Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Pointless features in games
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:56. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Doominator2
Forum Regular

Wiping the blood of of your sword in the new shadow warrior, the game even advertises it as a pointless feature.

Old Post 05-14-14 12:22 #
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

Doominator2 said:
Wiping the blood of of your sword in the new shadow warrior, the game even advertises it as a pointless feature.

Unless it does less damage with blood on the sword or you get a bonus for wiping it. But yeah I'd say that's a winner right there.

Old Post 05-14-14 13:08 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

I guess leaning in Jedi Academy would count as one, besides the available weapons since Jedi Outcast leaning really wouldn't be needed and you can't shoot while doing so, you can always go into third-person mode and turn the character to see whats on any side while behind a wall corner.

Old Post 05-14-14 14:49 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

The Wolfenstein (1992) scoring and lives system borders on pointlessness. I think its main use is to collect lives so you can die more before game-over. But unfortunately you respawn by restoring the whole level, which is just not fun to repeat, and if you also collect extra-lives, then it's nulled. Other games have done it better, such as Descent, where you respawn in the same session and have to retake your stuff, so it feels less like reloading the game and more like strategically using up your lives as a resource (and the score to raise them).

Old Post 05-14-14 20:24 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

I dunno, back in the day the Wolf scoring system was the reason for me coming back for an additional play or two to see if I could get a max score for an episode or something.

Old Post 05-14-14 20:37 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

I think the only reason the scoring/lives system was pointless in Wolf 3D was because the game's save-anywhere feature kinda rendered it pointless. You die, you reload your last save in the middle of the level you died in. Why bother with lives at all?

The most pointless feature I can think of is reloading in Rise of the Triad [2013]. It literally does nothing but waste time, because your clips were bottomless to begin with. Scoping would also be useless, since your guns aim the same regardless of whether you're scoped or shooting from the hip, but the small amount of zoom scoping gets you is actually useful for sniping distant enemies, so at least it has that going for it - more than reloading can say for itself. All reloading has going for it is that it has really cool animations.

Old Post 05-14-14 21:17 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Darch

GTA 2 tokens. They are just collectibles in the map that give you nothing, it's almost impossible to find them all, AND when you finish the game without picking them, you get a message like: "Didn't get all tokens, sucker!" or something. So they're not totally pointless, they provide frustration. Not that the real ending is much more than that.

Old Post 05-14-14 21:30 #
Darch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Shadow Hog said:
All reloading has going for it is that it has really cool animations.

That and some players have borderline fetishistic attitude to weapon reloading, judging by how ZDoom weapon mods nearly always feature reloading as a selling point.

Old Post 05-14-14 23:18 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Bashe

Super Metroid has the ability to moonwalk that you can set in the options before the game starts. While it's a neat little touch, it's ultimately useless because you won't be able to turn around while shooting or charging, and that hampers gameplay a lot.

Old Post 05-15-14 01:45 #
Bashe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

I sorta like RotT included reloading, despite how pointless it is. It's kinda like a take that at games that have you reload a lot. At least Pointless =/= Bad imo

Old Post 05-15-14 06:08 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dew
experts

The story in Crusader games - and many other 90s games with cinematic cutscenes. They heap cliche upon cheese, feature terrible acting and effects, connect poorly to ingame events and bloat the game by orders of magnitude. Pretty much everything that wasn't Command & Conquer was unwatchable.

Old Post 05-15-14 08:22 #
dew is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Doomhuntress
Forum Regular

Jimi said:
Megahealth rot in singleplayer was pretty dumb too.

i dunno, i thought it was pretty unique: you're given one hundred health points, which encourages you to rush through dangerous sections of the level, and take a lot of damage, which you then can absorb thanks to the extra health given. at least, it makes more sense in the first game with its fast-paced action, in the second one it IS a bit useless because gameplay never really makes you feel that threatened.

i'm not a huge fan of having to unlock stuff that requires subsequent playthroughs to get. i mean, if you get a super-weapon that destroys all challenge in the game, but you need to beat the game on every difficulty level, what's the point? there's no need to use it on the hardest difficulty anymore, because you already beat it. or if it's simply stupid cosmetic stuff, like the wallpapers in Advance Wars DS. there's one for every CO in the game, but you can ONLY get them by beating the game, and having these COs being in the top three COs you used in that playthrough.

Old Post 05-15-14 09:57 #
Doomhuntress is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

There's nothing like watching someone get themselves killed due to the reloading animation in RotT 2013. Pointless feature, fun social experiment.

Old Post 05-15-14 10:03 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
cq75
Mini-Member

ASD said:

Mouse is more effective, and I never bothered to press the turnaround during the keyboard times and thought basic turning was equally fast.

the only time I used 180 quick turn was in an arch vile trap in MM map12, it was useful for that, though.

Old Post 05-15-14 11:27 #
cq75 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

Cutscenes in any game.

Old Post 05-16-14 19:37 #
joe-ilya is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kontra Kommando
Let's attack aggressively

For old-school games, I always thought it was pointless to have a high score list that always resets every time you turn the game on again.

Old Post 05-16-14 21:53 #
Kontra Kommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Kontra Kommando said:
For old-school games, I always thought it was pointless to have a high score list that always resets every time you turn the game on again.
They probably felt it mandatory as kids were so conditioned to arcade machines.

Old Post 05-16-14 22:19 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote