Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Weapon and Method
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:47. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Insomniak
Doesn't Sleep!

What is your favorite weapon for taking out a monster, and what's the stratigy you use?

Old Post 05-06-02 10:49 #
Insomniak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dsm
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Minigun like weapons - depending on how the weapon is designed in a game, I typically spin it up behind cover and then jump out of hiding spraying death at the enemy. I use this strategy with the Venom gun in RtCW - I typically fire in bursts because it's the most accurate.
Quake 2's chaingun is more simple: just point and shoot until the enemy is gibbed - I'm so used to the gun that I can often predict when I've held down the fire key long enough, so I release the key and let the "downspin fire" finish off the monster.

Old Post 05-06-02 11:34 #
dsm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
IMJack
Web Radio Geek

The good ol' single-barreled shotgun for the weaklings: get in their face and blow 'em to hell.

I've taken a liking tot he spray weapons in C&C:Renegade. The Chem Gun, in particular, is useful against all the normal NODs and works quite well against ceiling guns and the like. The only problem is it's uselesss against Chem Troopers and actually heals Tiberium mutants, and there's a chance it'll turn an enemy into a Visceroid.

I think dsm would love Renegade's Laser Chaingun. It'll blow the shit out of everything, even some weaker buildings.

Old Post 05-06-02 11:50 #
IMJack is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

CIRCEL STRAF!!@$

Old Post 05-06-02 12:09 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Insomniak
Doesn't Sleep!

err...just so you guys know, i was refering to Doom for this question.

Old Post 05-06-02 12:20 #
Insomniak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Erik

rocket launcher, shooting multiple rockets while running towards the target so that all the rockets impact at almost the same time.

Old Post 05-06-02 15:04 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darkstalker
Should be mapping

Shotgun just for the sound it makes.

Old Post 05-06-02 15:06 #
Darkstalker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dsm

Hm Doom, that'll be the single barreled shotgun for taking down imps.
*Blam**uurrrghh**chuck-chack*
Taking imps down with the chaingun is fun too - now, if only that chaingun fired at a faster rate.
...and had a cool "drum-spinning" sound.
/Me gets a drool fit at the thought of a potential Doom 3 chaingun :-P~|

Old Post 05-06-02 18:19 #
dsm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Submerge
Dumboy traded my soul for pogs

I like to use the plasma rifle. When i'm up against several weak monsters, i go for a wall of plasma approach. When faced with medium strength foes, I prefer short bursts. anything strong, I go all out.

Old Post 05-06-02 19:53 #
Submerge is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
læmænt
BAND

Erik said:

rocket launcher, shooting multiple rockets while running towards the target so that all the rockets impact at almost the same time.
Same thing but with BFG :)

Old Post 05-06-02 20:30 #
læmænt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Spike
Team Future has a new Giger-esque in the works

Zombies and Imps - Take out whole groups of em with the d/b shotgun.
Demons and Spectres - see above, but get em right in the face :)
Knights, Barons, Revs and Mancs - Circling the gits from a safe distance while hammering em with rockets.
Viles - That's what the BFG was made for.
Cacos, Pains, Lost Souls and Arachnotrons - chaingun (circling method works well here too, but the fire rate stops them from firing back)

Old Post 05-06-02 21:20 #
Spike is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nxn
meephead

Spike said:
Zombies and Imps - Take out whole groups of em with the d/b shotgun.
Demons and Spectres - see above, but get em right in the face :)
Knights, Barons, Revs and Mancs - Circling the gits from a safe distance while hammering em with rockets.
Viles - That's what the BFG was made for.
Cacos, Pains, Lost Souls and Arachnotrons - chaingun (circling method works well here too, but the fire rate stops them from firing back)

cybie = fist
spidy = chainsaw

hardcore!

Old Post 05-06-02 22:00 #
nxn is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dsm

My standard tactics:
fist: never use it unless berserk powered - use it when I see an imp standing just around a corner (AND if I'm not all overloaded with ammo).
chainsaw: use it against bull demons, rarely against anything else.
pistol: only used in the beginning - never used anytime else unless I warp (idclev) to a specific map just to play it. In the latter case, I use it to finish off imps if I failed to kill them in my first shotgun blast.
shotgun: against individual imps or two-three imp groups, in Ultimate Doom I use it against almost everything depending on situation.
Double barreled shotgun: Against everything depending on situation - I try to avoid using it against individual former humans or individual imps.
chaingun: against large groups of imps/former humans and against everything which easily make the pain animation (mostly cacos and PEs)
Rocket launcher: against large groups of bull demons (only on rare occasions) and against everything tougher than bull demons.
Plasma rifle: typically against large groups of medium tough enemies and against anything tougher than imps.
BFG 9k: against groups of tough monsters, against hordes of non-former human monsters and against really tough monsters (Archvile, BoH).

Old Post 05-06-02 22:42 #
læmænt
BAND

As a rule, I use BFG in situations where I see that it would be more useful than spending 40 plasma cells. Which is rather often.

BFG is your friend! :)

Old Post 05-07-02 00:08 #
læmænt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Super Shotgun, because it even makes BoHs think twice before advancing upon you.

Old Post 05-07-02 01:03 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dsm

the_Danarchist said:
Super Shotgun, because it even makes BoHs think twice before advancing upon you.

Except that they don't think twice - they just attack you mindless of their own safety.
I haven't seen them try to keep their distance from me while toting the db shotty.

Old Post 05-07-02 10:43 #
Insomniak
Doesn't Sleep!

Imps and former humans: Bererk or Single barrel SG, point blank range

Demons/spectres: SSG, point blank range

Mancubus: Chaingun or Plasma rifle from about 10 feet away

Revenent: a couple of blasts from the SSG, stay at least 10 feet away, circle strafe.

BoH: 20-30 feet away with rockets

Hell Knight and Arch-vile: point blank blast with BFG

Caco, Pain Elemental, and LS: chaingun at point blank

Cybie: Circle strafe with rockets

Spidermind: put something in between me and it's chaingun, hit with BFG or rockets.

Old Post 05-07-02 11:34 #
Zro

The good old super shotgun. Sometimes i run out of shells when level has lot of Barons and Knights, while i have 100 rockets.

(BTW, i just love Immoral Conduct :))

The Links:
IWADs
S o u r c e ports
maps
tools
Frontend
Editor

Old Post 05-07-02 15:55 #
Zro is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy

dsm said:

Except that they don't think twice - they just attack you mindless of their own safety.
I haven't seen them try to keep their distance from me while toting the db shotty.

Be quiet! You're making too much sense!

Old Post 05-08-02 00:49 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Weedster
Cren/Banned

Shotgun - weaklings

SSG - Larger enemies

Plasma Rifle - To satisfy my power hunger

RL - If I'm in the mood to blow things up...

BFG - If I need that tumultuous burst of energy and want everything dead simultaneously

Old Post 05-08-02 05:28 #
Weedster is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

RUSH RUSH RUSH, POINT BLANK SS SHOT, RETREAT, REPEAT.

Old Post 05-08-02 05:33 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dsm

Zaldron said:
RUSH RUSH RUSH, POINT BLANK SS SHOT, RETREAT, REPEAT.

Would you do the same if you were in a large, open area with at least 400-500 feet between you and the enemies and the enemy consisted of a large group of chaingunners lined up?

Old Post 05-08-02 10:53 #
JavaGuy

dsm, you'd love the abbs weapon pack for JDoom. It is has the kind of chaingun you're looking for (as long as you keep all it's files together).

I use the shotgun for everything, even Barons of Hell.

My mind is an empty shell. Other's thoughts enter, bouncing off the walls an' echo. Never thinking for myself or but for myself I think. So now I've left it all behind finished 'least with a good deed. A long road awaits, and I'm on my own.... I feel pretty good.

Last edited by JavaGuy on 05-08-02 at 11:19

Old Post 05-08-02 10:58 #
JavaGuy is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

dsm said:

Would you do the same if you were in a large, open area with at least 400-500 feet between you and the enemies and the enemy consisted of a large group of chaingunners lined up?

Yes.

Old Post 05-08-02 16:19 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dsm

Ah yes, and let me add you're at 50% health and have no armour >:-)

Old Post 05-08-02 16:45 #
Danarchy

Yes! SSG berzerker!

Note that that is exactly how I play Counter-Strike.

Old Post 05-09-02 23:19 #
VileSlay

my main weapon is the super shotgun. 2 pointblank shots to take out a revenant. I also like to sniper the weaker enemies with either sg. if I can sneak up on a cacodemon its chainsaw time. if not chaingun'em. I do the hit and run with rockets for the big guys ie: BoH, CyberD, if I have the room.

Old Post 05-10-02 08:20 #
VileSlay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Chainsaw - demons, imps, zombies
Fists - almost everything (only with berserk pack)
Pistol - zombies
Shotgun - imps, demons, zombies, cacodemons
Super Shotgun - almost everything
Chaingun - lost souls
Rocket Launcher - big enemies or groups of small enemies
Plasma Rifle - almost everything
BFG 9000 - I hardly use it, but when I do, I use it on big enemies only

Old Post 05-10-02 08:40 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dsm

VileSlay said:
I also like to sniper the weaker enemies with either sg.

How the fuck do you snipe with the db shotgun? In my version of Doom 2 it's useless on anything above "fairly close range". The only weapons you can do anything remotely related to sniping with in Doom is the chaingun and the sb shotgun.
Are you sure you don't mean "ambush"?

Old Post 05-10-02 11:48 #
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

dsm said:
Ah yes, and let me add you're at 50% health and have no armour >:-)

And a completely plain area? I always take advantage of the terrain. A column is all I need to take them down.

Note that that is exactly how I play Counter-Strike.

Heh, same here.

Old Post 05-10-02 12:06 #