Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Few minor additions / bug fixes

I changed / simplified the quote tags BTW. No more messing with bold and italics

Well "simplified" from a user perspective that is

Linguica said:

I changed / simplified the quote tags BTW. No more messing with bold and italics

Good. These {i}someone said:{/i}{b}{/b} thing were annoying and easy to accidentally mangle.

Linguica said:

(even though it won't actually scroll to the right post without javascript anyway...)

Was that changed several months ago? Unless I'm crazy, I remember clicking on post links (or after making a post) and being directed to the post without javascript.

TimeOfDeath said:

Was that changed several months ago? Unless I'm crazy, I remember clicking on post links (or after making a post) and being directed to the post without javascript.

It used to, yes. Around January I changed the code so that links showed up as /post/123456 instead of showthread.php?postid=123456#123456. I considered making the links be like /post/123456#123456 but thought that looked super gross.

The formatting when responding to a private message seems kinda sloppy I think, sometimes when going back and forth with someone I just highlight and delete the whole quote pyramid when responding to clean the message up.

Any ideas about being able to read what we last wrote to the person without quoting it in our messages?

Made the jump-to-unread-post icon go away when you've looked at the thread. Still need to work on it some more but it mostly works?

I wonder if it would be possible or worthwhile to make a couple of changes to how private messages are handled, since it's currently easy to miss PMs on Doomworld.

If the

You have 0 new message(s) since your last visit. (You have 0 unread messages and 1896 total messages in all your folders.)

message was displayed at the top of the subforum index (like on most other forums) rather than at the very bottom, that would be a start. The other part would be making sure that the "Mark All Forums Read" link only affects posts, not PMs.

While we're talking about the forums, is there a point to the "email notification" checkbox that appears when replying? Does that work for anyone?

And is it possible to make the "show signature" checkbox checked by default?

JudgeDeadd said:

And is it possible to make the "show signature" checkbox checked by default?

Do signatures even work? I've had them turned off since the dawn of time.

Linguica said:

UGH THAT IS SO UGLY WHY DO THOSE EVEN EXIST

it might look a bit better with a smaller font, like on other forums...?

Linguica said:

Made the jump-to-unread-post icon go away when you've looked at the thread. Still need to work on it some more but it mostly works?

FUCK yeah dude, I've been wanting this forever.

Until now, I never payed attention to the arrow-down icon next to some threads, I didn't know what did it mean, and not even that I could click it.

Linguica said:

Do signatures even work? I've had them turned off since the dawn of time.

Yes, by default, but you can check the last check box:

I'm really uncomfortable with the new way of displaying time on the left instead of right, and the date format (as I said before). I hope there will be Options in User Profile to revert the old behaviour.

I don't mind the date format, but I second the complaint on the time being on the left. I keep misreading every post as being made at 20:15

Figuring out the "best" way to display dates is annoying. I looked at some other websites:

Twitter:

11:00 AM - 24 May 2015

Facebook:

June 8 at 9:41am (date this year)
December 31, 2013 at 7:07pm (date previous year)

Youtube:

Nov 8, 2013

GMail:

May 12 (date this year)
12/11/14 (date previous year)

Something Awful:

Oct 14, 2014 09:42
12:15 Jun 10, 2015 (uses both in various places)

NeoGAF:

06-07-2015 02:00 AM

Quakeone.com:

06-08-2015 02:05 PM

Discourse:

Aug '14

4chan:

06/09/15(Tue)00:41:27

Doomworld is Youtube now. Pointless confusing changes when everything was fine. JK (maybe).

btw maybe lower the minimum post count for custom avatar while you're at it? I would understand something like 25 posts, but not 250.

Linguica said:

Figuring out the "best" way to display dates is annoying.

YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm:ss (UTC)

Memfis said:

btw maybe lower the minimum post count for custom avatar while you're at it? I would understand something like 25 posts, but not 250.

This would be nice.

scifista42 said:

New date format? Please give me an option to turn on the old one.

I like it, less confusing for foreigners like myself who grew up with the DD-MM-YYYY format.

Been wanting to ask this for a while and since I guess this is an appropriate thread, could we have support added for the Tapatalk app?
https://tapatalk.com/

I've been using it for a few other forums I go to, but Doomworld's forums aren't too mobile friendly these days. Not sure how much work you'd need but I think adding Tapatalk support would be great for visiting the forums on the go.

A nice idea, but the forum software is so ancient that it's likely impossible.

I do want to look into writing some sort of CSS monstrosity to reformat pages to be more mobile-friendly, though.

"Last Post" is still displayed on the left when browsing a subforum list of threads.

scifista42 said:

"Last Post" is still displayed on the left when browsing a subforum list of threads.

What?