Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geo

Daikatana = $1 on SquareEnix humblebundle

Phobus said:

I've been chipping away at this game on and (mostly off) since the last time it was on sale and I've not really had a bad time of it. Much like DNF and Aliens: Colonial Marines, I'd say it's an average game with some decent ideas that was released late to a massive backlash due to overhype and not being perfect. Not a classic, but not the terrible, cancerAIDS-giving experience people make out. I'm actually really enjoying the novelty of managing Superfly whilst I keep my own shit in order AND get us both through the levels. Not sure if it'll be overbearing with the woman in tow as well, mind, but I like it at the moment.

I will admit that I had fun playing DNF and ACM. Duke took me 2 hours to get into since they throw everything but first person shooting at you. I'm not even sure its overhype that killed the game. Since I was under a rock when Daikatana came out, I just know its legendarily bad and usually like DNF and ACM I end up enjoying even bad games.

Everyone has their own experience and opinions of course, so if the game is fun to someone who am I to rain on it. I'll play it again today and see if my mood has changed any.

Well, at $1, it's certainly cheaper than any dildo or dong, if all you wanted is getting rectally sodomized. AND you get to be Romero's bitch, who, like an el-cheapo butt stallion, makes wild, passionate love to your butt for the entire game's duration.

plums said:

Thief is a great game and definitely worth your time and money. I wonder if this version has the unofficial patch that was released a year or two ago?

Humble bundle is cool but it seems like all their deals area Steam-only now :/

I think one game is still always DRM free though. Like, I think on the one right before this one Bioshock had both a Steam version and DRM free version.

doomgargoyle said:

At $1 Daikatana is too expensive. It should at least come with a bonus, like a strand of John Romero's hair.

Nose, pubic or ass?

doomgargoyle said:

Doesnt matter, since I assume any of those would be long enough.

Too.... Hang yourself? Floss your teeth with? Choke your dick with?

Drilbur said:

Was that game really as horrible as everyone said it was?

No.

It's basically a collection of 4 underpolished FPS games from the late 90s, each one with a unique set of enemies and weapons. The first one is very frustrating and looks like Christmas. The rest is actually playable, with the third one being the game's highest point, because snow.

Oh, and the friendly AI likes to get stuck occasionally.

Clonehunter said:

Too.... Hang yourself? Floss your teeth with? Choke your dick with?

Just long enough to put on a bob pin and include as added bonus in the game box. :)

Drilbur said:

Was that game really as horrible as everyone said it was? I never played it.

Yes. I had seen Youtube videos and never thought it was. Until I played it.

When I first bought Daikatana, I only knew of the hyped previews and knew NOTHING on how it turned out, so I was more excited when I got to play it.

First impression was awesome: you play as some samurai-type character. I already watched Samurai Jack and did some obligatory karate lessons, so I was thrilled. Also, since Romero was on board, it meant that it resembled Doom as well: similar Doom-like "use door" mechanics, face on status bar, even a berserk artifact or creative exit messages!

I liked the first level's music: low-volume heavy metal instrumental, fitting with a high-tech but polluted war zone swamp. The green atmosphere looked cool as well.

The first enemies were a mixed bag: the frogs were slightly creepy because they'd spit poison at you. The dragonflies were kinda annoying, but fortunately killable. The crocodiles were quite fun, though. As for turrets, they were OKAY to be deadly: you really had to disable them by shooting their power sources, geez.

The gameplay was indeed hard. I had no idea I could eat the berries (or later on that the "Hosportals" can heal me), so my health was often below 10%, with everything trying to kill me, if not the monsters. In typical 90s-2000 shooter tradition, any mechanical thing -- fan, turbine, even door -- would cause slight or instagib damage.

The RPG experience feature was quite cool, I wish I'd see it more often in the FPS genre.

When I reached the military bases, I really liked those robots; quite challenging dudes. What I didn't get was the humans. Were they Japanese? Why did they scream so much? What did the soldiers say ("why do we keep getting stuck guarding this sector", is that it?).

In the end I got stuck at the Crematorium level. I didn't even notice the organ music was based on D_E1M1... But the real problem was that I totally ran out of health and ammo.

Oh, and the guns were really interesting. Each of them had its drawbacks. My favourite is that burst shotgun, yeah :P

Clonehunter said:

How do you eat the berries, though?

Dunno, actually. I only saw it in action when I watched a video.

doomgargoyle said:

At $1 Daikatana is too expensive. It should at least come with a bonus, like a strand of John Romero's hair.

It comes with five other games as a bonus! Maybe you can trade one with Romero for a hair.

Clonehunter said:

How do you eat the berries, though?

Aim your mouse and click on them. Its not easy to do as you're running away.