Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elbryan42

My rant - Music piracy.

Here's the deal: I'll admit I have Warez for adobe photoshop and Unreal Tournament. This is because the total sum of money I've had in the past two months does not equal up to $20.

However, I have respect for music. Dave Matthews being my favorite band, there's only three CDs of his I don't have. However, despite the face my friend offered to burn them for me, I won't take it. I couldn't do that.

I don't even have a problem with people that warez music, or anything, my problem is with people that happily warez one type of product but scream about someone using warez Doom etc

As a musician myself, I can say that I'd LOVE it if people were trading my music across the internet. Unfortunately, that's just not happening.

Little Faith said:

You are a hypocrite just like everyone else.

What about those programmers that made photoshop??

Do you have any idea how much Photoshop costs?

fraggle said:

Do you have any idea how much Photoshop costs?

W3rd. Any program costing more than like $150 deserves to be warez'd.

fodders said:

On CNN tonight they say music pirates cost theindustry $4.3 billion per year

You wonder how they got that number. Data and information on the 'Net are so etherial, and impossible to quantify. There's no way to tell just how many copies of a song are floating around out there, the same way as it's impossible to tell how many people have the Doom shareware.

There inflated in the same way as they inflate the numbers of people who die from AIDS in Africa. Apparently, if you compare the number of people who died in 1999 of AIDS, to the total number of people who died from anything, you'll find they're the same. Then again, gotta work hard to justify spending 25 billion to save a bunch of spoiled 1st world caucasians from their own stupidity....

fodders said:

On CNN tonight they say music pirates cost the industry $4.3 billion per year

Thats only if you assume that everyone who downloads a song would have bought it otherwise. Would you have bought every CD for every song you've downloaded if you couldn't have downloaded it?

I try to pirate as little as possible. If someone comes to me with the latest game, I'll get it from them. I'm not going out of my way to pirate.

Music CDs are next to nothing. $20 at the most. Big fucking deal. If you're too cheap to buy them, there's a problem.

Look at software though. The developers and publishers could easily charge $20-30 a game, like quality products like Serious Sam 1 & 2 and Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. I'm proud to own such awesome pieces of software for cheap. But look at the prices of everything else. I'm don't like spending $60-80 for a game I may not even play through. I try to buy as much software I use as possible. However, Windows XP Professional being $250+ and the newest Photoshop or Soundforge being over $500 is highway robbery. No matter how great the program is, the only people who would actually buy it is big companies and those with endless pocketbooks, and an endless dose of stupidity.

There's my 2 cents. Buy the software and cds you'll get good use use out of.

Thats only if you assume that everyone who downloads a song would have bought it otherwise. Would you have bought every CD for every song you've downloaded if you couldn't have downloaded it?

No I wouldn't. I would've waited for someone to get the tape or cd, or wait for the song on the radio, tape it onto a blank tape.

However, there is a HUGE problem about people who refuse to buy any CDs whatsoever no matter how much they enjoy the music.

I don't care about the artists. Let them all starve.

In fact, most of the people whose music I listen to are already dead. If I were to buy CDs, the money would go to producers, who would spend it on creating/promoting more teeny-bopper pop-stars. No thanks.

fodders said:

On CNN tonight they say music pirates cost the industry $4.3 billion per year

Yeah and 95% of that is probably spent on trying to stop it in the first place.

Lüt said:

Yeah and 95% of that is probably spent on trying to stop it in the first place.

More like trying to figure out how to stop it. Its just never going to happen. There are always ways around anti-piracy locks, and they are usualy quite simple. The trick is figuring them out, and hardcore pirates just do that already for the rest of us.

Sorry about posting a few days later but anyways...

I download music off the net. So sue me (someone will see this and they will)...I like the song, next day, I go and buy it from the store. If they don't have it, I order it in.

And did you know that it is illegal to copy your music cds that you own onto your compy? I was reading about it like 2 days ago in an article somewhere...

And Courtney Love seriously wrote that article? Stupid bitch.

"Blah blah blah I can't live on $45000 a year"

Boo fucking hoo, some people and families have to live on half of that sometimes a third and she is fucking complaining?

Sorry about the swearing but hey I am pissed off again for no reason. Bye.

Most albums are 90% shit with one good song. Will I be paying £15 for one song that I like and 11 that I'll listen too maybe once? Nooooo, I think not.

Courtney Love should maybe write some good songs that people want to buy in order to up her income a bit.

Courtney Love, what an utterly useless human being.

Surely I'm not the only one that thinks that paying 20-30 bucks for a CD is just WRONG. If music wasn't so expensive most people wouldn't bother trying to rip them off the net. Then again telling these "artists" to take a pay cut isn't going to get you anywhere, the money grubbing little status whores....

Fod, I think the whole point of this is: if ya wanna warez, warez. That's your business, your concience, your funeral if you get caught. Just don't offer links to or request warez on the forums. It will cause problems for Ling and Telefragged and it will get you banned.

Yeh, but you often see people discuss copying mp3's from ?Kazza etc, with others joining in, but let someone mention they warez'd Doom, and see the fur fly :)

Yeh, but you often see people discuss copying mp3's from ?Kazza etc, with others joining in, but let someone mention they warez'd Doom, and see the fur fly :)

It's a running joke. I don't have a problem with anybody who warez'd Doom, and as far as I can tell most other peeps here don't either. It's the people who up and ask for Doom warez that get their butts whooped.

Rellik said:

Courtney Love, what an utterly useless human being.

Surely I'm not the only one that thinks that paying 20-30 bucks for a CD is just WRONG. If music wasn't so expensive most people wouldn't bother trying to rip them off the net. Then again telling these "artists" to take a pay cut isn't going to get you anywhere, the money grubbing little status whores....

Most musicians, even those who actually sells some CD's, does not get fantastically high wages and their jobs dictates an expensive lifestyle (lots of travelling around, long periods with much work but no income). Only a very few earns a lot of money and it is only the most shrewd of them (like Elton John) who avoids economic problems.

I think that it is the major labels that scores the majority of the surplus. But you should keep in mind that music industry today is very expensive. Tours, videos, endless recording sessions, gear: It all costs.

IMJack said:

It's a running joke. I don't have a problem with anybody who warez'd Doom, and as far as I can tell most other peeps here don't either. It's the people who up and ask for Doom warez that get their butts whooped.

To be quite honest, I dont have a problem with warez myself. From what I understand, it isnt allowed on doomworld because it is illegal and doomworld could theoretically be shut down. That and they want to keep good relations with id if possible. In any case, it seems incredibly rude to me to go around propositioning complete strangers to help you break the law.

Average price of albums in the UK is about £13, swinging from £9.99 to £17.99. Check out Music Zone - there's one in most cities, and almost all their CDs have a top price of a tenner.

As for Courtney - who gives a toss, Hole have/are splitting up anyway, and she'll only be remembered as a hypocritical, loudmouthed slut who lived off Kurt's fame. The only acting she's capable of is a drug-addled retard... admittedly, there's not much acting involved there.

Rant : over.

My perspective is...

Downloading a couple songs to get an insight into what the artist/album is like is a pretty good way of getting an idea of whetever or not you want to buy. I support it and I'm in a band..

But downloading whole albums and numerous catalogues of songs is just pathetic, selling pirate music is worst.