Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > What Is Art?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:00. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AndrewB
I would commit first degree murder and then fabricate evidence to make it look like self defense.

RUSH said:
But in reality so much of art you see at exhibits is complete rubbish - or is it?

People recently noticed a giant brick (about 5 feet cubed) of compressed used plastic bottles sitting on the street near where I live. After many resident complaints, the city confessed that it was an art piece for which they paid a local artist $10k.

Old Post 05-11-14 16:58 #
AndrewB is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomkid

Heh, the line between Art and Scam seems to be crossed quite frequently. That dude made some serious profit, I've often considering selling shoes with dogshit on them or something as fine art worth thousands, but in truth I think I'd rather have earned my tiny amount of money than rip others off to acquire loads of it.

Old Post 05-11-14 17:08 #
Doomkid is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimi

I remember there was this woman who dressed up as a vagina or a penis and walked around the town. I think some people complained about it.

Old Post 05-11-14 18:40 #
Jimi is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

AndrewB said:

People recently noticed a giant brick (about 5 feet cubed) of compressed used plastic bottles sitting on the street near where I live. After many resident complaints, the city confessed that it was an art piece for which they paid a local artist $10k.

Probably be worth a few dollars if you carted it off to the nearest waste recycling depot.

Old Post 05-12-14 04:24 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

GreyGhost said:
Probably be worth a few dollars if you carted it off to the nearest waste recycling depot.

But it's art! Art is priceless! Or is it worthless... I forget.

Old Post 05-12-14 04:31 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

Beauty is art. Thats all, those abstract paintings like the black square is just something that needs an explanation.

Old Post 05-12-14 07:04 #
joe-ilya is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Aliotroph?
postCount++

Doomkid92 said:
Heh, the line between Art and Scam seems to be crossed quite frequently. That dude made some serious profit, I've often considering selling shoes with dogshit on them or something as fine art worth thousands, but in truth I think I'd rather have earned my tiny amount of money than rip others off to acquire loads of it.

I'm happy to sell effortless crap to the kinds of wealthy people dumb enough to buy it. Now if only I could figure out how to make them like it.

Old Post 05-12-14 07:14 #
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Aliotroph? said:

I'm happy to sell effortless crap to the kinds of wealthy people dumb enough to buy it. Now if only I could figure out how to make them like it.

Give the art a backstory. It needs to represent something. Value quadruples.

edit: This large blob of paint that forms a black circle that I made in about 20 seconds represents the darkness surrounding a creature that is sad because it is the last of its kind. The circular brush marks form thousand upon thousands of thin lines which represent the thousands upon thousands of years which this proud race has reigned over its habitat. They started as few, and now with one left, everything has come full circle, giving the shape of the effortless blob.

1000 please.

Old Post 05-12-14 15:29 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote