Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

Mortal Kombat X teaser

:D

I'm kinda wondering if and how they're going to continue the arc from MK9, considering most of the old characters are dead. Heh.

Obsidian said:

:D

I'm kinda wondering if and how they're going to continue the arc from MK9, considering most of the old characters are dead. Heh.

I am not sure if things such as plot are taken very seriously in the Mortal Kombat series. I think the whole plot of Mortal Kombat 9 started with all of the characters being dead and things being changed somehow with some kind of time travel bullshit. I fail to see why the next mortal kombat game could not just do the same. Or just restart the series, for that matter.

Death is not a big problem in Mortal Kombat. If it was, the series would have ended after the first installment ;)

Hey, MK9 was the game that finally made me start to give a shit about Mortal Kombat. As a series, I had just never really gotten into it, as the combat always felt so damn clunky. Mind you, I am far from an expert at the game, but I got good enough that I could enjoy it in single player mode at the very least. Thus, I might actually be excited about MKX - ooh, the trailer makes me wonder if it's gonna have environmental attacks a la Injustice: Gods Among Us. I mean, it's not a huge deal, but I had a lot of fun in Injustice being able to use background objects against my opponent.

Not sure how they can improve the last one other than adding a run system. Their teaser is pretty typical.... Scorpion vs Sub-Zero. Haven't seen that in a trailer before.

Am I the only one who reads the thread title as "Mortal Kombat Xaser"?

The scorpion model in the trailer... something about it just seems so odd to me. A ninja with a leather looking hoody. But at the same time it is a very nice looking character design.

Gez said:

Am I the only one who reads the thread title as "Mortal Kombat Xaser"?

"FINISH HIM!"

*Xaser crushes opponent with avalanche of image macros*

"XATALITY!"

DooMAD said:

Or if you can't be arsed to sign in to confirm your age: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIu8Gqa7K2k

What's with the crappy rap music?

Seems to be the bigger topic than the reveal itself. Its like how shitty action movies have rap in the background and rap stars as 'the black guy,' because action and fighting isn't just for white people. Even when Jax was a white guy on a design board someone in the company said... shouldn't we have one black guy? Then Ed Boon said, you're right! All black ninja Noob Saibot! Face palm.

My roommate and I lost our shit at that teaser last night during the sony conference. Seriously, when the dude punches the hole in the dude and the heart flops down.. just rofl.

The bone crushing stuff is really cool but I find it takes away from the fluidity of the battle. This is why Street Fighter (IMO) still champions MK. I want a really smooth, responsive fight without any interruptions or bullshit plot threads. The gore is a bonus and should remain unintrusive, though SF4, too, was pushing it at times with it's combo animations.

I'm digging these fatalities, though. I want my fatalities fast and gruesome. An MK 9 fatality could take several minutes to complete and was a little eye-roll worthy when the sequence finally came to completion.

Wow, the gameplay looks pretty good - and looks like I was right, they are taking environmental-based moves from Injustice. I wonder what else they're going to change in terms of fighting mechanics - it definitely looks different from MK9. Wonder if they're gonna do something about the whole teleporter spam business?

I love what they've done with the MK series, and really digging the darker tone. Between Doom4 reveal and MK I haven't been this excited for any new games since Doom3. Though the best part, is they were so blown away by MK9 sales for pc MK X 'I Think' is launching on the PC along with console from day one.

I assumed the X-ray attacks in MK9, before ever playing it, were kind of stupid and would fuck up the flow, but after purchasing and playing it they weren't all that bad imo.

Actually, I think X-Ray attacks do break up the flow a bit, and they are a bit repetitive (shame each character only has one), but I think they add a lot to gameplay balance. It's nice that even if you're being steamrolled, a well-timed X-Ray attack can get you back into the game. I mean, if you suck you suck, and you're gonna lose anyway, but they do allow you to recover if you made a few early mistakes. Actually, I really like how the concept was utilized in Injustice (sorry to keep bringing that game up, but it's kinda hard not to). Injustice really added a layer of strategy to them in that if an opponent was close to losing their first life bar, using it would end up basically wasting it - and there was the balance between using your super move and saving the bar in case your opponent wagered. God, listen to me, I'm the guy who always always always hated fighting games. Friends wanted to play Street Fighter, I wanted to play Mario Kart. They wanted to play Mortal Kombat, I wanted to play Star Fox. Now I'm practically a fighting game junkie (I'm still terrible at them though lol).

No offense to the artists, but I think real actors would be way better than the fake cartoons. Would look awesome with all the drool, blood, sweat, and teeth showing in a dark 3d world.

This was from a canceled HD fan remake:

What a load of crap. They can't possibly be still raking in that much dough from the original Mortal Kombat. Unless you're planning your own HD remake, it's nothing but free promotion for the franchise. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they may feel the need to do this, just kind of a crappy move, especially in light of, for instance, Valve giving Black Mesa their official blessings and not freaking out and being like, "Hey, that's gonna kill our sales on a 16-year-old game!"

Mortal Kombat 9 was already an amazing HD remake of all 3 games.

But I wouldn't mind seeing these models as mods.

FireFish said:

MK HD Komunity edition, that game got cancelled because they sent threats like cease and desist type of things, probably because the quality of the fan game was to high, lol...

This is why big projects like this should stay under the radar until some kind of release. The release may not be well publicized and thus may go unknown, but at least they may be safer from a company's wrath.

To me, this was the biggest thing at E3. I have no idea who here really enjoys this series, but it's as close to me as Doom (maybe a tad bit closer? Who knows!)

From what we know, MKX takes place in a 25 year span after MK9. Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade have a daughter at some point (Cassie Cage), who is one of the fighters now. Each character has three separate variations which changes their special moves. For instance, Sub-Zero has "Cryomancer" which focuses on creating ice weapons, Scorpion has "Ninjustu", which allows him to use swords, and they both have two other variations which change things quite a bit. So there's now a new element to the meta-game that wasn't there before. Pretty hyped!

Also what Ed Boon is calling "leveraging" is in. Basically these are scaled down background interactions from Injustice: Gods Among Us, so you can flip off one side of the screen, grab a barrel and throw it at your opponent, etc. etc.

It's coming out for current gen, last gen, and PC, with someone else doing the last gen port. Honestly I couldn't be more excited, I loved MK9 and this one seems to build on that foundation heavily rather than just being a reskin with a new character or two and balance changes (like Street Fighter).

Marty Razor Kirra said:

To me, this was the biggest thing at E3. I have no idea who here really enjoys this series, but it's as close to me as Doom (maybe a tad bit closer? Who knows!)

From what we know, MKX takes place in a 25 year span after MK9. Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade have a daughter at some point (Cassie Cage), who is one of the fighters now. Each character has three separate variations which changes their special moves. For instance, Sub-Zero has "Cryomancer" which focuses on creating ice weapons, Scorpion has "Ninjustu", which allows him to use swords, and they both have two other variations which change things quite a bit. So there's now a new element to the meta-game that wasn't there before. Pretty hyped!

Also what Ed Boon is calling "leveraging" is in. Basically these are scaled down background interactions from Injustice: Gods Among Us, so you can flip off one side of the screen, grab a barrel and throw it at your opponent, etc. etc.

It's coming out for current gen, last gen, and PC, with someone else doing the last gen port. Honestly I couldn't be more excited, I loved MK9 and this one seems to build on that foundation heavily rather than just being a reskin with a new character or two and balance changes (like Street Fighter).

Right there with ya brother! It's going to be awesome.

I liked MK 9 a lot. I thought the story was pretty decent as well. But certain things kind of bugged me. Like why did Scorpion feel bad about killing Sub-zero? Isn't he an assassin that returned from hell for a blood-vengeance on the person that killed him and his family? (even though it was shang tsang in the form of sub-zero supposedly) I really don't get it.

I guess that was the beauty of old-school game story telling. It really left more to the imagination. Whether or not that was intentional, it forced to player to use their imagination a lot more back 1992.

I remember being a eight years old, telling my uncle about the Scorpion and Sub-Zero back story. That's when I actually first heard of Doom. I recall he said, "That's cool, but there is this other game where you fight demons. Also, its in 3D; you see what your character is seeing." I remember that blew my mind. I recall playing it for the first time too. My uncle controlled the movement via keyboard, I controlled the mouse and got to shoot stuff. Who would have thought 20 years later I would still be playing that game. Moreover, I'm probably now my uncle's age, from when he first showed Doom to me.