol1985 said:

It and RAGE both I feel, but I have quite a ways ahead of me before I am rid of the notion that the hardest difficulty is always the fullest challenge and lowering it means removing some of the interesting challenge from the game. Q4 I probably could handle, but fuckin' RAGE, thats just bullshit. In the very first dungeon if you show your face in front of a room with a couple of enemies with guns, they just kill you in a matter of seconds. But if I lower the difficulty, it's gonna eat at me every time something seems kinda easy. "This could've been way more interesting!"

God, I forgot Portal, which I totally loved. For messing with physics, that's #1.

Prey was overabundant with neat ideas (like, the mini-moon you shrink down to run around on), but the monsters on offer got a little samey towards the end. Once the level design opened up and stopped being claustrophobic, it became a much better game. Sadly, by that time, the game was nearly over.

Q4 had some great indoor spaces, but for me the depth-of-field feeling in the outdoor areas kinda fell flat on its face. Loved the multiplayer for a while. Wish it didn't have giant spider-walkers.

Rage was fun, but I could never quite get over the disjointed connection between city and wasteland areas (there's no reason to slow down once you approach the city gates, other than self-imposed game immersion). id might have gone with a doomerang rather than the tripod thing for their mellee stick, etc. Such are the nitpickings of anything from the source... I enjoyed it. Just moaning. Best character portraits in any game, with the vendors and all. Good minigames, but maybe it took away from the FP-focus and I kept missing the hallmark outdoor/indoor architectural integration evident even in E1M1.... Approach to the final courtyard should have had something guarding it...

Did anyone rate The Darkness?

I enjoyed the Darkness and Darkness 2 but the second game is a nightmare to replay. So, many, talking, NPC, don't, shut, up, ever.... ARGH!!

It's seriously horrible to replay since there's no way to cancel through the talking bits, only speed them up a little. I play these games for shooting god-damn it.

Antroid said:

Q4 I probably could handle, but fuckin' RAGE, thats just bullshit. In the very first dungeon if you show your face in front of a room with a couple of enemies with guns, they just kill you in a matter of seconds.

It's the other way round for me actually. The main helping factor in Rage is regenerating health. Sure, it takes forever on ultra-nightmare to fully heal, BUT the game should be no problem if you're willing to spend enough time in the hiding to let your health come back to normal. Also, consider using quick-use items (wingsticks, grenades). They really make a difference, especially grenades as you can use them without coming into sight with the enemy.

As for Quake 4, there is no regenerating health so even if you survive a battle and are left with 10 HP, the best you can do is look for a nearby medikit and if it's not there.... TOUGH LUCK :P

Antroid said:

But if I lower the difficulty, it's gonna eat at me every time something seems kinda easy. "This could've been way more interesting!"

Bear in mind that harder difficulty levels are almost always designed for people who already have experience with a given game. If you can easily beat a game on its highest difficulty level, then either it's a VERY similar game to something you had already played, or the person responsible for game balancing didn't do their job right. I consider balancing difficulty levels a VERY hard part of game design. Kudos to those who manage to pull it off properly.

MegaTurtleRex said:

In MGS2 Substance, there are even missions that are first-person only.

Patrol1985 said:

Bear in mind that harder difficulty levels are almost always designed for people who already have experience with a given game. If you can easily beat a game on its highest difficulty level, then either it's a VERY similar game to something you had already played, or the person responsible for game balancing didn't do their job right.

This might just be the notion that helps me overcome my habit. I admit I never thought of it like this, even though many games go "for players super experienced with this game" or something on the bottom of the screen when you highlight the hardest difficulties.
Although some games ARE good to play on the hardest difficulty right of the bat, like the thief games. Those aren't really becoming unfair, they just genuinely add objectives that you'd otherwise miss out on. That's the kind of stuff I'm afraid of when choosing "normal". Plus old console games have often had premature or incomplete endings if you pick a lower difficulty. Those fuckers may have conditioned me.

Speaking of RAGE again, quickslot items might help, but I really wanted to play that game like an arcade shooter and not a cover shooter, and it seemed pretty impossible on the difficulty that I picked back then, whatever it was. But then if I pick a lower one and can survive running in the open with enemies shooting at me, it will definitely feel like I've cheated and turned the game into some sort of terrible modern shooter where the player is a bullet sponge and the enemies only pretend to try to kill you. :(

Sorry for all this off-topic stuff..

IMHO the Crysis games aren't worth playing if you aren't playing on the hardest difficulty.

By contrast, Painkiller: Black Edition starts you off with Trauma unlocked as the hardest difficulty... This is not the way the game is intended to be played, I've discovered. Still fun though, so after I've beaten it I'll drop to Nightmare and play through again and then do the included expansion on Nightmare only. Trauma still isn't very challenging, though I assume this is due to my Serious Serious Sam experience.

I like the Halo series, Half-Life series, Portal, and I liked Serious Sam... I also enjoyed Borderlands to some extent. I am currently playing Oblivion.... I want to see more FPS games for consoles that take place in Hell.... seriously... was DOOM 64 the last good DOOM game (no offense DOOM 3 but stop using that name! That title belongs to DOOM 64 the true heir to DOOM 2!) but yeah. I'm getting Wolfenstein: The New Order... looks like it's going to be awesome! :D