Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Gaming Confessional Booth

• I grew tired of FPSs a long time ago. The most recent one I played through was the first Half-life. The only others I've enjoyed since then were Half-Life 2, TF2, and the Portal series (if you even count Portal as an FPS). I just have no interest in the genre anymore. That being said, I still play through at least one or two episodes of Doom on an annual basis, and have played through Wolfenstein a couple times in the last decade. So there's that.

• Considering the posts above, and my previous confession, I guess I have to admit I like Valve's games.

• I never owned any consoles as a kid. As a result, I missed out on a lot of the "you're not a true gamer unless you've played" franchises. I haven't ever really played any games from the Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Sonic, or Mega Man franchises among others.

• I haven't actually played any PWADs in about a decade.

• I've only played about 40% of the games I own on Steam, and I've only beaten maybe 20% of any games I've ever played. I'm a bad gamer.

• To explain, I tend to get bored with games pretty easily, then go back to games I've already put hundreds of hours into. Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis, the Civ series, city builders, and the Sims series are ones I tend to come back to repeatedly.

• Oh yeah, BTW, I fucking love the Sims series. I've put thousands of hours into the first three games. There's something about home design, fashion and raising a family I kind of love. :3 The Sims games are basically my guilty gaming pleasure.

-I don't care at all for most of the major Nintendo franchises, like Mario, Zelda and the Metroid games(Although I loved the old 2D Metroid games). Kirby is the only Nintendo franchise I really like. He's just so cuddly and adorable, holy shit
-I don't like turn based, strategy, VN, point'n click and puzzle games. Any game that doesn't require some kind of reflex and motor skill actually
-I don't care about Half-Life. Or Valve for that matter. I can see why people love their games, but I just don't care.
-I love playing video games, but I don't like the "culture" surrounding gaming. I don't think I even have a reason to dislike it, I'm just a cynical asshole at heart.

To me Duke nukem forever remains a modern reincarnation of duke nukem 3D. Even the level design feels the same to me. in d3d you are jumping on platforms / ledges, pressing the action button on pooltables, shooting aliens, and taking a piss in a toilet... in duke nukem forever you do the same just with more modern graphics.

Graphics are never a problem for me, i hapilly play a playstation 1 game or something from 2003 in the same day i play something from 2010. Sometimes i get more immersed into a playstation 2 title than in anything newer.

I do not like the internet gamers and their culture of fake. They all seem to be obnoxious idiots living in a world of non existing scandals and irrelevant complaints about anything in any game.

I gave up on chasing the newest of the new, or following game critics.

Another confession I have, I'm a big fan of the Half-Life series, but I could never get into Counter Strike or Team Fortress. I've never played Portal, either.

I think anyone who unironically uses the words "casual gamer" as an insult deserves as many atomic wedgies as their high school peers could bless them with.

-only console I have ever owned was a Gamecube.
-I'm addicted to JRPGs.
-never played a single Sonic game in my life
-for that matter I've never played Sims, GTA, Halo, Resident Evil, and any modern game franchise.
-only Final Fantasy game I liked was IV. I too think the series should stop.
-I loathe iOS games.
-I like Freelancer a lot but I'm not sure I will like Star Citizen when it comes out.

Captain Red said:

I think anyone who unironically uses the words "casual gamer" as an insult deserves as many atomic wedgies as their high school peers could bless them with.

I think calling games like the Sims, Candy Crush and Farm Villian click- harvest games are anything but casual. Do you know how time consuming and life revolving those games are? They're some of the most hardcore games I've ever faced and still never beat any of them!

Captain Red said:

I keep wanting to use the term "casual gamer" when it fits, but don't want to since it has become an insult. I keep using terms such as "non-enthusiast gamer" and stuff like that. For some reason, gaming keeps coming up in my college essays (go figure, I'm going for CS degrees) and I have a hard time differentiating between someone who wants to build a gaming rig and someone who is fine with a tablet for gaming without sounding insulting.

The only main quest I finished for The Elder Scrolls / Fallout games is the MQ for Oblivion.

I don`t like the games Piranha Bytes craps out. I only played Gothic and Risen and got fed up with it all. Fuck oversized pecking birds and swamp slugs.

I have never played a Grand Theft Auto game. Modern settings tend to bore the hell out of me. I tried Saints Row The Third and only played an hour... that was boring as shit. I don`t even know why I bought it.

I don`t pay full price for many games. Last time I paid full price for a game was Skyrim on Steam. I tend to wait for the sales but I have yet to buy anything during the current Summer Sale on Steam. Nothing appeals it seems.

I have never played World of Warcraft or Duke Nukem Forever or a multitude of other games.

I don`t finish most games. I think the last game I finished was Torchlight 2, then Portal 2 and Oblivion and Jedi Academy.

Last time I owned a console was the Atari 2600. I never wanted another console after switching to a PC.

One time on the Commodore 64 I typed up the game code from some magazine about three times because it syntax errored or some shit and refused to run. It turned out there were spelling errors in the magazine. Fuck.

I hate when a game ports to PC and it's required to use a controller.

I've always been envious of people who are really good at button mashing fighting games like street fighter, virtua fighter, king of fighters, tekken, marvel vs. Capcom, etc. The only one I've ever been remotely good at was the first mortal combat, but even that game was kinda sloppy as a fighting game. For some reason those feel like the ultimate test of being a better gamer than someone else. That said, I also consider games like quake 1, quake 3, unreal tournament, counterstrike, age of empires 2, and the extreme bullet hell shooters to be the top tier in testing gaming skill.

I always thought sports games were dumb, but if I had the time, I've recently been tempted to buy an outdated sports game, like NBA 2k1 or an old madden or something, and skillfully study the AI so I can record videos of me playing as a notoriously bad sports team and totally fucking dominating anyone's favorite team. But i don't have time for stuff like that anymore.

I'm really disappointed that the grand theft auto series devolved into more of a role playing game than an action police chase gang banger game. I guess GTA 2 didn't do so well, but I consider that game to be by far the best in the series. GTA2 online deathmatch is one of the most exciting deathmatch modes I've seen in a game, but unless rockstar releases the source code for it, the netcode is gonna remain obsolete and outdated and slow.

It breaks my heart to see games that were once primarily single player shift focus on to multiplayer modes. It feels like a cheap way to extend the lifetime of a game. I wish more games would have more dynamic and changing single player modes to extend the lifetime that way, instead of depending on gamers to create the gameplay themselves by playing against each other.

I've been playing Doom on a controller for years now, to the point where playing shooters with a keyboard and mouse setup feels extremely awkward to me.

I have no interest in tactics-style rpg games where you get into battles and navigate a menu and take turns selecting attacks until one side loses. This includes Mario rpg, final fantasy, and Pokemon. I feel like they all suck.

40oz said:

I've always been envious of people who are really good at button mashing fighting games like street fighter, virtua fighter, king of fighters, tekken, marvel vs. Capcom, etc. The only one I've ever been remotely good at was the first mortal combat, but even that game was kinda sloppy as a fighting game.

I have no words to express my anger

Mortal Kombat is supposed to be spelled with a K and button mashing is a horrible terrible disgusting word to describe any of those fighting games.

40oz said:

I always thought sports games were dumb, but if I had the time, I've recently been tempted to buy an outdated sports game, like NBA 2k1 or an old madden or something, and skillfully study the AI so I can record videos of me playing as a notoriously bad sports team and totally fucking dominating anyone's favorite team. But i don't have time for stuff like that anymore.

I got many hours of entertainment in my youth out of "Blades of Steel" on my brother's NES, despite knowing nothing of hockey outside of that.

SavageCorona said:

Mortal Kombat is supposed to be spelled with a K and button mashing is a horrible terrible disgusting word to describe any of those fighting games.

To me button mashers and smashers will always remain people without knowledge of what they are entering on their controller. most fighting games have detailed and complex fighting systems and defined commands to be entered when you want to activate a combo, special, super, counter, etc.

SavageCorona said:

Ducking autocorrect.

FireFish said:

To me button mashers and smashers will always remain people without knowledge of what they are entering on their controller. most fighting games have detailed and complex fighting systems and defined commands to be entered when you want to activate a combo, special, super, counter, etc.

It frustrates me when my friend sits down and plays Mortal Kombat X, randomly mashing buttons without having any clue what he's actually doing, and almost beats me after I've spent hundreds of hours perfecting combos kombos and juggles and shit. *manly tear*

If he actually beat me, I think I might just quit fighting games.

About button mashing, if played DBZ games then you know how hard they are.
Basicly anime fighting, beat-em-ups and similar games are hard to play, without button mashing, that is.

Piper Maru said:

One more confession, I've never played Rage. Is it actually good and should I try it out?

Yes. I'm playing it now for the first time after owning it for years. Its very enjoyable right off the bat. If you're looking for diverse enemies, look elsewhere, the enemies here are so good and lifelike that they don't need many types, just like the Arkham and Uncharted games.

Enemies take cover, try to flank you, throw grenades, run at you like crazies, take cover, peak out, prop themselves up when about to die and keep shooting. Run away on rare occasions. Shooting them in the hip or leg affects how they run and that was a major selling point of the game, but that's been in since Quake or Quake 2. Head shots don't seem to kill. Damage from your weapon feels pretty random. I can put my gun to the back of someone's head, pull the trigger and he doesn't die... then shoot him 2 more times in the head and he's not dead, but long range with the same pistol shooting someone in the shoulder... dead.

Vehicle segments are kept short, driving is fun, unlike Duke Forever and has a boost... like Duke Forever. Playing Rage back to back with Doom 3 and Duke Forever, Rage is the game I want to play out of all 3.

Its beautiful and a game that I like being in. Shooting is good, regenerating health, defibrillation if you die. The only real downside is in a world made of junk, everything feels the same even if its vastly different from area to area. The NPCs look and feel different rather than TES games that have 1 body with different heads and clothes.

Since its open world, there is a mini map that shows you a path where you need to go, as long as you're on the overworld. If you're in the underworld / levels, there is no map and that's where the bulk of the game is.

Wall textures are laughably low quality, despite being such a gorgeous game. Character model textures are high quality. The game also seems to be racist against countries. Bad guy = British accent. Non bad guy = southern drawl.

Apart from Doom I don't really play games other than in these scenarios:

1. My son Dylan wants me to play with him or watch me play. Recently this has been Shovel Knight, Knockout Kings and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.

2. FIFA franchise games with my buddies every so often when we get together for a beer and takeaway.

3. Stupid phone games if I'm stuck waiting for something or just to pass a small amount of time. Recently these have been Fruit Splash , Booking Revolution and Nimble Quest.

Sometimes when I look at my games folder and wonder what to play, I just look at the game names and play the game through in my head.

I think too many games have become kind of like Progress Quest, the only difference is that I need to press buttons and move the mouse, and some graphics and sound effects happen.

In computer role playing games I often play the Elf Warrior/Mage/Thief or whatever equivalent. It just that, that type of character has the most possibilities in exploring the game world thoroughly. I played an idiot character once. It was funny, but kind of missed half the side quests.

In Deus Ex I always go flush every toilet. I throw things at people. I break things and windows even if I don't need to. It's pretty cold and dark in Maggie Chow's penthouse (and it goes on forever), after I threw everything out of the windows. I step on every cat and cleaner bot to kill/destroy them. I steal everyone's money to buy more accuracy weapon mods. Before I talk to people, I jump on a table/etc or crouch. I think they don't want to talk if I'm crouching under a table. I stick the riot prod on people's butts. They seem to like it.

In third person games I often move by tapping the movement buttons, which can make player character to look like sliding or doing some kind of dance. Most fun in Anarchy Online was to move weird and do gesture/emotion animations.