Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Map 01 music
Is the music of Doom2 map01 (Running from Evil)
This poll is closed.
Crap? 9 52.94%
Not Crap? 8 47.06%
Total: 17 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

Just a little question.

Am i the only who thinks Doom2's map01 music is total crap? You sure get to listen to it a lot of times. Most custom levels play at map01 and no all of them has a music replacement.

Old Post 05-28-02 07:38 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

MAP01's music is not crappy. It's just bad because we've heard it 1000000 times, yeah.

Old Post 05-28-02 09:15 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
niguel

not crap.

Old Post 05-28-02 11:32 #
niguel is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dsm
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

CRAP!
It's among the cheesiest Doom tracks at all. Happy shit.
A metal track would have been better in its place.

Old Post 05-28-02 12:32 #
dsm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

It's not happy at all.

Not that it's tearjerking or anything...

It's good intro music.

Old Post 05-28-02 13:28 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

Yeah I think it's pretty nice for intro music.

It does however suck badly in MAP15.

Old Post 05-28-02 15:39 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Spike
Team Future has a new Giger-esque in the works

Sucks big time compared to E1M1 and E1M2 from Ultimate Doom. Now they were cool tracks.

Old Post 05-28-02 19:51 #
Spike is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

I'd link you all to Strain Map 01 but Mark Klem's midi page appears to be broken :/

Old Post 05-28-02 20:42 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Linguica

IDMUS## you whiners.

Old Post 05-28-02 20:58 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

I don't like, no sir, not at all.
It's too....uh........not good.
It just doesn't sound right. I would have like something just a bit more suspenseful, or at least better sounding.

Old Post 05-28-02 21:10 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

D_RUNNIN is kinda jazzy. Lament ought to like it.

Old Post 05-28-02 21:20 #
Little Faith

Spike said:
Sucks big time compared to E1M1 and E1M2 from Ultimate Doom. Now they were cool tracks.

All music from Doom1 was cool, with the exception of D_E2M8. I have never really gotten to like that one and my soundcard fux it up.

Still we couldn't live without D_ROMERO, D_DDTBLU (get the mp3 version at mp3.com) and D_TENSE.

Old Post 05-28-02 21:21 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dsm

Fredrik said:
D_RUNNIN is kinda jazzy.

Exactly the reason why I find it too "happy" - yep it sounds happy to my ears (maybe not YOUR definition of "happy", but it is mine).
Either give me an evil sounding ambient track or some metal.

And "Waiting for Romero to play" sucks too imho it might be ambient, but it reminds me too much of some kiddie tune (with some sort of instrumental bells or something) - oh no, gimme good ol' "Suspense" (E1M5) and "The Demons from Adrian's pen" (E2M2 - love that level just for the music) for old Doom ambient tracks.

Old Post 05-29-02 19:09 #
Little Faith

I was once of the same impression as you but, try this.

Load Doom2 wad and jump to map27. After you killed all resistance loiter around this creepy level and allow the tune to creep up to you. You will find that this is one of those tunes that can make a spooky wad spookier.

It does suck on map18 though.

Old Post 05-29-02 19:24 #
dsm

Little Faith said:
I was once of the same impression as you but, try this.

Load Doom2 wad and jump to map27. After you killed all resistance loiter around this creepy level and allow the tune to creep up to you. You will find that this is one of those tunes that can make a spooky wad spookier.

It does suck on map18 though.

I admit that it fits map27 nicely - but it just doesn't appeal to me (I've already tried what you suggested), sorry.

Old Post 05-29-02 19:34 #
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Good map01 music.

Old Post 05-29-02 22:52 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

I actually like that music being used in MAP18.

Old Post 05-29-02 23:08 #
pritch
Super Moderator

ROTT's map01. Hmmm.....

Old Post 05-29-02 23:48 #
pritch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

pritch said:
ROTT's map01. Hmmm.....
ROTT IS NECROSEXUAL GAME FOR RETARDS

Old Post 05-30-02 00:31 #
dsm

Archvile64 said:
Good map01 music.

Hm, it's good - definitely better than the "official" map01 music in Doom 2, but it's too happy.

Old Post 05-30-02 09:07 #
Little Faith

Fredrik said:

Well, I agree that ROTT sucked. Primarily because of the lack of proper gameplay (the game couldn't make up it's mind whether it was a FPS or a platform game), lame adversaries, and that crap 90 degree wall limitation (as well as the same floor and ceiling height limitation).

It DID, however, have excellent music (some of it even composed by our own Bobby Prince) as well as a rather interesting set of textures. (The colour scheme kinda reminded me of Xenon2).

Old Post 05-30-02 09:50 #
Zro

If i'm not mistaken, ROTT's music are used Hell Revealed, and those are very good. Map 01 music isn't the best one's, but i like the version that was used in Freedoom.

The Links:
IWADs
S o u r c e ports
maps
tools
Frontend
Editor

Old Post 05-30-02 15:23 #
Zro is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Heh. The Map01 song is just a retarded metal ditty. The good stuff comes later (map10).

Old Post 05-30-02 17:35 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Erik

map01's music kicks ass, only problem is that I have heard it 1000+ times.

Old Post 05-30-02 18:06 #
Erik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dsm

If I had to choose between E1M1 and Map01 as a startmap music tune, I'd pick E1M1 - far superior combat feel to it imo.

Old Post 05-30-02 18:08 #
pritch
Super Moderator

Fredrik said:

SO ARE YOU.

And Little Faith I beg to differ about ROTT's gameplay. I enjoyed it, I thought the combination worked very well. And yes, the music roxors, and YES, ROTT's map01 music is great.

Old Post 05-30-02 23:31 #
pritch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
VileSlay

d-runnin isn't that good. I think its serves its purpose though. one of my faves is d_openin. I'm using it for my first wad.

edit: btw ROTT, I forget what that stood for, but wasn't that the game were you tripped on mushrooms?

"I only wish that you, the peons, the lowly zit ridden scum of outcast prepubescence so recklessly misspending the treasure of youth could truly understand my utter disdain for you as I look out from my lofty perch of immeasurable fame and opulence." beefcake the mighty of GWAR

Last edited by VileSlay on 05-30-02 at 23:43

Old Post 05-30-02 23:36 #
VileSlay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kid Airbag

dsm said:

Hm, it's good - definitely better than the "official" map01 music in Doom 2, but it's too happy.

TechnoDoom is "happy"?

Old Post 05-30-02 23:51 #
Little Faith

VileSlay said:
d-runnin isn't that good. I think its serves its purpose though. one of my faves is d_openin. I'm using it for my first wad.

edit: btw ROTT, I forget what that stood for, but wasn't that the game were you tripped on mushrooms?

D_OPENIN is a weird song to use. It is very positively scaring and excellent to build suspense but it is so quiet and lightly instrumented that even the most casual combat will drown it out.

ROTT means Rise Of The Triad, and yes it is the game where you trip on mushrooms. (I guess the developers did too). :)

Old Post 05-30-02 23:58 #
Mad_AX666
Loser

Map 01 music is a bit crappy in my opinion.

Old Post 06-01-02 14:43 #
Mad_AX666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote