Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tylerisepic1

New Call of Duty game.

Guest Unregistered account
Memfis said:

They are making these games just like Doomworld mappers keep making Doom wads so I'm not sure if we are in the position to complain. :P

And there are just as many.

What, 7,128,132,443,235?

Guest Unregistered account

I'm 12 and I hate COD.

This is getting far too old. I'm surprised anyone's falling for it!

Odd part about these releasing every year is that it takes 2 years for them to be complete. So now its like rowing 2 studios churning out every 2 years so they don't miss a year.

Waffenak said:

I'm still waiting for accurate fps game that is dedicated for german side of war only. Why cant gamestudios make one without fear of demonising.

They usually like to play safe and avoid any "controversial" stuff. Specially when they have expensive to make titles like CoD.

geo said:

Somehow that game would appeal to anti-CoDers. There's a legitimately good story there. Nazi's pretty much conquered Europe in 2 years was it? You play as conquerors and the game ends before the whole losing WW2 thing. Empire Earth 1 covered a pro Nazi campaign that was pretty good, but that's a RTS. I'm all for a pro Nazi game. Heck you don't even need to call them Nazi's or staple a country to them, just call them 'the Power.'

Really? I have to play Empire Earth 1 now. Yeah, it could have the campaigns covering the Nazis' conquest of Europe. And it could end with a swastikas in all european countries. It'd be a welcoming change to the typical "'murica fuck yeah!" that all CoDs are about.

Waffenak said:

I'm still waiting for accurate fps game that is dedicated for german side of war only. Why cant gamestudios make one without fear of demonising.

why be a Dirty Filthy Nazi when you can be a Glorious Invincible American instead?!!

Doomhuntress said:

why be a Dirty Filthy Nazi when you can be a Glorious Invincible American instead?!!

The Nazis got cooler outfits if you go past the basic grunts?

Waffenak said:

Better luck if you look for a book on such topics. I think they can get away with controversy better than games and films, because fewer people read novels. Pretty sure Wehrmacht point of view books exist.

Memfis said:

They are making these games just like Doomworld mappers keep making Doom wads so I'm not sure if we are in the position to complain. :P

The difference is that Doom modding is unofficial, high quality, and gratis. CoD games are being developed by the actual rights-holders for brand new installments, are often lazy in how content is produced (and could be called poor quality in quite a few cases), and they charge money.

It kind of bothers me how ReviewTechUSA says stuff like "face it, you're gonna buy the new Call of Duty." I actually have never bought any of the CoD games and have no intention to, the only times I've ever played it have been very shortly at other peoples houses (and didn't find the gameplay remotely enjoyable), and generally ignore the series.

You know, I used to hate the yearly COD releases, but honestly, I can't really say I mind it anymore. I don't blame the corporate juggernauts like Activision, or the many studios they subcontract the COD games out to; they're just doing what millions of consumers are telling them to do. It's not like they couldn't do something else, this is just what their fan base wants for the time being. I can't really be bothered to play the more recent COD games (I own and have beaten the first Modern Warfare, and haven't played one since), though I guess I might eventually pick up this upcoming one or one of the more recent ones to see if anything's really changed. Honestly, I'd be a liar if I claimed that I don't like some of the same stuff over and over(I could play Doom WADS till my fingers fell off, played through and loved all three Dead Space games, same with the Bioshock series, the FEAR games, etc.)

And yeah, Kevin Spacey kinda makes that trailer badass, despite all the clichéd actions and visual effects.

doomgargoyle said:

They usually like to play safe and avoid any "controversial" stuff. Specially when they have expensive to make titles like CoD.

I meant gamestudios generally, maybe someday some rookio studio takes the leap of faith and makes one for us. They would make shitload of dosh with if they succeed and get their names printed in history of gaming

Another game about democracy being defended/enforced with extreme violence? When Doom was starting to fade in popularity, they stopped releasing official games based on it. By Call of Duty standards, they could have kept releasing Doom games into the early 2000s. FINAL DOOM 3: BACK TO HELL.

EDIT: Heh, Advanced Warfare. This one looks a lot better than the last one, whose sole selling point was getting to be a dog.

MajorRawne said:

Another game about democracy being defended/enforced with extreme violence? When Doom was starting to fade in popularity, they stopped releasing official games based on it. By Call of Duty standards, they could have kept releasing Doom games into the early 2000s. FINAL DOOM 3: BACK TO HELL.

The key phrase there being, "When Doom was starting to fade in popularity." You're assuming that CoD isn't as popular now as it used to be, when in fact sales charts show the opposite to be true. Each game sells more than the last, more or less (there are exceptions, but as a general rule, the CoD market has been ever-increasing). You're assuming, as I'm sure we'd all like to assume, that shitty rehashes and uninspired sequels mean that there's no possible way the game could be increasing in popularity. We'd like to think, "Ha, it's a sign that they're desperate to squeeze every last cent out of the franchise while they still can before people get sick of it." The fact is, so many shitty sequels are released over and over again because the damn franchise prints money.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am absolutely not defending the games, and I frankly find it baffling that they just seem to get more and more popular with every new release, but there you have it. If anyone is mystified by how a company can abuse a franchise like that and still turn a profit, er, well, I can't explain why, but hot damn just look at the sales figures. Judging by sales alone, CoD isn't some dying franchise about to fade into obscurity, it's a friggin' powerhouse destroying all in its path.

I bought my first CoD game Finest Hour back when I had my Gamecube and my second and last CoD game World at War quite a few years ago, and boy did I find that game terrible, had a little fun with the multiplayer and nazi zombies but that was it, I have no intention of ever buying another.

My point, which I actually failed to make, was that Doom was kind of abandoned by id, but they keep churning Call of Duty games out. COD MW3 was in most ways a step back from 2; no co-op missions and the survival mode just wasn't that good apart from one or two maps. Yet they keep on hyping it and churning it out. What would have happened if id had done that with Doom and kept hyping each new game like they hyped the original?

Doominator2 said:

Now who thinks that Call of Duty, Primeval Warfare is next?

Nah, my money's on Call of Duty, Prehistoric Warfare

MajorRawne said:

My point, which I actually failed to make, was that Doom was kind of abandoned by id, but they keep churning Call of Duty games out. COD MW3 was in most ways a step back from 2; no co-op missions and the survival mode just wasn't that good apart from one or two maps. Yet they keep on hyping it and churning it out. What would have happened if id had done that with Doom and kept hyping each new game like they hyped the original?

Except you can't compare the situations at all. The reason id abandoned Doom was because Doom started to fade in popularity. So first off, you have to assume a world in which each new Doom game was even more popular than the one before it to even begin to make that kind of comparison. In other words, you have to imagine the fanbase being completely different, as well. So that means, Final Doom would have to be the most popular of the PC Doom games, overshadowing Doom 2 and blowing the original completely out of the water. And then, Doom 64 would have had to absolutely destroy Final Doom in terms of sales.

So let's work from there.. Even if that were the case, we still have the fact that id is a (relatively) small game developer, not some gigantic publishing powerhouse. This grants them a little more freedom to follow other pursuits, without profit having to be their bottom line. So who knows? Maybe even with Doom 64 outselling every other version of Doom known to man, maybe even then they say, "Let's focus our resources on developing new ip rather than constantly rehashing Doom."

But let's say they did just keep making new versions of Doom. Actually, I think I might have actually liked to have seen a version of Doom built on, say, the Quake engine, and then the Quake 2 engine (I'm ignoring things like YPOD for the moment). Well then, even then, the thing you have to remember is, this isn't them forcing it down our throats. This is us asking, no begging for more, and literally throwing money at them. However long the development of new Doom games lasts, it depends on whether or not people keep buying them.

I don't mean to harp on that point, it's just something that a lot of gamers don't seem to get - they really do have the final say in what games get released. They vote with their wallets. This isn't directed at you, MajorRawne, just something that really bugs me. And it's like, no one has the balls to attack the gamers themselves. No one's willing to blame the gaming public. It's always the evil corporate overlords who dictate what we play, never the fault of the players themselves CHOOSING to play the same crap every year. Why do people keep buying CoD games? That's the real question here. What's the appeal? Why do they sell so well?

Mr. Freeze said:

Why buy Doom 2 when I can buy Doom and get the gist of things?

Actually, that *is* a good question.

Doom 2 is more fun than every CoD game or CoD clone like Battlefield. Also, there was at least some excuse back in 1994. You can't make the jump from Wolfy to Doom Every single time, but at least the level design was quite different, there were new enemies, there was a new and interesting soundtrack..

Hell, why bother playing Super Mario World? You could play Mario 3 and get the idea.. Right? Not really. Again we come to the point that even though there's consistency throughout the series, each installment doesn't just feel like the same thing over and over because it gets jam packed with new content. Better items, noticeably better graphics, new music, new enemies.. But heck, now Nintendo does this same shit as well, just look at the "New Super Mario" series, they're virtually interchangeable, same story as the CoD games.

The only example of ID being guilty of this samey-release crap that Treyarch is doing might be Final Doom. Doom 2, okay, no big deal. Doing it again with final doom? Pretty lazy. But hey, that's a one-off situation, very much unlike what ID did throughout their duration. They were always pushing hardware to its furthest boundaries.

geekmarine said:

Why do people keep buying CoD games? That's the real question here. What's the appeal? Why do they sell so well?

From what I've seen, it's all in the realism. Even the "cool, manly" games of yesteryear's market took some of that nerdy "imagination" stuff, ew. With CoD and the likes, no imagination or sense of fantasy is required. It's all boiled down, nice and clean like. Hooray for appealing to the lowest common denominator! Yippee!

EDIT: I should clarify something here. The CoD games aren't as terrible as a lot of Doomers believe, you can have fun with a friend in multiplayer. I suppose from my view, it's more about just flat out losing respect, when greed outweighs passion. They're whores to the highest extent.

Mr. Freeze said:

Why buy Doom 2 when I can buy Doom and get the gist of things?

Actually, that *is* a good question.

Because owning Doom II allows you to play the endless stream of new, free content for Doom II. There is more to the game than "the gist". When you buy a game like CoD, you are supporting a future of mindless repetition in video games. I won't tell you not to buy it, though.

plums said:

There are people who's entire video game experience is yearly sports games plus CoD releases. Maybe GTA once in awhile? To them, consistency is a good thing. I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying that it's a very financially successful set of products and ideas such as "innovation" don't really factor into the way things get made.

With the exception of my few really-nerdy friends, this is basically the view of everyone else I work with.

When I first saw the name "Advanced Warfare", I thought that it was someone making fun/homage to "Modern Warfare", to which I assumed was irony (because Modern -> Advanced, in a literal sense).

Now the retro WWII shooter is a niche because no one wants to fire M1 Garands anymore.

tomocean22 said:

Because owning Doom II allows you to play the endless stream of new, free content for Doom II. There is more to the game than "the gist". When you buy a game like CoD, you are supporting a future of mindless repetition in video games. I won't tell you not to buy it, though.

Although Doom WADs do get quite repetitive after a while dont you think?

I walked past the CoD Lego knockoff toys today at Walmart. Its like GI Joe action figures ... but fake Lego vehicles.

MajorRawne said:

COD MW3 was in most ways a step back from 2; no co-op missions...

Well that's a flat-out lie. It has Spec Ops missions with optional 2-player split-screen as well as the survival mode. My brother and I have poured hours into the latter and only started exploring the former in our last gaming session - lots of fun and very challenging on Veteran!

I've not played Ghosts (I'd only want to do the campaign and then the odd bit of offline multiplayer if people were about) and I have no plan to get Advanced Warfare (no modern console), but I've played all of the campaigns from MW through to Black Ops 2 and enjoyed them all. BO2 in particular impressed me with a multiple-outcome campaign based on your choices and certain mission successes, but they've all been good fun. W@W probably beats the rest for that though, as you could co-op the campaign as well as enjoy Nazi Zombies or the standard 4-player split-screen. I like CoD for the action film experience campaign and challenging, high-intensity multiplayer. I don't buy the games because yearly 40-45 quid outlays seem pointless when only one person in a house or group of friends needs to own them, but I'll play them happily when they're there.

Frankly, in terms of playability I think more games need to have the options CoD does, with 4-player general split-screen and several sections of the game compatible with up to two players, as well as online multiplayer. The raft of customisation and loadouts is nice too.

I've only played CoD:MW2. Now that I've played Arma 3, CoD type 'realism' makes me laugh.

BTW, don't believe that Arma is hard to get into. Missions that don't require commanding a squad were only hard for the first 2-3 days of playing, before I unlearned all the crap FPS games taught me about cover and aiming. Once you're past that it's a very intense and satisfying gaming experience.

CoD was ruined for me with World at War. I have no idea if they fixed the "This is the best weapon, use it or GFY" concept, but oh my god World at War... I get noticeably angry whenever I see an MP40 in any context. It just ruthlessly dominated the weapon balance. You didn't even need to aim it, it had barely any impact on its accuracy. I grinded experience faster in that game by using only the MP40 rather than completing challenges. Fuck the MP40.

geo said:

Odd part about these releasing every year is that it takes 2 years for them to be complete. So now its like rowing 2 studios churning out every 2 years so they don't miss a year.

That's part of why they've gone to the three-studio solution; Sledgehammer is doing AW, then it'll be either Treyarch or Infinity Ward, then the other, then back to Sledgehammer. Minimize developer fatigue but continue putting out one a year. Blops2 was pretty decent, so another studio working on CoD besides the cannibilized remains of Infinity Ward probably can't hurt. If Sledge implements the wall climbing and jetpacks and hoverbikes and other stuff we saw in the trailer and not just as use-once mechanics so they can say they weren't lying about what would be in the game, and puts in some decent maps, it could be a decent SP experience compared to the usual spunkgargleweewee FUCK YEAH 'MURRIKA nonsense.