Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wow this was fucking awesome. I must admit the randomness wore off on me. 30 minutes is the perfect length. I'm not sure that I could endure 90 minutes.

The thing that's really mind boggling is the $650,000 or whatever budget. Things must be different in Sweden.

The special effects are everywhere. It looks like its all green screen with CGI backgrounds. Sad to think this is just free on Youtube now.

Its astounding work by a one man director, writer, star, producer.

DoomUK said:

I get it, the 80's were awesome. I was there too.

I was, but I never liked it honestly.

My friend in Sweden says he's country locked out of watching it.

Wow its now free on Steam and a $2 game that looks like One Finger Death Punch with a new skin that makes it look like a belt scrolling beat'em up.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Lol an Action, or a Comedy movie ? Not sure .

Comedy. It could also be a sci-fi / historical cop drama too.

Holy shit, that Hasselhoff song is ridiculous! It's the Poe's Law of music; if I didn't know it was featured in an 80s action film parody released in 2015, I would have sworn it was a real song from the 80s.

The 80s will die with that man.

It's such a great movie. I found myself cheering at the sheer barrage of absurd nonsensicalness. Very unique cinematic style. The intentional lo-fi degradation effects compliment and blend the CGI quite well.

Film tech has reached the point where they can shoot in real time with CGI rendered backgrounds. Avatar had it first, then it trickled down to the series remake of "V". Can't say for certain if they employed this style of filming or if it was all in post.

It's such a fluent mish mash of everything. It's as if Monty Python made an action movie after binging on Far Cry Blood Dragon, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, and Kung Fu movies. ADHD Hipster inspired nostalgia diarrhea to some, indie film of this decade to others.

[i]My friend in Sweden says he's country locked out of watching it.
[/b]

Your friend in Sweden misses the obvious link in the description to the Swedish Broadcasting Service (SVT Sveriges Television) where swedish audience is asked to view it instead.

Video commentary by the Hoff. :)

kristus said:

Your friend in Sweden misses the obvious link in the description to the Swedish Broadcasting Service (SVT Sveriges Television) where swedish audience is asked to view it instead.

Not that this is any defense, but I didn't think anyone checks a description unless they're told to by an Internet famous Youtuber.

This movie is fucking hilarious, I don't remember the last movie I laughed so frequently between scenes.
That lazer dinosaur reminds me of something... be right back, replaying Blood Dragon.

LkMax said:

This movie is fucking hilarious, I don't remember the last movie I laughed so frequently between scenes.
That lazer dinosaur reminds me of something... be right back, replaying Blood Dragon.

Yeah I had it on a lunchbox growing up.

I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. Maybe it's because we have been so saturated with 80's exploitation revival for a while now and the novelty has started to wear off. It clearly takes a lot of inspiration from Danger 5 (the phone gunshot gag is directly from there) which in the end I enjoyed more. Main problem is that all the best stuff was already in the trailer and the way the whole package was strung together inbetween those moments felt weak. Ultimately I guess it just works much better as a mock trailer like all of those made for Grindhouse.

But if they have actual writers and such attached to the feature length project, I'm much more hopeful about that.

Scuba Steve said:

Holy shit, that Hasselhoff song is ridiculous! It's the Poe's Law of music; if I didn't know it was featured in an 80s action film parody released in 2015, I would have sworn it was a real song from the 80s.

It was made by Mitch Murder who is one of the most talented people in the growing Synthwave scene. He earned every bit of his success from this.

Jaxxoon R said:

Oshi ---Dinoriders?

Yep it was a thing back in the 80s or whenever. Almost a normal thing to mix animals with lasers. Can't use guns. Always gotta be lasers. Beautiful, eye catching for people that like shinny bright things and because no kid could then kill someone with a laser.

So is this supposed to be some kind of wierd spiritual successor to What's up tiger lily or something?

I wonder if Spielberg can subcontract this director for $2 million to do a Jurassic Park prequel and keep the other $200 million to make the movie.

I feel like this must be peak 80s retro and we'll start to see less and less of this stuff going forward. I can't imagine another movie successfully using this gimmick; even a longer version of this one would have been too much.

90s retro seems to be catching on with shows like Twin Peaks, The X-Files, and Full House all coming back...

I think I started laughing at "Knock-les" and then just sort enjoyed it from there on. This would've gotten out of hand if it were any larger and I can't imagine they aren't going to make another one after the internet buzz that got around. We'll see how that goes...