Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Well, the new call of duty is pretty laughable.

Maybe I'm being self-centered, but I'm fine with the current state of affairs. Everyone in the gaming circles I hang out seems to look at Call of Duty as an inevitable force of nature, something cool for other people and not really worth caring about one way or the other, like sports games.

Well, it looks like the pc version of the game will have more graphic options than the previous game. But, the menu's are right out of the consoles and some are saying that a few of the graphic options are nothing but fluff with no real impact.

Phml said:

Maybe I'm being self-centered, but I'm fine with the current state of affairs. Everyone in the gaming circles I hang out seems to look at Call of Duty as an inevitable force of nature, something cool for other people and not really worth caring about one way or the other, like sports games.

I think the average Call of Duty player is also a fan of sports games like Madden. Thus, they are used to the business model of new iteration of the game being sold on a yearly basis with marginal improvement.

I can have a good time playing Madden myself, but I wouldn't really care to buy a new version of it every year. I'm not that big of a football fan anyway.

SirKicksalot said:

Ghosts is the only one with that attitude.

The WW2 CODs, including WaW, are not.
In the Modern Warfare series, the British characters are the heroes and save the day. MW, after the initial bravado, nukes its American character and his army. MW2's villain is American and it has the Defend Burger Town mission. You play most of MW3 as a Russian, and when you're playing as an American you're part of an international team.
The Black Ops series is a James Bond on steroids affair which draws heavily from various Cold War myths and its main character kills JFK. It's actually a fun and interesting story, starting with the WaW campaign.

As for Advanced Warfare: well, I only played two hours because I don't enjoy it at all. I'm one of those people who plays COD for the campaign and Ghosts and AW are both shit (Ghosts bing slightly worse). So far it's the story of a shady Blackwater: But In The Future company.

I like games which allow you to pause a cutscene or require an input to continue. In this case, they could have replaced "pay respects" with "continue", but it made me laugh, so I guess that's OK.

The WW2 CoDs were all John Wayne ww2-era crap lingo, including WaW. I thought Reznov was too preachy and irritating with his diatribe on the Nazis. Yes, in MW1 the brits do most of the work, but the game makes you feel "OMG, they killed those brave US men and women in uniform!", which is murica fuck yeah all the way. Still, MW1's campaign was sober enough, and kept it to a minimum. MW2 went all summer blockbuster with its campaign, and although the main villain is an American, the whole game has this "OMG, they brought the war to 'Murica!" vibe to it. MW3 was just a continuation of it, and it was mostly a revenge story.

I agree black ops is too james bond like, specially the second one, complete with a james bond villain. CoD has forgotten what it was: a war-time game where youre just another soldier fighting in the war. CoD:UO is still the best SP and MP CoD.

This game will sell a billion copies. Developers all over the world will hop on that gravy train and the bar will forever be lowered. Gamers will continue to complain that feminists are ruining video games.

Also I like how just doomgargoyle and Bucket had to press their boring annoying agenda. Two peas in a pod.

Linguica said:

Remember when MW1 had the anti-war quotes when you died? Did any other modern CoD game have those?

MW2 had anti-war quotes, as for others i don't know because i haven't played them yet.

Linguica said:

Remember when MW1 had the anti-war quotes when you died? Did any other modern CoD game have those?

Operation Flashpoint had those.

dew said:

I liked how CoD went back to basics with a bit of Frogger. That road was very dangerous, obviously Murca took lessons from the Empire's safety measures by 2030.

The least they could have done is give the combat exoskeleton sufficient AI to override the player if a safer way to cross streets presents itself.

SYS said:

It looks like by MW3, the quotes had gotten, uh, somewhat less pacifistic.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"You are remembered for the rules you break. Not the rules you follow." - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it." - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot

"We'll guarantee you a medal, a body bag, or both." - Delta

"God fights on the side with the best artillery." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live." - Martin Luther King, Jr. [holy shit, they twisted a MLK quote to make him sound pro-war, that takes some serious balls]

Consider it Activision/Sledgehammer's nudge toward the US to stir up more havoc around the world. Right now, their creative team must have all kinds of scenarios where the player fights ISIS bad guys and a compelling enough hook to return to the Levant.

AW should've just featured quotes from Francis Underwood. (Kevin Spacey's character in House of Cards)

Personally, I think this scene is so you can see that you only have one arm, and the QTE is so you'll actually pay attention to it.

To me, there is only one AW, and that is Apocalypse Weekend.

I wonder how many installments will be made until the CoD series ends. Are there going to be new CoDs in the 2020s?

Sodaholic said:

To me, there is only one AW, and that is Apocalypse Weekend.

I wonder how many installments will be made until the CoD series ends. Are there going to be new CoDs in the 2020s?

Until people stop buying them. There was a time where there was a new guitar hero game/expansion pack every 3 months, and then it stopped.

doomgargoyle said:

Until people stop buying them. There was a time where there was a new guitar hero game/expansion pack every 3 months, and then it stopped.

The difference is that guitar hero was just a gimmick while CoD has a solid and a timeless gameplay formula. I don't think CoD will die for the same reason EA's sport games don't.

Linguica said:

It looks like by MW3, the quotes had gotten, uh, somewhat less pacifistic.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"You are remembered for the rules you break. Not the rules you follow." - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it." - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot

"We'll guarantee you a medal, a body bag, or both." - Delta

"God fights on the side with the best artillery." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live." - Martin Luther King, Jr. [holy shit, they twisted a MLK quote to make him sound pro-war, that takes some serious balls]

They were pro-war way before that. I lost respect for them when they started quoting condi rice.

SYS said:

AW should've just featured quotes from Francis Underwood. (Kevin Spacey's character in House of Cards)

I would like to see funny quotes. Like "I made sure to put the fun out of making games." Bobby Kotick.

"Need more DLC." B.Kotick

You know what's more entertaining than Call of Duty? The entire internet erupting into a debate on who's smarter for hating Call of Duty.

If you all pretend it's not there, well it may not go away but at least I don't have to hear the same old useless sounds all over again.

dethtoll said:

I'm so above all of you knaves.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll mind our places in your presence.

Wasn't there an earlier reply saying the QTE is a way to put attention to the player's lost arm by making him take an active role? I thought that was a clever interpretation, that is, I mean I wanted to pretend to be smart by saying that, but now I can't find that reply so it seems I'm just crazy. Still, maybe we could have a pretentious discussion about this design idea, it seems kind of interesting but obviously the button prompt backfired.

The more CoD games there is the longer the FPS generation will be severely bastardized for the majority of FPS games.

Well for all the flak this series gets, I still love the CoD series, not the best games ever but they are all still good games.

This is what CoD is realy about, actual gameplay starts around 13 minutes.

It looks fantastic and the multiplayer gameplay must be great too, like with all the CoD's. Even though i have noticed
some bogus statements made by total bicuit in other videos, he still remains an adult reviewer and previewer with
a lot more actual quality compared to nyan-cat teens screaming on imagined xtc trips...

But yeah ;
i am still cringing at the video of the american coffin flags and pay respect scene...