Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

THE [I lost count] Doomworld HALLOWEEN THREAD!

You're doing something? Seriously? (Multi choice)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. You're doing something? Seriously? (Multi choice)

• I'm SCARING KIDS!
    • I'm probably going to a party!
    • I'm playing video games!
    • I'm doing a Spooky movie marathon!
    • I'm going to work! This sucks!
    • We don't celebrate that here, fat American!
    • I don't have anything planned yet!
    • I'm a party pooper, I'm doing nothing!
    • I'll be shitposting on Doomworld, of course!
    • OTHER (please post)

Play one of my latest creations (Hopefully before Halloween), The NIGHTMARE! Palace., my first Halloween wad. I've been planning on making that for 3 years. Needed to learn the right stuff first.

Soon to be released. Hopefully it won't end up like SinEnhan.

To build to Halloween, I've played Costume Quest and Organ Trail. Man that Organ Trail is overrated.

Like TimeofDeath mentioned, there is a massive change in television programming around this time of year. I am waiting for some channel to play Cube (1997) or something along those spooky lines.

We went to the Rob Zombie haunted house last night. It was just like the movies. First was a pitch black house, then El Superbeasto neon glowy 3D house, I was given 3D glasses with 1 arm that didn't stay on very long. Then House of 1,000 Corpses' famous murder ride with Captain Spaulding. We were mixed in with some sort of teen lesbian squad. I went def.

My gf's friend and his wife worked there a night and realized they'd make $25 every 5 nights in a row they worked. They figured, fuck that.

Dungeon of Doom was better, which is the problem that they'll always be the best. Haunted house characters love to call me pretty boy.

Two or three weeks ago I saw Evil Dead the musical.

October is fucking expensive.

I'm thinking of wearing a costume for the first time in near a decade (for some stupid upcoming party). I think an imp would be a simple costume to make, but I'm not sure the best method to go about it.

TheCupboard said:

I am waiting for some channel to play Cube (1997) or something along those spooky lines.

Oh, man, that movie is weird but kind of awesome. For a while, I've wanted to make a stupid edit taking out most of the dialog and just including the "action" scenes with all three movies stuck together in chronological order, maybe title it "Cube Trilogy: Abridged". Perhaps a good target running time would be 120 minutes?

Yeah Cube was pretty fucking gory right off the bat, I remember watching the DVD commentary for it and they said it was like a $600,000 for the whole movie. They only made a corner or a half of the cube to save money.

TheCupboard said:

Like TimeofDeath mentioned, there is a massive change in television programming around this time of year. I am waiting for some channel to play Cube (1997) or something along those spooky lines.

Yeah, I'd like to watch that movie again too. I remember Earthquake made a Cube wad a long time ago where each room had different ways to kill you, but I think it was unfinished.

Tonight I'll be watching Collosus: The Forbin Project (1970) on tv.

Went to my 3rd haunted house of the month. Abyss Haunted House. $15 to get in according to the website. $20 when we got there. I was pretty pissed especially after driving 90 minutes. Why spend $90 on haunted houses in 3 weeks when you can spend $130?

The haunted house was built on a mini golf course. It ended up looking pretty cool. Half inside half out. Blood red water.

So I watched Cabin in the Woods for the first time last night. Fan-fucking-tastic. Still working on what to do for Halloween, likely to go out bar hopping with friends. Once things is for sure: we are going as The Tunnel Snakes.

And we RULE!

Huge movie marathon. Every Friday I stream movies for friends as it is, so all month long it's been horror movies. Halloween is going to be a triple feature, though one of the movies I'm watching by myself as I hand out candy: Night of the Living Dead. After that comes the stream, which will be 1408 and The Phantom Carriage.

An excellent Halloween themed session it was! Personally I think I'll win the prize for creepiest map as well as the one for the least amount of gameplay, but oh well. :P

Kirby said:

So I watched Cabin in the Woods for the first time last night. Fan-fucking-tastic. Still working on what to do for Halloween, likely to go out bar hopping with friends. Once things is for sure: we are going as The Tunnel Snakes.

And we RULE!

I saw it in theaters, I was pretty miffed at the entire plot. So I posted a review on amazon and people got on my case for ruining the plot that gets explained I think within the first minute. Basically the movie spoils it in the first minute. I think the review was thrown off of Amazon for the spoilers. Even if I spoiled nothing but the first minute. After that, I stopped reviewing things on Amazon.

Oh, so now I have two reasons to skip it. Thanks.

(Seriously, Dark City was so much better when they released the Director's Cut.)

dethtoll said:

Oh, so now I have two reasons to skip it. Thanks.

(Seriously, Dark City was so much better when they released the Director's Cut.)

I think its probably the most expensive horror movie there's ever been. Sure its one thing to have practical horror effects, but when there are giant CGI things. I've wanted to see it since the theater to see if I like it any better.

So if you're movie marathoning....

Halloweens (I always hated them)
Friday the 13ths
Nightmare on Elmstreets
Hellraisers

Evil Dead
Lovely Molly (if you want something weird)
Steven King's the Mist
Texas Chainsaw Massacres (am I the only person that likes the new ones)
Screams

So far this month we've done Alien 3 Director's Cut (already did Alien and Aliens earlier in the year), Young Frankenstein, and the Mist was last week.

dethtoll said:

So far this month we've done Alien 3 Director's Cut (already did Alien and Aliens earlier in the year), Young Frankenstein, and the Mist was last week.

I felt Prometheus also brought back the sort of squeamish element to horror. While Alien 3 is probably the worst Aliens, I can understand that its back to a slow boil awkward horror with face to face to an alien and the potential rape scene. Plus I guess that it pushes the story further even if the action and logic take a huge leap backward.

I'm assuming we're pretending Alien Resurrection or either AvP film don't exist. If that's true then I agree that Alien 3 is the worst.

dethtoll said:

I'm assuming we're pretending Alien Resurrection or either AvP film don't exist. If that's true then I agree that Alien 3 is the worst.

I thought Alien Resurrection was a fun sort of action movie that pushed the evolution further. Plus I think it was written by Joss Wheaton, the same guy that did Cabin in the Woods.

Yeah I'm not sure I consider AvP in the Aliens franchise so much as the AvP franchise. I saw it in theaters the first night in an over sold out theater. There were people sitting on the stairs even after an usher said if everyone can stand up and move right to fill in the empty seats, we'd appreciate it.

People saw the giant queen when she made it to the surface and started laughing. People walking out said it was a lot like Jurassic Park in a haunted house.

The second one I think was more unmemorable, but I do remember the trailer took you through the entire movie in 2 minutes. At least at the end it pushed the evolution further... but it was at the end, the last moment instead of the last 30 minutes like other Alien movies.

Also supposedly there's some unfilmed ending of Alien 1 where the Alien beheads Ripley and uses that head to get back to Earth. wtf? I never heard about that ending up until this year and I've got so many Aliens documentaries, DVD commentaries and scripts.

geo said:

I thought Alien Resurrection was a fun sort of action movie that pushed the evolution further. Plus I think it was written by Joss Wheaton, the same guy that did Cabin in the Woods.

I've seen a lot of bad movies over the years. Most of them are just hilariously incompetently done and can be enjoyed for being so bad, but I expect better out of the Alien films. Alien 3 is widely regarded as being terrible but in spite of some flaws I view it as very nearly as good as the first two. Alien Resurrection, not so much. It's pretty much a prototype version of Firefly mashed with bad fanfiction.

Alien Resurrection is an absolute abortion of a film and a leading example of why Joss Whedon is one of the worst writers in Hollywood. He needs to stop writing everything like it's one of his comic books. It is not good writing. It is not funny. It is not witty. He is a hack who should never have been allowed near the Alien franchise, and the sad thing is it's the best thing he's ever done.

His script for Alien Resurrection excruciatingly bad -- even William Gibson's script for Alien 3, as straight-up weird as it was, was better than this. It does have a few good scenes, but most of it adds nothing to the film. The central issue with the script is that the plot escalates way, way too quickly. The first three movies have always been about the slow buildup of tension and suspense. Even Aliens, far more actiony than its prequel or sequel, built tension to an almost unbearable point. Alien Resurrection is basically the movie equivalent of premature ejaculation, and you're left wondering "what the fuck just happened?"

But its biggest problem is the dialogue. It's horrible. There are too many characters and they all end up sounding the same, which is basically true of nearly anything Whedon creates because of his fetish for ensemble casts. Whedon once said he likes to cast actors who can do comedy because he believes comedy to be harder than drama, and so if they can do comedy... Anyway he's wrong and he should feel bad, because the comedy ain't funny and with the exception of Christie (who is the only black character in the movie and therefore is gonna die) the only characters even worth remembering are the ones who make it all the way to the end.

But the biggest crime is the Newborn.

Oh my GOD the Newborn. The concept itself is kind of apocalyptically stupid, and the thing LOOKS stupid, and it ACTS stupid, and it's STUPID AS HELL and is -- again -- straight out of bad fanfiction (I've read most of the Aliens novels and none of them were this bad) but it could've gone over a tad better if it didn't feel so tacked on, not appearing or even being hinted at until the last third of the movie. Sometimes a sudden appearance can work (such as the Queen in Aliens, though even that is hinted at in a line by Hudson in the Director's Cut), but in this case it didn't, it failed horribly. The scene where they introduce it is singularly awful -- possibly the worst scene in the whole movie. If the scientist hadn't begun ranting this ridiculous "THIS IS RIPLEY'S GIFT TO HER" horseshit and just kept on mumbling scientifically that scene wouldn't be so bad. But no, he actually fucking says, "you are a beautiful beautiful butterfly." I puked in my mouth a little. And that bit at the end with it getting sucked out into space? aaaghghghghghghghg it might be the most overwrought scene in the whole series.

The directing is... you know, I have a friend who's been trying to get me to see Jean-Pierre Jeunet's other films, like Delicatessen. It's not going to happen, because it's clear that you should never let a Frenchman direct a horror film. Jeunet's directing is terrible and only compounds the problems caused by the shitty script. The tone he brings to the film is all over the place: wait here it's serious, wait now it's a surreal comedy, now it's serious again, no wait it's a bad 80s action flick, wait now it's a comedy again. One thing in particular he did that irritated me to the point where I gritted my teeth every time he did it (and he did it SO OFTEN) was when he zoomed in on people's faces at odd angles during what were supposed to be emotional moments. All it really did was show how overacted the scenes were and resemble a college student film thesis.

I'll be honest, I did like the setting somewhat. It was kind of a cross between the interior of the Nostromo from Alien with the grittiness of the colony buildings in Aliens. But I wasn't happy with the alien hive at all. The hive in Aliens was smooth and almost skeletal. In Alien Resurrection it reminded me of those horrible tentacle rape .gifs you used to see on the internet back in the day.

There's a few parts I did like: Gary Dourdan, Ron Perlman, watching Ripley rip out an alien jaw, the bit from the director's cut where they show her the pictures of a little girl and she cries (why this was taken out of the theatrical version is beyond me, because it adds depth to the character that's absent otherwise.) I also liked the underwater scene and the director's cut ending. But overall? This movie could've been so much better if it had a different script, a different director, a different plot, a different and smaller cast, and was basically not this movie.

And no fucking Newborn.

However, if Joss Whedon were to catch fire right now for his horrible horrible script, I think that would make the movie so much better because I could enjoy it in the knowledge that if nothing else, Joss Whedon died in a fire for this terrible movie.

Say what you will about the Alien vs Predator movies, but as dumb as they are (2nd movie especially, holy shit) they're not half as bad as Alien Resurrection.

yeah I mentioned Joss Wheaton to give you a contrast as to what kind of movie Cabin in the Woods is.

I'll go back to my defense that Fox doesn't give a fuck. The Wolverine movie writer said in an interview that Fox doesn't want good movies. The executives say the franchise name will sell the movie and when its bad fans want to see the next one more. I can imagine its the same for Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

If I remember either a DVD commentary or documentary explaining why Fox chose the script for Alien Resurrection, it was specifically the different versions of Ripley they liked and the baby alien was tacked on. Maybe it was the other way around, its been a while since I've gorged on Alien stuff.

Its also been said the biggest problem about Alien Resurrection was its director and he's the one that ruined the movie, because he hired all the actors he usually works with.

Personally I thought it was odd and stupid to have someone bluntly explaining the baby when it was born.

There was some other movie I saw recently that had Joss Wheaton behind it. Woops looks like its Joss Weadon. Oh yeah he did or wrote Avengers.

Last night I saw the Quiet Ones.

Last night I went to the 4th haunted house of the month, bringing the grand total to $160. 70+ minute drive, but at least it was very atmospheric, even if the character makeup was pretty meh or cheap.

So right before we went, we found out someone was arrested for molesting girls at the haunted house 8 days earlier. My gf told me before we went, but I thought she was meaning some random house in the USA and not one so close let alone one we'd be going to that night.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/creepy-haunted-house-alleged-groper-arrested/

Not to be outdone, a haunted house here in IL that we didn't go to had a dead man there for 2 weeks. He was mistaken for a prop until his arm came off. It sounds like an urban legend, but here it is in the news.

http://empirenews.net/man-dies-in-haunted-house-mistaken-for-prop-for-almost-2-weeks/

Halloween is not that big here, next to stores shoved full of masks and witches and the occasional
event here and there it does not seem to compare or come close to what seems to be going on in
the U.S. during halloween... but people, stores, and anybody interested try to keep it going.

Watched Nosferatu last night: the thing had a musical score to go along with it, which was pretty entertaining. The movie itself was alright, it felt more like a novelty than a movie in this day and age.

StevieCybernetik said:

I'm just going as Freddy Krueger:

Whoa! I never knew that Freddy Krueger was actually disguised as Dead Pool this whole time!

Linkrulezall said:

Me as Caleb from Blood

Dangit! You just made me realise that all I need is some brown trousers and I could do this too.

Bugger. Now I have to wait a whole fucking year.