Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireFish

The game genres you play.

What are your favorite genres and why do you play them, and do you want to share some extra information about your preferred games ?
This is not exact science, i owned hundreds upon hundreds of games in a multitude of genres which i liked so its just an estimation and not the definite answer.

0 - Japanse games in multiple genres.
Most games i adored, admired, enjoyed, or got sucked into for their story and gameplay where of Japanese origins. As an example the game with the most playtime and replays ever in my entire gaming history remains "Way of the samurai" for the Playstation 2. It has a well developed story in an action RPG setting where the choices you make decide the outcome. The players also decides what gender he or she plays as, the face, and outfit. (who do you kill, who do you protect, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaJmDjKwBZg

1 - fighting games, and some selective brawlers
Tekken, Street fighter, Virtua fighter, Naruto, Gundam, Guilty gear, King of fighters, Godhand, once i owned a near complete collection of dragonball z games made for the ps2 (those are going to be the second most played games in my life), etc.

2 - Action rpg's without a gigantic sandbox world, an open story is fine

3 - First and third person shooters, stealth games, action combinations
Metal gear, bulletstorm, etc.

Gaming is one of my main hobbies, that span many genres.

Besides Doom & Quake, I really enjoy...

Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Dead Space
Crysis
Far Cry
Starcraft
Warcraft
System Shock
Penumbra

Heck, I still enjoy Sonic The Hedgehog, the older games of course.

Piper Maru said:

Gaming is one of my main hobbies, that span many genres.

Heck, I still enjoy Sonic The Hedgehog, the older games of course.

I agree with both of those sentences which i brutally ripped from their rightful place in your post. Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 are still highly enjoyable, and why wouldn't they be. ;)

Retro gaming is not a genre, but damn do i play a lot of old games.

I feel like the best way to answer this question is with a screenshot of my Steam categories.

FPS, arcade, JRPG, action, adventure, platformers.

FireFish said:

Retro gaming is not a genre, but damn do i play a lot of old games.

^ this.

Tomb Raider is one of my favourite serie. I love to explore the levels, find the secrets and solve puzzles; and it has a really good mixture of action, platform and adventure elements.
Also I like turn-based strategy games, I really dig Civilization IV and the Total War serie. Both are very enduring games, and they combine with my passion for history (especially Total War).

Just first person shooters. Other generes of games I don't enjoy or just flat out dislike. I've been playing Unreal Tournament, the first fps game i played, since I was 7 and I always had a love for FPS game. But I also like the action RPG games like Deus Ex, the first PC game I've played.

When I was about 6 I used to play a few games on the nes, snes, and arcade emulators but after a while I stopped because they weren't as enjoyable.

The current games I play are mostly
UT
DOOM
Quake
and Deus Ex.
These are the only series of games I still enjoy.

Hack n' slash, JRPG, action-RPG, tactical/turn-based, platformer, fighter, sandbox, and FPS.

While I favor these genres, the game has to appeal to me in terms of art style as well.

I seem to play old FPS games the most, but I also like Beat'em Ups/Hack'n Slash, Fighting and the so called "Metroidvanias". Other than that, I'll play pretty much anything that entertains me, regardless of genre. Hell, one friend even introduced me to a MUD once and I had a blast, although I haven't played it since because I sucked at it.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Hell, one friend even introduced me to a MUD once and I had a blast, although I haven't played it since because I sucked at it.

A MUD... Talk about something a lot of people would never encounter in their life, i only encountered them once on a gaming related google and wiki binge.

This reminds me of some browser based game many years ago in which you build an army and fortress (pure text and numbers) while gaining men by clicking on a button daily. They used to make click-bots for that game.