Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Should Ebola aid workers be put under forced quarantine?

Should Ebola aid workers be put under forced quarantine?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ebola aid workers be put under forced quarantine?

• Yes, for the safety of all
    • No, it deters aid workers from returning to Africa
    • Not sure

Eh, I dunno? I mean, you're not even a risk if you're not spraying blood and feces everywhere anyway. I get the approach of wanting to take as many precautions as necessary, but yeah, unless the person is a geyser of bodily fluids, I don't really consider them a risk, so I'm not gonna lose my head and run down the street screaming if they're not quarantined.

Hellbent said:

Should Kaci Hickox be forced into quarantine?

Absolutely not.

Not only is it not legal to do so, this person has had blood work done which came back negative, and is unsurprisingly not showing symptoms of a disease she does not have.

If she doesn't have it, she doesn't have it. Perhaps there are no symptoms until later.

Apparently she's killing business in her town, no one is leaving their homes except reporters.

There was a NBC medical expert that was supposed to be quarantine and she's out and about. She even went against what she said.

I wonder if it can be transmit from sweat.

I haven't been following this. As far as I'm concerned, quarantine of workers or travelers should be required so long as it's necessarily to confirm that they're not infected and not about to spread the disease. If she's already gone through that process, then no, she's fine. In general, quarantine and travel restrictions seems like a common-sense thing for preventing a breakout of a serious disease.

geo said:

If she doesn't have it, she doesn't have it. Perhaps there are no symptoms until later.

It can take anywhere between 2 to 21 days before people will show signs of infection. On the other hand only half of the people infected in countries that have modern medical care will die from Ebola. So it's really a double edged sword.

My gripe with Kaci Hickox is the fact that she knew that her risk of infection would be really high if she choose to work as an aid worker. She also knew that quarantine is standard operating procedure when dealing with any highly infectious disease or virus. She knew what she was getting into from the get go. She should have been fully prepared to accept everything that came with it. Not doing so is selfish and yes, it could potentially create and even bigger problem. Because as everyone should already know, no medical test is 100% accurate every time. Be it a pregnancy test or a test of Ebola.

It's like signing a lease for a car you know you can't afford and being pissed at the bank when the car is repossessed. You know what you where getting into and you should have been ready to accept everything that comes with it. If you where unsure about it , you should have never signed the lease in the first place.

The article said:
The Republican governor has been in a tough, three-way re-election battle that culminates in Tuesday's elections.

Am I the only one seeing this forced quarantine as a cheap stunt to sway voters?

Satyr000 said:

Because as everyone should already know, no medical test is 100% accurate every time. Be it a pregnancy test or a test of Ebola.

Well, the good news is your IQ test coming back positive is probably at least 99% accurate. She wasn't just checked for a fever at the airport, she had a blood test. Do you think she's smuggling Ebola across the border in her butt or something?

Akira_98 said:

In general, quarantine and travel restrictions seems like a common-sense thing for preventing a breakout of a serious disease.

To the correct extent, I'd add. Some of the African countries restricting travels made sense, we're talking leaky borders and day-to-day commute, trade and whathaveyou. Random plane flights across half the world? Come on, strict medical checks sound more appropriate and less like grinding the entire world to a halt. Ebola seems far less global than SARS was and that affair was escalated out of proportions by media hysterics too.

Last edit, I swear:
Not sure if you guys had any news about it, but we had Ebola blackmailers here in CZ. The government said it's not even realistically possible without a "suicidal attack" by an infected person, handwaved the medical threat off focusing on the criminal intent instead (the transaction was supposed to happen in buttcoins) and guess what. Nothing.

Here's another thing. Instead of a quarantine, make it a one way only. If you go to this or that country, you can't come back ever.

My gf's hospital won't allow people in who have been to 3 specific countries. Its hilarious. Private hospitals can do what they want.

geo said:

Here's another thing. Instead of a quarantine, make it a one way only. If you go to this or that country, you can't come back ever.

That's a great idea, if you don't want the outbreak brought under control.

And again, I'd like to point out, if she doesn't have symptoms, even worst case scenario and she really does have ebola, she's not contagious. And even if she is showing symptoms, you're not gonna catch ebola because she coughed in the same room as you. I understand the need for rules about these things, but at the same time, I don't understand the flippin' panic over this.

Take the case in Dallas. Okay, the hospital was monumentally stupid for sending a potential ebola case home, but despite that monumental stupidity, hardly anyone else got infected - the only people he was in contact with who caught it were two nurses, and then only because they had to deal with cleaning up his shit and vomit without proper protective gear or training. I mean, what does that say, that the only people to get sick from this horrible oversight only got sick because they were knee deep in bodily fluids without proper safety gear? I mean, that just goes to show how much you really have to make an effort to catch ebola from someone.

GreyGhost said:

That's a great idea, if you don't want the outbreak brought under control.

People keep saying the best way to cure the outbreak is to fight it over there, not here. So they should stay.

Why not just kill the infected? Then burn the bodies after beheading them.

Why aren't there TV shows where ebola patients are the new zombies. They just want help, but well they're infected and living among us. Then twist it where there's no government so its cool to just kill people to prevent the spread.

You should be the first to be killed, just in case. Too retarded to be healthy and whatever you have, it could be potentially contangious.

dew said:

Well, the good news is your IQ test coming back positive is probably at least 99% accurate. She wasn't just checked for a fever at the airport, she had a blood test. Do you think she's smuggling Ebola across the border in her butt or something?

Before you start resorting to childish insults in the future, I highly suggest that you do some research. Because if you do, you would know the go to test for Ebola infection is a polymerase chain reaction test and even it can show negative for three days after a person began to show symptoms. You would also know that the virus molecules are very small and low in number for a awhile after someone is infected. So you can't test for ebola right off the bat. With a high powered electron microscope Ebola in it's early stages is very hard to detect. This is why even the go to test for Ebola is done after someone has shown Ebola like symptoms.

But, it goes right back to what I said before. She knew what she was getting into before she went to Africa as a aid worker. She should have been ready to accept a quarantine when she got back to the US if the state health commissioner deemed necessary.

geo said:

People keep saying the best way to cure the outbreak is to fight it over there, not here. So they should stay.

AFAIK, most of the aid workers are volunteers who are taking time off from their jobs to fight Ebola. The main problem I foresee with punishing acts of altruism with exile is that the pool of volunteers will rapidly dry up, which will make the outbreak harder to contain. It's a bit like committing troops to a combat zone, you need to rotate them at intervals before battle fatigue sets in and little mistakes start costing people their lives.

Why not just kill the infected? Then burn the bodies after beheading them.

Why do things by half measures? Nuke ALL of West Africa until it glows. :P

The locals are already wary of the treatment centres with their strangely dressed staff, no need to give them more reasons to avoid treatment.

Fact: more Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian than are infected with Ebola.

40oz said:

Fact: more Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian than are infected with Ebola.

A far more sinister disease, I might add.

40oz said:

Its less Americans have DIED than have been infected with Ebola. Either way, SNL pointed it out best, its a black problem that no one cares about until a white person gets involved.

Anyway as for anyone angry with me, successful troll is successful.