Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coopersville

Gaming Journalism 2014: Blogs For Cash

In 2007, we began to see strong evidence of paid reviews.

In 2010, we began to really question whether or not video games could become art. For many, 'yes' seemed like the obvious answer, which unfortunately backfired, enabling an overabundance of titles that tried too hard to be art instead of games.

By 2012, we began to see an era of journalism that was overly critical of video games' tropes and (sometimes nonexistent) messages, and often dismiss all of their merits for whatever 'ism' was the most clickworthy that month-- that is, if the hot clickbait at that time involved video games at all.

Now in 2014, we have this.

Is this going to be what broke the camel's back? What is it going to actually take, and what are we going to do about it when it does?

Coopersville said:

In 2007, we began to see strong evidence of paid reviews.

Yeah, because I'm sure than during centuries of accounts, recordskeeping and journalism, let alone product reviews, nobody ever thought of paying off the writers or embellishing the facts before.

Coopersville said:

As relevant as ever Maes. I'm talking about video games.

Well? They are just another product, so any marketing tricks also apply to them.

I've been fallowing this since the start. It's ironic when a movement is as hypercritical as the Status quo they protest.

Five Guys, Burgers and Fries!

My favorite part is when he says "This video is not about a woman's infidelity," and then proceeds to describe just that in exhaustive detail.

If there truly is no misogyny driving this scandal, as I'm led to believe, then why are we always focusing on the women rather than the men who are debasing their values for them? If this games journalist is trading sex for favorable reviews, it should be HIS name plastered over every 4chan thread and YouTube video. What's-her-name doesn't actually have any power here.

That said, it should've been crystal clear what the agenda was at the beginning of the video when he laments feminist attitudes pervading the gaming industry.

Games are games, men are men, women are women, developers are developers, journalists are fakers for money.
Just kill them all inside another game with equal ambition, like some sort of Postal sequel.

Women sleeping around have powers when they realise it, but those powers never last long and eventually die out.

Technician said:

I've been fallowing this since the start. It's ironic when a movement is as hypercritical as the Status quo they protest.

Five Guys, Burgers and Fries!

Depression Quest?

Just watch Youtube vids with gameplay You'll figure out if you like a game or not. Some people have questioned my steam reviews as being paid off. Which is fucking hilarious. Game devs have even given me games for free to review... which I never do. I'm not a pro game reviewer, just some shmuck that likes to type.

I like fries---oh wait, you stop trying to distract me with your tomfoolery!

I picked up on this after breezing reddit a few hours ago. If the claims are true then this truly is the gaming of media fuckery and debasement on both sides. It's certainly not unheard of, as Maes has kindly pointed out, but what is interesting is the fact that these tactics are now being unveiled as having been used upon the gaming industry, or, at the very least, upon one game. TotalBiscuit's blog that was posted to reddit initially sparked the clusterfuck that happened over there, and is a good read for understanding why this is such a big issue online.

I imagine many will not be surprised, but fuck me if I don't find it absolutely abominable in it's own right assuming the facts are true.

Bucket said:

My favorite part is when he says "This video is not about a woman's infidelity," and then proceeds to describe just that in exhaustive detail.

If there truly is no misogyny driving this scandal, as I'm led to believe, then why are we always focusing on the women rather than the men who are debasing their values for them? If this games journalist is trading sex for favorable reviews, it should be HIS name plastered over every 4chan thread and YouTube video. What's-her-name doesn't actually have any power here.

That said, it should've been crystal clear what the agenda was at the beginning of the video when he laments feminist attitudes pervading the gaming industry.

Bro, it's like... you're just an SJWfag, dig?

Its late I'm zzz.... this is depression quest talk right? I know that Depression Quest came out on Steam to celebrate Robin Williams death, and I remember seeing the game mentioned in Indie Game the movie.

Can someone explain to me what is the news story here? Why does it involve 5 Guys? That's a burger place around here.

Belial said:

Googled some pics, I'd have to be pretty fucking depressed to sleep with her.

Well, duh. Professional game reviewers? Guys are paid to stay at home, cement their social phobias and preach to impressionable kids online. She probably saved them all from a doorknob accident.

I just saw the video.

Basically the girl that created Depression Quest fucked 5 guys while dating another guy that posted about it.

The video goes on to explore how horrible the dev is and a scam artist. Such as taking money for a game jam without ever having a location or date set for the game jam. And how she got mugged and now she can't pay rent so someone swoops in and pays for her rent. Wow people carry rent money around?

Anyway the 5 guys she fucked are in 'the game industry or game journalism industry.'

All of that aside, Depression Quest is a website that was converted to webkit to be an executable file to put on Steam. At least its free.

Belial said:

Doorknob accident...

I think I'm glad I can't come up with a mental image of that.

It's how Robin Williams hung himself, after which Depression Quest attracted a ton of media attention. I was too cryptic, I guess, but now I'm interested in your interpretation...

dew said:

It's how Robin Williams hung himself, after which Depression Quest attracted a ton of media attention. I was too cryptic, I guess, but now I'm interested in your interpretation...

I thought doorknob accidents are what happen to kids that open a door too fast or when daddy beats them.

Maybe its the game journalism a black eye or something.

I'm interested in the interpretation too.

Bucket said:

If this games journalist is trading sex for favorable reviews, it should be HIS name plastered over every 4chan thread and YouTube video.

We do get rants about that, and hell, there is little to no focus on the fact that she cheated, but on who it was with, and that's only part of what she's done anyways. Plus, it's not just about her. The guy in the video even specifically calls out one man who had the most to gain from bedding with her, out of the five in question. She just happens to be the focus because she gained more than all of them together, she manipulated and lied her way to where she is now, and calling her out on it is being shut down as "misogyny", because it's anti-woman to do anything but praise her for it. If she's at the center of the current debacle, why would anyone else be focused on? If she's wound all these people up and attracted all this attention, why wouldn't the focus be on her?

Edit: You know, thinking more about it, the thing that disgusts me the most is all the supposed morally superior people supporting her attacking an entire site of depressed dudes all on bullshit, especially since it came from somebody who made a game about depression. Nothing like viciously attacking depressed people and getting huge numbers of people on-board with it to show what a good person you are.

And even after all this bad press, her Patreon has jumped past two grand a month. Women in the SJ community can turn shit into gold.

Bad press is press.

I wish it was a good game or even a game itself and not just html files you read.

According to that video its not even fucking for good reviews. Its the people she slept with that got the gaming media / journalists to defend her and hype things that turn out to be scams that make her money. I think that video focuses more on why she's an awful person instead of how shitty the game is.

Women get a lot of money and attention (positive and negative) because they're women.

Akira_98 said:

We do get rants about that,

Yes, we do. There are plenty of editorial articles and videos on the subject of bought reviews. I wonder what makes this one different.

She just happens to be the focus because she gained more than all of them together, she manipulated and lied her way to where she is now,

What lies and manipulations occurred are pure speculation, and what she gained specifically through this dishonesty can not be quantified. Just because someone did something that you find unfair doesn't mean that someone else lied and manipulated to make it happen.

If she's at the center of the current debacle, why would anyone else be focused on? If she's wound all these people up and attracted all this attention, why wouldn't the focus be on her?

Begging the question. The very fact that she's at the "center of the debacle" is the problem. I only see one or two MEN violating their scruples, but the focus is on the one fork-tongued succubus who "made" them do it. Give me a fucking break.

Finally, let me ask you something. If I'm to believe that one dude allegedly doctoring a review is the ONLY relevant issue here (and to a lesser extent, people getting posts taken down), then why is the scandal called "Five Guys"?

Thoughts? Either way you paint the picture the bottom line is; if this was a bloke, people would either praise the person in question or just brush it off as nothing.

I guess the world holds women to a higher standard than men. Says a lot more about men that we're just assumed to be scummy fuckers. Anybody know any female game journalists? I got a game I'd like to sell.

Internet loves juicy drama that doesn't involve them when game players should just be playing games.

Anyone discussing the Robin Williams factor?

Anyone discussing how Steam Greenlight voters love the shittiest games and manage to get them greenlit almost instantly vs what people are saying that she fucked game devs to get her game greenlit faster because people believe it to be true?

Bucket said:

Yes, we do. There are plenty of editorial articles and videos on the subject of bought reviews. I wonder what makes this one different.

Because these reviewers for once have been caught with their pants down, dick stinking... literally. There is no hiding this now. The reason this has exploded is because a huge chunk of the internet is absolutely tired of SJW and their meddling in every community. This is the head of the pimple that finally popped. The huge amount of damage control is what keeps this whole debacle in motion.

Quinn has been under the microscope since her past actions of exploitation. The whole wizardchan scam is what put this girl in focus. Her rallying and sending her personal army after http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/Voting and filing a false DMCA against MundaneMatt just added gas to the fire.

What lies and manipulations occurred are pure speculation, and what she gained specifically through this dishonesty can not be quantified. Just because someone did something that you find unfair doesn't mean that someone else lied and manipulated to make it happen.

No. Her ex released chat logs and posts with her own confession, accompanied with videos of him logging on to each social media site and opening the messages. And much more!

Even one of her flings' girlfriend spoke out about her cheating bastard.

Begging the question. The very fact that she's at the "center of the debacle" is the problem. I only see one or two MEN violating their scruples, but the focus is on the one fork-tongued succubus who "made" them do it. Give me a fucking break.

Please. I've seen plans to get that Kotaku idiot fired Dongle-gate style being flung around. There have been multiple threads trying to fuck over all five of the people who's dick got wet. Quit projecting. No one is claiming "'Made' them do it." They're under the fire too and they are defending her.

She's at the center becasue she's has a wrap sheet and is a figurehead of the community. But it's really easy to point to the fact she's a woman.

dew said:

I wasn't aware of the details of his suicide. We were talking about her going around making their lives less miserable so I expected something vaguely kinky.

@Bucket: As someone who doesn't give a shit about the state of the videogame industry I love how you're focusing on that angle and ignoring how insanely two-faced she was towards her 'boyfriend'.