Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Classic FPS Endangered?

If I were to label any style of FPS as "arcade," I would go with something along the lines of Call of Duty. Those games are all about twitch reflexes, funneling you through a very specific experience from setpiece to setpiece with no real chance to deviate from the established path. Hell, the weapons in the game are more like powerups than actual weapons, because the two-weapon limit prevents you from having a large selection at any given moment, so it's all like, "Okay, here's the section where you use the submachine gun, now here's the part where you use a flamethrower, now you use the sniper rifle here," etc., whereas in a game like Doom, you always have a wide selection of options for how to deal with a current threat.

More or less, I would label a game like Call of Duty as being arcade because it honestly feels a lot like you're playing a lightgun game - the emphasis is entirely on your aim and reflexes, with no chance for real strategy or exploration.

I certainly wouldn't consider Doom to be an arcade style game - with the exception of Action Doom, obviously, and look how much the gameplay had to be altered to achieve that.

Why are there no arcade fps games anymore ?
I suspect that a lot of nostalgia-blind fanboys would just call it a doom rip-off... no matter how different, how unique, how special, how individual a new arcade first person shooter would be.

Times change, either you follow or you hug the past.

I know one thing that ain't endangered: threads just like this in ee. You can almost set your watch to a new one being posted once every 10-14 days or so.

We get it, you like doom and certainly not Call of Battlefield 2015: sneaky poltergeist camo dlc and are voicing such opinions on the doomworld.com forums.

Thank you Quast, we are all glad to hear your very progressive and original opinion on the relevance of often discussed topics. God knows everything would break apart if we didn't have someone to be that guy in every single topic like this.

Hey! Quick! I hear someone on Yahoo Answers asking whether you can get pregnant with oral intercourse. Get over there, champ.

FireFish said: I suspect that a lot of nostalgia-blind fanboys would just call it a doom rip-off... no matter how different, how unique, how special, how individual a new arcade first person shooter would be.

Well... That answers that question!

I'm not saying I hate CoD. All I'm saying is that game mechanics like regenerative health, head-shots, two weapon limits etc. are replacing game mechanics like health/ammo hunting, versatile arsenal etc. Why can't we have games that have old and new GOOD game-play mechanics together? Like say, Head-shots, ammo/health hunting, versatile arsenal And Head to head/ tactical/ both combat (depending on whose playing) in a game?

Da Werecat said:

I'm not opposed to headshots, but they shift the focus towards aiming, while "classic" shooters emphasized movement, so I can see how certain people can perceive this feature as "newschool".

Head shots could be done like how TF2 handles it; only sniper weapons and the ambassador are capable performing head shots; classes suited to a particular, major aspect of FPS.

Zulk-RS said:

Why can't we have games that have old and new GOOD game-play mechanics together? Like say, Head-shots, ammo/health hunting, versatile arsenal And Head to head/ tactical/ both combat (depending on whose playing) in a game?

So, almost every Valve/Source game that isn't Portal?

The head-shot thing is so old I remember guys appearing who wanted to mod it into DOOM back when I had a 16 MB video card!

There are still shooters that lack all or most of those newfangled things. There are also games like CoD and Halo. Turns out the sort of people who don't spend years playing the same games like them better. That's fine. I don't see any lack of diversity. Ok, well, maybe there is if you consider the sort of first-person games made between about 1973 and 1992. Nobody wants those back.

If you play Doom with mouselook aiming.. then it can include a lot of aiming. And it doesn't make it feel like some modern shooter.

Platinum Shell said:

Head shots could be done like how TF2 handles it; only sniper weapons and the ambassador are capable performing head shots; classes suited to a particular, major aspect of FPS.

That's something I like about TF2. The way it handles classes, it's almost like you're playing an entirely different game depending on which class you select. You wanna focus on all that precision headshotting? Play sniper. You prefer speed and maneuverability like oldschool FPS games? Go scout. Like splosions? Demoman or Soldier. Wish you were playing a RTS? Go engie. Wanna cast buffs like you're playing an MMO? Medic. Debuffs? Pyro. Tank? Heavy. Love Metal Gear Solid? Spy. It's like you got most of the major genres of gaming all wrapped up in a neat little package. With hats, for those who just can't get enough microtransactions.