Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Remakes Wanted

A lot of old games have been remade. Some were good while others were bad. Which games do you think could use a remake with today's tech?
It doesn't matter if the original was good or bad as long as you think a remade version will make a great game. Here are some games I think that could use a remake;

Doom and Doom 2: As long as they only make the game complete 3D and not change anything else, this can be really good remake.

Deathtrap Dungeon (PC version): Cool concept, horribly executed. An awesome game can be made by increasing the length of the game, adding new stuff, fixing glitches and adding a customizable character, fixing the weird AI and choppy combat system, making a changeable camera angle like the one in Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness and make it overall pleasing to look at. The difficulty can be toned down to make a good action game or can be kept the same to make a survival horror game.

Doom 3: Take tips from ZDCMP2 and expand upon it.

Raptor: Call of the Shadows: Actually make an ending for this game. Increase the number of levels and make the bosses and your weapons less overpowered. Add the option to buy different fighter models (Like the SNES UN Squadron) with varying strengths and weaknesses.

What games do you think deserve a remake?

Zulk-RS said:

Doom and Doom 2: As long as they only make the game complete 3D and not change anything else, this can be really good remake.

Gonna nip this one right in the bud: No it bloody well would not.

If you were to make it 3D and chnage nothing else... why not just play GZdoom or whatever? It would be a pointless cashin with nothing new brought to the table and it would be awful. It's thinking like this that gets us some awful remakes and reboots.

It works in some situations (Carmageddon is one off the top of my head), but I think FPS games are never one of those situations.

Also, you then go on to mention Doom 3 could have a remake... when Doom 3 WAS a reimagining of Doom. They wanted to call it "Doom", but couldn't.

I can think of one time a "remake" of an FPS in a newer engine worked well, and that was Black Mesa, which was done really well, but took far too long and a couple of total rewrites to get done so would never have worked commercially. Look at Duke Forever if you wanna see how that would work out.

I will except Multiplayer FPSes since if you can recreate the core gameplay feel then extra fancy graphics tends to not really matter at all.

Personally I'd rather see new IPs, new ideas rather than rehashes of stuff which does nothing but ruin the good memories you had of that game.

I'd rather have game franchises not have remakes but instead have new content and new stories. I wouldn't mind a Blade of Darkness II or another Jedi Academy game.

Remakes tend to suck. Bad games deserve remakes, maybe. Good games deserve to be remembered as they are. They don't deserve remakes. They deserve good sequels at best. But whole new games are the very best option.

I'm pretty sick of the whole remake/reboot/whatever craze, personally. If it's a GOOD game, don't remake it. If it was a BAD game, that had untapped potential behind it, then maybe a remake would be a good idea, but no one's likely to bother doing one.

Is there anything like that LSD simulator but made with more modern technologies? I bet some sick crazy stuff is possible with new graphic cards and everything. And with Oculus Rift of course.

Totally agreed about Jedi Academy btw. At least I still have the fan-made addons to try, apparently some of them are quite decent.

Doom Dude said:

I'd rather have game franchises not have remakes but instead have new content and new stories.

Everyone likes new stuff more than remakes.

Exactly. Feel free to remake concepts to improve or build upon them, but don't brag with known trademarks.

Anyone remember the old DOS game Pyro 2? You'd run around buildings with a fuse trailing behind you, trying to burn as much of the buildings as you could. I'd love to see that game get a fresh coat of paint.

I'd like to see a Prince of Persia remake with hyper-detailed pixel art and awesome animations and slightly reworked/deeper swordfighting.

I would love to see this game remade with photo-realistic graphics, and presented in a more open world fashion. Basically what Spore was originally promised to be like, but with better graphics and realistic aesthetics. An open-world RPG about creatures evolving and struggling to survive throughout the eons. I was hugely disappointed with Spore; a lot of people that loved E.V.O. were thinking Spore was going to be its spiritual successor.

The Chaos Engine.

Cadaver.

I think the games most eligible for remakes are those which were clearly butting up against the technological and control constraints of their time.

Today's generation of gamers are obsessed with remakes. Every classic game video I see on YouTube is filled with comments crying for HD remakes. Do kids not realize modern teams rarely replicate the tight controls, physics and mechanics that made the original games good in the first place? There's a lot -a lot- more to games than their aesthetics.

Some people can't even appreciate older graphics so they complain about them hurting their eyes and want a remake entirely because of that, they usually say the very well crafted pixel art in good older games such as Doom hasn't aged well and the like.

The 3D Zelda ports fared perfectly well, albeit they were using their respective engines and were merely ported to 3DS hardware with new graphical features like better lighting and higher poly counts.

And then there's the new Ratchet & Clank remake, it's literally a reimagining of Ratchet 1 based off of the movie adaptation.

So Ratchet the Game the Movie the Game.

Technician said:

Do kids not realize modern teams rarely replicate the tight controls, physics and mechanics that made the original games good in the first place?

The problem with modern FPS titles in a nutshell.

Avoozl said:

Some people can't even appreciate older graphics so they complain about them hurting their eyes and want a remake entirely because of that, they usually say the very well crafted pixel art in good older games such as Doom hasn't aged well and the like.

Compare the two:

But you're comparing a sprite with a background, why not compare a background with a background or a wall texture with a wall texture.

Not the best examples, admittedly, but the fact that the first picture is a sprite doesn't excuse it from being so ugly.

By the way, guess which one of these pictures has 14 colors (the other one has 78). With pixel art people achieve more with less, that's why it doesn't age.

Anyway, just being contrary as always.

While I can appreciate that, on the whole, the obsessions with remaking older games is probably bad for video games as a whole, I have to admit the Resident Evil remake was one of the best games I've played in years. I mean jeez, you know how long it's been since I've binged through *any* game in the last ten years?

Da Werecat said:

Compare the two:

Try Comparing them at similar resolutions.

It's all about resolution and pixel density. Doom was 320x200, which is hilariously low by todays standards.

Captain Red said:

While I can appreciate that, on the whole, the obsessions with remaking older games is probably bad for video games as a whole, I have to admit the Resident Evil remake was one of the best games I've played in years. I mean jeez, you know how long it's been since I've binged through *any* game in the last ten years?

While we wait for some Contrary Mary to try and argue that the PS1 version was better, the Resident Evil remake certainly makes a good case for remakes. Nothing that we loved about the PS1 game was changed per se, but it added a bunch of stuff to make it better. Whether it needed a re-remake is admittedly debatable, but it's nice to have this game on my PC.

AirRaid said:

It's all about resolution and pixel density.

Not really, it's about drawing techniques and skill.

Maybe also deadlines.

I think the gaming community really needs to start more clearly distinguishing between the terms "remake" and "remaster". Taking the original game and improving the graphics, audio, etc is not a remake: it's a remaster. A remake would if you were to recreate the entire game from scratch.

Resident Evil is the perfect example: the GameCube release was a remake (as far as I'm aware anyway), while the recent release was a remaster (of the remake).

Avoozl said:

I couldn't agree more when it comes to sprite-based games. However, many polygonal games made more than about 10 years ago have really aged quite badly (even Morrowind seems pretty ugly now - though there are some fan-made modes that greatly enhance it) so I'm generally not opposed to remakes or remasters of those.

NiGHTMARE said:

However, many polygonal games made more than about 10 years ago have really aged quite badly (even Morrowind seems pretty ugly now - though there are some fan-made modes that greatly enhance it) so I'm generally not opposed to remakes or remasters of those.

Well I agree basically, however I don't think Morrowind looks too bad considering that most other low poly games look far worse.

The environments aren't so bad, it's more the character and creature models that are pretty hideous by today's standards.

Actually, I'm not really a fan of the default character models in Oblivion, either - there are several fan made replacements which are far superior.