Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

45 years ago today...

...the Apollo 11 crew: Commander Neil A. Armstrong, Command Module Pilot Michael Collins, and Lunar Module Pilot Edwin E. "Buzz" Aldrin Jr, on July 20th 1969 at 4:18 PM, EDT piloted the Lunar Module "Eagle" towards a region of the moon called the Mare Tranquillitatis, also known as the Sea of Tranquility. Mankind had finally done it - we had succeeded in landing on another celestial object, our very own moon. Mankind had traversed the 200,000 and so many more miles to do what our distant ancestors would have thought highly improbable, if not altogether impossible. Truly one of the greatest days in the history of humankind. Next stop: Mars.

I always laughed at how moon hoax theories only cover the first moon mission in detail. There have been several others, but no, those are not even mentioned or "analyzed" in such great detail (flag, dust, etc.) as the first one.

I thought the only Moon hoax was that there was a rod attached to the flag to give it the appearance that it was waving in the air or something.

Clonehunter said:

I thought the only Moon hoax was that there was a rod attached to the flag to give it the appearance that it was waving in the air or something.

No the theory was it shouldn't be waving at all in zero G. The MythBusters did a whole episode debunking these claims.

Technician said:

No the theory was it shouldn't be waving at all in zero G.

But the surface of the moon isn't even 'zero-G'... O_o

Maes said:

But the surface of the moon isn't even 'zero-G'... O_o

!!!!

O-OH YEAH! Well explain why the towers hit free-fall speeds without detonation.

Take that.

I could, but then I'd have to kill you.

Technician said:

No the theory was it shouldn't be waving at all in zero G. The MythBusters did a whole episode debunking these claims.

Was it even waving? I thought it was just static but unfolded.

It did some flapping because they had to do a lot of fiddling to get it planted.

When are the publications going to notice Aldrin legally changed his name to Buzz? I cite this as proof.

45 years ago today mom was watching it on TV. Dad was riding his bike for some reason. Ironic because he's the one who became an astrophysicist!

I was always under the impression that the first person to walk the Moon was Hans Armstark

Clonehunter said:

That rod was added to support the flag, which otherwise would hang like a limp rag.

Was it even waving? I thought it was just static but unfolded.

If not hung straight, there's nothing to stop it from swaying side to side like a pendulum before settling.

Aliotroph? said:

45 years ago today mom was watching it on TV.

So was I.

It was the only thing on television. All three channels. We were spending most of the day in school watching the coverage of this in the classroom.

"The Eagle has landed."

I hope that within the next couple of decades we can experience such a universal event of man setting foot on Mars. The mere fact that *everyone* in the US was waiting in synchronization to hear that the astronauts landed safely on the Moon is something special. I hope that can be replicated again on a new planet, somewhere down the line.

My great-grandmother was watching it with my mother and grandmother, complaining all the time that they were dumb for believing it to be truly happening.

Belial said:

My great-grandmother was watching it with my mother and grandmother, complaining all the time that they were dumb for believing it to be truly happening.

Yeah, but weren't they watching that in commie Poland? Of course anything the dirty capitalists did couldn't be anything but lies and deceit, throwing smoke into the eyes and poisoning the minds of the People ;-)

Funny thing is, even if we were to go to Mars now, even given how much greater an achievement it would be, no one would really give a crap. I mean first off, we've done the whole "go to space" thing to death by now, people just don't care. And even if anyone did care, the journey would be so long that people would rapidly lose interest long before they actually arrived at Mars. That's not to say I'm against the idea of going to Mars, just pointing out that people have the attention span of goldfish, so it'd be kind of a shame to have such an accomplishment and the primary reaction would be, "Meh," and a lot of shrugging.

Maes said:

Yeah, but weren't they watching that in commie Poland? Of course anything the dirty capitalists did couldn't be anything but lies and deceit, throwing smoke into the eyes and poisoning the minds of the People ;-)

Less capitalism => lies, more "funny glass box showing pictures" => lies.