Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Man kickstarts to get $10 to make potato salad

Looper said:

I would rather donate $10 for this potato salad than for the starving kids in Africa because throwing money in that continent won't fix the problems.

Sad, but true. Almost all donations, including UNICEF, have at most a local relief/damage control effect. Even supposing that your donation money really helps building a school, purifying water, and vaccinating some kids, what good will it do if the very next day they are killed by their country's dictator, warlords, terrorists, brainwashed by the local Imams or enlisted as child soldiers? You donations do nothing to solve those problems.

Worse still, with your donations you might simply help the next generation of illegal migrants barely survive through their miserable childhood just to find them on your doorstep, full of resentment, hungry, and a headful of Islam and hating your guts for being an "infidel".

Saw this on the news again. Turns out its a full grown man not a kid.

He said he'll give the extra to charity. Kickstarter says nope can't give it to charity you get it all. Well Kikcstarter gets a percentage.

An idiot and their money are soon parted.

Technician said:

Why not? Stupider shit got funded. At least we know he's probably capable of actually fulfilling his pitch.

He's a better man than me if he can say the names of thousands of people while making a batch of potato salad. At this point he might need all the money to mechanize the process just so he can make enough salad.

Maes said:

Sad, but true. Almost all donations, including UNICEF, have at most a local relief/damage control effect. Even supposing that your donation money really helps building a school, purifying water, and vaccinating some kids, what good will it do if the very next day they are killed by their country's dictator, warlords, terrorists, brainwashed by the local Imams or enlisted as child soldiers? You donations do nothing to solve those problems.

Worse still, with your donations you might simply help the next generation of illegal migrants barely survive through their miserable childhood just to find them on your doorstep, full of resentment, hungry, and a headful of Islam and hating your guts for being an "infidel".

Let's Kickstart a better dictator!

I wonder if I wanted to kickstarter 'buy me Doom' if it would garner $1,000 if all I wanted was $5 to buy it on Steam.

The news said someone is now trying this for cole slaw.

Speaking of charities, how many fucking dollars do we have to dump on breast cancer awareness to get a cure? Somebody has to pocketing all that. I'm not convinced spreading awareness (whatever the fuck that does at all) is helping to "fight" it, or that the missing cancer panacea has anything to do with a lack of funding considering every corporation in the world is selling wristbands, bumper stickers and pink shit or shoving collection buckets in your face.

I kinda get a chuckle out ofm the whole breast cancer awareness/charity thing. There are so many life threatening cancers that really need the awareness. I've seen packages of mushrooms that were pink.

Woman's causes are just really marketable these days.

40oz said:

Speaking of charities, how many fucking dollars do we have to dump on breast cancer awareness to get a cure? Somebody has to pocketing all that. I'm not convinced spreading awareness (whatever the fuck that does at all) is helping to "fight" it, or that the missing cancer panacea has anything to do with a lack of funding considering every corporation in the world is selling wristbands, bumper stickers and pink shit or shoving collection buckets in your face.

It's become an industry in itself. It makes me wonder what they will all do if an actual cure is ever found.

Technician said:

I kinda get a chuckle out ofm the whole breast cancer awareness/charity thing. There are so many life threatening cancers that really need the awareness. I've seen packages of mushrooms that were pink.

Woman's causes are just really marketable these days.

The fuck are you talking about? The fuck all of you are talking about, nitwits? Go educate yourselves, you goddamn fucking hillbillies. Cure for cancer, lol. Really, the amount of ignorance is astounding, cancer doesn't work that way. There is no magic treatment, because cancer is already there, lurking in the genes, getting boosted by external carcinogenic elements.

Breast cancer is one of the most common and easiest to counter types of cancer - but you need exactly that kind of awareness programs. They save our healthcare system billions on inefficient late stage treatment. Prostate cancer would get the same amount of notoriety if men weren't so fucking ashamed of having their dick malfunctioning. Preemptive screening is always better than late stage irradiating. If you think otherwise, you are a fucking shithead and I will taunt you a second time.

dew said:

The fuck are you talking about? The fuck all of you are talking about, nitwits? Go educate yourselves, you goddamn fucking hillbillies. Cure for cancer, lol. Really, the amount of ignorance is astounding, cancer doesn't work that way. There is no magic treatment, because cancer is already there, lurking in the genes, getting boosted by external carcinogenic elements.

When did I suggest anything about a cure? I know a cure is impossible. I suggest you better hone-in on your aiming skills when firing fits of spasm.

Breast cancer is one of the most common and easiest to counter types of cancer - but you need exactly that kind of awareness programs.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Hell, Susan G. Komen Foundation, the driving force behind all this, has sued others just on the use of the phrase "for the cureâ„¢" and has inhibited other non-profit cancer foundations. They're trying to monopolize this shit to line their pockets.

This. Whole. Thing. Is a marketing ploy.

As I've discovered these last couple days, this forum is filled with knee-jerk reactionaries. Breast cancer inevitably caused the death of my mother and I can muster up a rational thought on this subject without going on a tirade.

Ichor said:

It's become an industry in itself. It makes me wonder what they will all do if an actual cure is ever found.

They'll find or create some other cause to champion. I don't mind supporting worthy causes but try to draw the line at merchandising, since most of the money for that stuff is lining the pockets of middlemen.

40oz said:

My aunt's sister recently died of breast cancer in the past month, oddly enough the lung cancer she had for 5 years never got her.

Someone on Facebook recently posted the whole pink = breast cancer awareness isn't finding a cure no matter how much charity goes to it. How NFL spends millions of dollars for one game for breast cancer awareness, but never donates to finding a cure. Its like wearing green for St. Patricks day now or red for Valentine's Day.

Its just a clothing item at this point.

Okay, this made me laugh my fucking ass off. He now has over $50,000.
Power to the dude, EVERYONE who's rich gets their money by abusing the stupidity of the common man to their own advantage, this guy just figured out how to do it the easiest way possible AND without lying or doing anyone harm.

People don't donate this kind of money to the poor because, well, people are dumb.

Technician said:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Hell, Susan G. Komen Foundation, the driving force behind all this, has sued others just on the use of the phrase "for the cureâ„¢" and has inhibited other non-profit cancer foundations. They're trying to monopolize this shit to line their pockets.

This. Whole. Thing. Is a marketing ploy.

I shouldn't have singled you out and I apologize for that. It was the combined might of the three posts above mine that dulled the message and made the "lol why no cure yet" impression. I agree that the overblown, pompous pink ribbon campaign is missing the mark by a wide margin (or perhaps hitting the true money dissolving mark with laser precision), but I wouldn't bash all of the awareness campaigns. Not if they really manage to bring some people to screenings they would otherwise ignore. Thanks for the links, btw.

Oh and re: the original topic, I wouldn't go as far as pontificating about noble charities, but there's a lot of good ideas to kickstart right there at that site. Nope, the Interweb's ADHD brigade needs its bandwagons to be absurd and pointless. I think this best illustrates how flawed the entire crowdfunding concept is - your only chance is going viral or already having the power over crowds.

Next stop: Zach Braff kickstarts a movie about the potato salad kickstarter, makes billions.

The next step will be requesting money "just because", and to "award" early and high pledgers, handing out "dumbass", "sucker", "money cow" and "line up and fuck me in the ass" 'awards'.

Maes said:

The next step will be requesting money "just because", and to "award" early and high pledgers, handing out "dumbass", "sucker", "money cow" and "line up and fuck me in the ass" 'awards'.

There was an iPhone app like that in the early days. It had a title like "I Am Rich" and just showed a shiny gem thing when you ran it. It cost something like $1000. Apple wasn't happy and removed it.

Aliotroph? said:

There was an iPhone app like that in the early days. It had a title like "I Am Rich" and just showed a shiny gem thing when you ran it. It cost something like $1000. Apple wasn't happy and removed it.

Ah yeah that one. If I recall, there actually were people that bought it. No idea they were at least 8, though O_o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Rich

dew said:

Ever heard of chemotherapy?

geo said:

So far he has $36,000

He has 58000$ as of now, why is the money count is rising so fucking faaaast?!

Also:It's over nine thousaaaaaaaaand!!!!!!!!!!

joe-ilya said:

He has 58000$ as of now, why is the money count is rising so fucking faaaast?!

Also:It's over nine thousaaaaaaaaand!!!!!!!!!!

58000 dollars!?! I would rather see that money go to feeding starving kids in third world nations or help people out of poverty. what a waste of money.

Also, are over 9000 jokes still considered funny these days?

j4rio said:

Ever heard of chemotherapy?

"It kills cancer cells and it also kills every other cell. But at least it kills the cancer cells!"

Yeah, I don't buy into it at all.

dew said:

The fuck are you talking about? The fuck all of you are talking about, nitwits? Go educate yourselves, you goddamn fucking hillbillies. Cure for cancer, lol. Really, the amount of ignorance is astounding.

dew said:

but you need exactly that kind of awareness programs.

my post was drawn out directly by the overexposure of these programs. Just today I was driving behind a vehicle with a pink ribbon bumper sticker that read verbatim "I support the search for a cure."

this is your cancer awareness programs you speak so highly of at work. Are you sure you know who the idiots are?

Obsidian said:

"It kills cancer cells and it also kills every other cell. But at least it kills the cancer cells!"

Yeah, I don't buy into it at all.

That's probably because it's complete bullshit. The latest chemotherapy kills only cancer cells, but only those which are not genetically adapted. In other words, in early stages chemotherapy can usually cure cancer. Yes, it has side effects that are not pretty but all are reatively rare and particularly less evil than certain slow painful death.

Wait, Kickstarter can do 10-dollar campaigns?

reality 2.0 said:

58000 dollars!?! I would rather see that money go to feeding starving kids in third world nations or help people out of poverty. what a waste of money.

Also, are over 9000 jokes still considered funny these days?

Well... its the shitty video game effect. An awful video game? Let's all buy it!

He's getting close to 60000!
Why can't my parents get so much money within such few days?!!!!!!! That's just disgusting, it's like they only care about potatos but not about the poor. What a sad stupid and dumb little big world we have here, that's really a big shame for humanity to be so damn pathetic! Really!

Even if you want to go down the "give the money to charity" route, you're always gonna be faced with the possibility that your money could've been better spent - was the charity worthy enough? Is there another charity out there that's better? You know, that sort of thing. Not saying that one should never donate to charity, just pointing out that it's easy to go down that rabbit hole of, "Could I have done better?" No matter how much you try to overthink it, I'm sure there's always gonna be something out there that would've been a better use for your money.