Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheUltimateDoomer666

The Dinosaur Hunter, classic-style FPS?

So...while browsing the Turok Wiki, I came across some information on a classic-style FPS that is apparently being made by a small indie team.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1960229088/the-dinosaur-hunter-classic-fps

Anyway, there doesn't appear to be any gameplay or screenshots of it yet, just renders of models. There's a "video" on the page with the author describing the project, and he talks about his feelings on the "classic style" of FPS games. He says the game will be inspired by classics like DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D, and the Turok games.

In my opinion, they made the Kickstarter a little early...they could have released some actual gameplay videos and screenshots first.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think a small team would actually be able to make a good classic-style FPS like this? I don't know how similar it's going to be to DOOM/Turok in terms of gameplay and level design, if its funding manages to be successful...

At the very least, they've got high quality assets and a cool art direction. But yes, they did the Kickstarter far too early. Just from a marketing perspective (I myself am not judging this one way or the other until something more substantial is revealed), doing this kind of stuff early doesn't inspire confidence in the audience/potential funders.

All I see are untextured art assets, this is not a game. To top that off, Steam had 2 dino hunting games greenlit in about a week. Both are shit.

There's quite a bit more than just a few art assets, and they are of professional quality. That said, I want gameplay before I fund anything, personally.

Kickstarter really only works if you claim to be fighting for some socially just cause. Just send some harassing tweets to one of your lady developers and that should get the ball rolling. Or at the very least make your protagonist a female PoC and pay someone off at Kotaku to crusade for.

hardcore_gamer said:

I would argue that 3D models are much better to show off than just drawings.

Oh yes I agree, models are much more usable than drawings. But I wouldn't give money to a fantastic artist making a game.

I do like the fact that there is some originality and 'twisting' to the models. Like its just not a T-rex its a robolegged T-rex. Its not just a turtle NPC its a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. The other dino hunting games look like stock art bought.

I'd feel so much better about this project if there was in game footage.

The voice over doesn't help inspire a lot of confidence. There is no mention of the game engine, just explaining what is an old school FPS.

They could make a lot of money selling stuff in the Unreal or Unity stores.

I'm not sure people want a secondary playable character so much as they want alt fire or 3 levels per episode.

Exposed brain? Should be wearing the cattle skull as a mask.

geo said:

Exposed brain? Should be wearing the cattle skull as a mask.

I find the prospect of an armored animal such as a turtle having an exposed brain retarded.

Technician said:

I find the prospect of an armored animal such as a turtle having an exposed brain retarded.

He better pull his head in. Imagine that no head shots when they pull their head in. Bullets that can't hurt them when shot in the body so they take rockets to kill. The enemy could always get a running start and dive at you pulling his head arms and legs in. Invulnerability until he gets up again. That would be a process to animate. Ideas.

Coopersville said:

Reminds me that I haven't seen anyone here mention TurokEX here yet.

Kaiser should start a Patreon so he can work on TurokEX full time. Scratch that, no one will fund him. Kaiser, have you thought about making a webcomic?

Coopersville said:

Reminds me that I haven't seen anyone here mention TurokEX here yet.

Well the dev / artist did mention the brain missile. Just like Turok. Never played Turok or even heard of TurokEX.

Is TurokEX the X-Box version of Turok?

geo said:

Well the dev / artist did mention the brain missile. Just like Turok. Never played Turok or even heard of TurokEX.

If you had you'd realize just how much this game rips off borrows elements from it. Turok 1 had cybernetic dinosaurs, giant robots, mercenaries, monsters and aliens.

In fact, Turok 1 was called Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

Just release the PS3 and I/OS Carnivores games to PC.

That said, the assets look pretty good and are of professional quality. For whatever reason, that coffin looks really cool.

Technician said:

If you had you'd realize just how much this game rips off borrows elements from it. Turok 1 had cybernetic dinosaurs, giant robots, mercenaries, monsters and aliens.

In fact, Turok 1 was called Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

Ninja turtles too? Yeah its a pretty blunt rip off of Turok. There are plenty of Dungeon Keeper rip offs cropping up (not the EA mobile). All of which seem to be shit when they're done.

A new school Turok could work, it doesn't even need to be FPS.

Looking through Steam I find:

Dino D-Day
Beasts of Prey
Stomping Land
Orion: Prelude
Primal Carnage

I think that I own 3 of those never played any.