Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Godzilla [2014]
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:14. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PRIMEVAL

I haven't seen a thread relating to it, so figured I'll make one. I'm an avid Godzilla fan, probably much more than I am of Doom, Quake, and Unreal combined. Something I grew up with and been following all my life. The last American film was sort of a let down as it basically used Godzilla's name in vain. A giant iguana that eats fish and is afraid of an incompetent military? Please... (it's an okay film, but it's not Godzilla by any means)

Now 10 years after Godzilla Final Wars we finally get another movie, one that is also American made. This time it seems to be very respectable to the original Japanese franchise drawing many elements from the original 1954 movie. The effects look astonishing, the acting seems well done, and it's friggin' Godzilla this time. My poor heart is barely able to handle this.

This past week alone we got 7 TV spots (so far) revealing more and more of Godzilla and the monsters that he is fighting (called Mutos). I'm running low on pants.

Note: Godzilla is the only Toho monster in this movie, no Rodan or Mothra or Hedorah or any other rumored kaiju. The monsters he is fighting will be 2 new original creations called Mutos (presumably one male [with flight] and one female [supposedly much larger]).

Some More links:

Official Main Trailer
International Trailer

It Can't Be Stopped TV spot
I Can't Believe This Is Happening TV spot
Whatever It Takes TV spot
Courage TV spot

What are your thoughts?

Old Post 04-04-14 19:22 #
PRIMEVAL is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kontra Kommando
Let's attack aggressively

Brian Cranston is an amazing actor. Therefore I will expect this movie to have a high level of integrity.

Old Post 04-04-14 19:41 #
Kontra Kommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

I was actually in Japan for the Godzilla: Final Wars release, and got to see it on opening day, which was a day before my birthday. 'Twas quite fun ^_^ They handed out small figures with the tickets. I still have mine somewhere, though I think it's packed away at the moment.

Anyway, the new Godzilla movie looks like it finally shows that Hollywood can do a decent Godzilla movie. The other one with the iguana just didn't cut it. One thing I noticed in the trailers for the new one is that they hint that they tried using a nuclear weapon to kill it. So already it's better than the other American movie; Godzilla isn't supposed to be killed by rockets from jets.

Old Post 04-04-14 20:42 #
yukib1t is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Last time watched godzilla in 1998 in movies. Maybe I should also try this after 16 years. Just came from movies after watching 12 years a slave,most impressive movie with long silent shots, fine actors etc, I didnt know there were also kidnapped slaves.

Old Post 04-04-14 21:18 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

It's Gojira, you moron...

Old Post 04-04-14 22:02 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

yukib1t said:
I was actually in Japan for the Godzilla: Final Wars release, and got to see it on opening day, which was a day before my birthday. 'Twas quite fun ^_^ They handed out small figures with the tickets. I still have mine somewhere, though I think it's packed away at the moment.

Anyway, the new Godzilla movie looks like it finally shows that Hollywood can do a decent Godzilla movie. The other one with the iguana just didn't cut it. One thing I noticed in the trailers for the new one is that they hint that they tried using a nuclear weapon to kill it. So already it's better than the other American movie; Godzilla isn't supposed to be killed by rockets from jets.

Yeah, they said that the 1940's and 50's nuclear bomb tests were actually them trying to kill it. They threw in a lot of fan service with the 1954 reference, having Akira Takarada be a cameo, having the Japanese scientist (Ken Watanabe) supposedly be named Ishiro Serizawa or something like that. This movie is full of "hnnnnnnnng" at the moment.

Old Post 04-04-14 22:17 #
PRIMEVAL is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Phobus said:
It's Gojira, you moron...
I suppose we should all call Sonic "Sonikku" instead? I don't see anything wrong with calling things by their localized names, so long as it isn't a total bastardization (unless you consider "Godzilla" to be too bastardized).

Old Post 04-04-14 22:27 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Sodaholic said:
I suppose we should all call Sonic "Sonikku" instead? I don't see anything wrong with calling things by their localized names, so long as it isn't a total bastardization (unless you consider "Godzilla" to be too bastardized).

I'm quoting the 90's American Godzilla. It's a joke :p

Old Post 04-04-14 22:29 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Phobus said:
I'm quoting the 90's American Godzilla. It's a joke :p
Heh, whoops. I've never seen that one, so I didn't know that was a reference.

Old Post 04-04-14 22:31 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

That's a lot of fish.

Old Post 04-04-14 22:35 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

Sodaholic said:
Heh, whoops. I've never seen that one, so I didn't know that was a reference.

Old Post 04-04-14 22:36 #
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

*Expects Red and Solomon to show up and steal the show*

Old Post 04-04-14 22:40 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

So after Pacific rim, are kaiju all the rage now?

Old Post 04-04-14 23:10 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

PRIMEVAL said:
Yeah, they said that the 1940's and 50's nuclear bomb tests were actually them trying to kill it. They threw in a lot of fan service with the 1954 reference, having Akira Takarada be a cameo, having the Japanese scientist (Ken Watanabe) supposedly be named Ishiro Serizawa or something like that. This movie is full of "hnnnnnnnng" at the moment.
Yeah I noticed he was in the cast! He had played Ogata in the original film. I'm curious what they're going to do with Dr. Serizawa, though. In the 1954 movie his name was Daisuke Serizawa, so maybe... a cousin? Son? An evil clone created by the monsters from Space Hunter Nebula-M?

Krispy said:
So after Pacific rim, are kaiju all the rage now?
God, I hope so. I loooooooooove kaiju films.

Old Post 04-04-14 23:31 #
yukib1t is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

Krispy, Godzilla was planned before Pacific Rim was ;)

yukib1t, this film is an origin film and it will not have any connection with the original series. Anything 1954 related in this film is merely just Gareth Edwards and the writers giving us a little nod, same with the scientist being named Serizawa. All little Easter eggs and fan service.

Old Post 04-05-14 00:39 #
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Godzilla: Final Wars was just a generic huge reptile defending its nest site, so I'm reserving judgement on this one until I've seen more than a few teaser trailers.

Old Post 04-05-14 03:19 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

Released at 4pm (EST) today:

Old Post 04-05-14 21:33 #
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

I am fangirling so hard right now.

Old Post 04-05-14 22:16 #
PRIMEVAL

yukib1t said:
I am fangirling so hard right now.

As am I, my friend. As am I.

Old Post 04-05-14 22:33 #
Superluigieth1

Yes, WHAT CAN POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Old Post 04-09-14 05:35 #
Superluigieth1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

Care to elaborate? What are your worries with the film?

Old Post 04-09-14 07:13 #
PRIMEVAL

Just gonna leave this here and cry my manly tears of happiness.

Old Post 04-15-14 21:06 #
Scet

GreyGhost said:
Godzilla: Final Wars was just a generic huge reptile defending its nest site

I think you're confusing Final Wars with Godzilla 1998. Hopefully this one will make people that haven't seen the other movies forget the '98 abomination.

Old Post 04-15-14 22:39 #
Scet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Scet said:

I think you're confusing Final Wars with Godzilla 1998. Hopefully this one will make people that haven't seen the other movies forget the '98 abomination.

I kinda liked that godzilla. Hated everything else about the movie but the giant lizard was fun.

Old Post 04-16-14 08:30 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

The Angry Video Game Nerd and the superb Godzilla Creepypasta have given me an interest in getting into Godzilla. Unfortunately, i saw the Matthew Broderick film. An absolute disaster. If that's what the American military can do - not be able to hit a 200 foot dinosaur with a special needs chin from the other side of the road - I might invade myself and become President. America clearly needs me. Not to mention the atrociously miscast leads, especially her who won a much deserved golden raspberry (although Broderick's acting sucked harder than she sucked that lollipop).

Where was I? Oh yes, the new Godzilla. Really got to say I don't think Hollywood has a fraction of the capability of the rest of the world, but I'll see it when it comes onto Sky Movies.

Old Post 04-16-14 16:34 #
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

rf` said:

I kinda liked that godzilla. Hated everything else about the movie but the giant lizard was fun.

He is a cool monster, I just don't think he qualifies for Godzilla x)

Old Post 04-16-14 18:04 #
StevieCybernetik

Sodaholic said:

better than sonichu...

Old Post 04-16-14 21:23 #
StevieCybernetik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scet

MajorRawne said:
Oh yes, the new Godzilla. Really got to say I don't think Hollywood has a fraction of the capability of the rest of the world

I believe Toho had quite a lot of input on this new movie, so it's not pure Hollywood. They were none too pleased with the Broderick disaster, and obviously don't want a repeat.

As for the 30-something other Godzilla movies, they probably have equally bad acting as the 1998 version, but I think the language barrier helps block it. Plus the rubber suit battles are awesome.

Old Post 04-17-14 00:44 #
Scet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Saw a trailer in the cinema earlier for this. Pretty stoked now - it's definitely one I'll be seeing when it comes out.

Old Post 04-17-14 01:14 #
yukib1t
Will DDR for food

Scet said:
As for the 30-something other Godzilla movies, they probably have equally bad acting as the 1998 version, but I think the language barrier helps block it. Plus the rubber suit battles are awesome.
A few had some pretty decent acting, and the first was really well done in that regard.

Old Post 04-17-14 02:21 #