Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malinku

3D Realms Anthology released

Other than Duke, Wolf and Shadow Warrior, what are the games to get?

doomgargoyle said:

None. Get them individually. Don't give money to that Interceptor CEO guy with the funny hair.

Good point. Selling every game short to make the new game. Consumers win of course.

I'd probably get the collection if it was on Steam and I didn't have what I feel are the best 10 of those 35. Again, someone can tell me there are good games other than Duke, Wolf and Shadow Warrior. That will entice me more.

It's... Er... I don't get it. I already own most of the games in the pack that I'd even care to, and I'd imagine anyone who was into those classics would. There might be one or two games there worth picking up, but then why not just get it individually? I guess I'm just not sure who the target market is - anyone who loves these games probably already owns them, and they're not really going to be all that appealing to anyone who wasn't already into those games back in the day.

geekmarine said:

It's... Er... I don't get it. I already own most of the games in the pack that I'd even care to, and I'd imagine anyone who was into those classics would. There might be one or two games there worth picking up, but then why not just get it individually? I guess I'm just not sure who the target market is - anyone who loves these games probably already owns them, and they're not really going to be all that appealing to anyone who wasn't already into those games back in the day.

The 3DR whackos will buy it because it has 3DR's logo on it. If you really want this, I'd say wait until they are ported natively. As of now they run on dosbox.

If this were a tangible boxed set, I'd buy it. But I already have all the game files archived. Do these versions have modified resource files? Or are they period correct versions?

I find it odd that they show a picture of a box with a CD and case, despite the supposed Download Only thing. Aren't some of these things freeware anyways, like Bio Menace?

Oh yeah, Bio Menace, Major Stryker, and I think a couple other games on the list had previously been released as freeware. I hope they haven't un-freewarized those games (or whatever you want to call it), not that it really matters for practical purposes.

The freeware games are still freeware; you can download them when you create a 3D Realms account. However, those games are still included in the Anthology anyway.

The DOS games all run in DOSBox. The Anthology pack currently has a few issues...some of the games are old versions. Some hint sheet files are missing. Some have random save files and high scores; the games have been released without them cleaning up the stuff left by previous players.

Also, Monster Bash is broken. The first Part is the old Shareware version with the nag screens, and Parts 2 and 3 cannot be played past the first level due to a missing FILE_ID.DIZ file.

These issues will hopefully be fixed later, though they really should have tested the stuff before release.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Monster Bash is broken. The first Part is the old Shareware version with the nag screens, and Parts 2 and 3 cannot be played past the first level due to a missing FILE_ID.DIZ file.

That's an odd failure mechanism, FILE_ID.DIZ is usually nothing more than a plain text file.

GreyGhost said:

That's an odd failure mechanism, FILE_ID.DIZ is usually nothing more than a plain text file.

Some other games such as Bio Menace and Duke Nukem 2 also require a certain FILE_ID.DIZ to work. As far as I know, Monster Bash is the only game in the Anthology that doesn't work properly.

Part of the freeware license for Bio Menace says:

There is a file in the game directory named file_id.diz. This is a leftover file from the days of dialup BBS's. The file areas for said BBS's could extract a description for the uploaded game out of that file if it was inside the zip file. However, the version here says "THIS IS PIRATED SOFTWARE!". If you altered or deleted this file, the game would not run - it was an anti-piracy attempt at the time. Since we're unable to recompile the game to remove the check for that, this file must remain with the archive, or the game will not work.

So they need to add the correct FILE_ID.DIZ to Monster Bash. There is actually a FILE_ID.DIZ file already included with that release of Monster Bash, but it's only a description of the Shareware version and thus doesn't work with Parts 2 and 3.

doomgargoyle said:

None. Get them individually. Don't give money to that Interceptor CEO guy with the funny hair.

Why, Fred is an amazing guy :)

Just stupid, really. Don't get me wrong I like these games but it's only the retro gamers and old PC veterans who would play them. 3D Realms, how about a new game?

Buckaroo said:

3D Realms, how about a new game?

They're not even a development studio anymore. I assume the company is just a few people contracted to work from their homes.

The freeware games are still freeware; you can download them when you create a 3D Realms account. However, those games are still included in the Anthology anyway.

The DOS games all run in DOSBox. The Anthology pack currently has a few issues...some of the games are old versions. Some hint sheet files are missing. Some have random save files and high scores; the games have been released without them cleaning up the stuff left by previous players.

Also, Monster Bash is broken. The first Part is the old Shareware version with the nag screens, and Parts 2 and 3 cannot be played past the first level due to a missing FILE_ID.DIZ file.

These issues will hopefully be fixed later, though they really should have tested the stuff before release.

Jesus this is lazy, even for 3DRealms standards.

jazzmaster9 said:

Why, Fred is an amazing guy :)

He's a spoiled rich kid, and a fag. Using the old 3dr/apogee games to make a name for himself. Don't give this moron 1 dollar with this "anthology".

doomgargoyle said:

He's a spoiled rich kid, and a fag. Using the old 3dr/apogee games to make a name for himself. Don't give this moron 1 dollar with this "anthology".

Untrue, I've spoken with him in a couple of occasion (and mostly with their PR guy Dave Oshry) through facebook and skype they were the nicest bunch of game devs i've known :) They gave me a lot of insides stories about the development of Rise of the Triad. They remake and re-release 3d Realms stuff because they love the classics and don't want them to waste way, but Haters gotta hate I guess.

Since way back when I bought the id anthology on Steam circa 2007 I've taken issue with Steam selling games that run on Dosbox. I get that doing it that way is the easiest, most cost efficient way to still sell the games and have them be playable; however one of the primary arguments for Steam itself was having all your games be updated automatically by the program so you could better spend your time modding or even playing the damn game, but none of the Dosbox games on Steam ever get updates when Dosbox gets an update.

how dare they expect me to do housecleaning on ancient games /firstworldproblems

Technician said:

Where are those Duke 3D prototypes we were teased with?

In the CD.

jazzmaster9 said:

Untrue, I've spoken with him in a couple of occasion (and mostly with their PR guy Dave Oshry) through facebook and skype they were the nicest bunch of game devs i've known :) They gave me a lot of insides stories about the development of Rise of the Triad. They remake and re-release 3d Realms stuff because they love the classics and don't want them to waste way, but Haters gotta hate I guess.

no, they did that crappy rott remake because fred first went ahead with his duke reloaded remake without permission from gearbox, and got slapped for it. He's using the old apogee titles to build some developer cred, and he is an arrogant prick. Ive spoken with him. He had the nerve to block me on twitter just because I said that I play rott without paying for it. The nerve on that guy.

doomgargoyle said:

He had the nerve to block me on twitter just because I said that I play rott without paying for it. The nerve on that guy.

Nigga you trollin' us?

Oh cool... I feel like I sold my soul to Satan creating a 3D Realms account, but I did grow up on some of those games. Still seems strange to me to sell a collection that includes games which are already free, but at least they didn't go back and decide to make them not free.

doomgargoyle said:

He had the nerve to block me on twitter just because I said that I play rott without paying for it. The nerve on that guy.

You should have told him about your Constitutional right to play a video game to completion before having to decide if it's worth paying for.