Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

First map you ever made.

The very first map I ever made was with my brother in the summer of 1996. It was an unclosed sector with fire and lava textures. I made a bazillion test maps over the next month trying to learn how to make a door in DEU. Turns out when you selected a bunch of linedefs and made a sector it tended to get the sidedefs backwards on at least one line. Had to swap them manually.

I can't show you any maps from that time because in 2000 my laptop ate all my files, and then shortly afterward, my brother reformatted the wrong HDD in the PC and ate all my backups.

I could show some from 1997, but they're less hilariously hideous.

I don't know if I still have it but I remember making my first map for Quake III Arena.

Q3A was the first game I got which I could make maps for, I recall I was so excited when I found out then you could make maps for games.

Csonicgo said:

I think everyone tried that.

I didn't. My house was too complicated. Would need sloped ceilings and 3D floors. After I got DN3D I spent about a week thinking I could do it there until I learned how sucky overlapping sectors are.

Csonicgo said:

I think everyone tried that.

I never did.
My first doom map was for doom0alpha, your luck I replaced it with something else and replaced the whole project with doom0 instead.

Regarding doom, my first ever level was for "Mario Builder" but it got removed somehow, I can't remember how.

Back somewhere in '00 or so, there was some CDs that came with gaming magazine. It had some few demos and other utilities. One of the utilities was GTKRadiant. I think I made some ultra basic CTF and DM maps.

Oh, wait a minute:

40oz said:

jetpack

Oh geez, now I remember that too! Was like over 7 or something, spent countless hours of making levels, along with playing them.

As to show them... Those PCs don't exist anymore. :(

Better Than Wow, made back in 2012. I think the logic behind this was to make a wad better than Wow.wad with no experience whatsoever. This was meant to be vanilla compatible but I didn't realize at the time that you have to convert MIDIs to MUS. It's 1994 as hell, but we all went through a phase of making wads like that. (Doom Jr. anyone?)

First map I've made was a crappy hallway map spelling my name "Philip" back in 2005 using Doomcad1.6.

Mine looked like a 3 year old made it. I was 12 at the time and was just getting into mapping so I just messed around. I'm 17 now.

Maze-o-Mania. A giant waste of time sector clusterfuck made up of a shitty port of the Pacman maze, a broken door, slime falls, broken crushers, one of every powerful monster, one of every decorative object, giant huge-ass death pit with a crusher on top, and also a gigantifuctick room where I discovered exactly how weird GZDoom's sector lighting really was back then.

It was either that or another map that I can't remember the name of with lots of fake shadow casting, build errors, HOM-Effects, and ugly textures. I also put in, again, one of each monster in a side room. But back then they really scared me, so I put them all into one giant room with a tiny window so I could observe their behavior without getting hurt.

Linkrulezall said:

This was meant to be vanilla compatible but I didn't realize at the time that you have to convert MIDIs to MUS.

you don't. 1.5 added MIDI support to the vanilla engine, although you have to make sure the MIDI file you have CAN be successfully converted to MUS, because the engine runs MIDI2MUS internally.

My first map had SKY1 as all the walls, and BROWN99 for the upper/lower. I'm gonna recreate it!

I remember making my first 5 level wad pack. So much joy typing in "doom2.exe -file level1.wad level2.wad level3.wad l2again.wad level5.wad" in my .bat file...