Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > The Grunge Masters
The best band of grunge music?
This poll is closed.
Pearl Jam 3 15.79%
Nirvana 7 36.84%
Soundgarden 0 0%
Alice In Chains 5 26.32%
Temple Of The Dog 0 0%
Stone Temple Pilots 0 0%
Tad 0 0%
Mudhoney 0 0%
Other (please specify) 1 5.26%
I don\'t really care... 3 15.79%
Total: 19 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Davidoom

\

Old Post 07-11-02 10:55 #
Davidoom is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Alice in Chains is my favorite band on the list, but I wouldn't exactly call them grunge.

Old Post 07-11-02 12:44 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Insomniak
Doesn't Sleep!

Nirvana

Grunge music died the day Kurt Cobain shot himself.

Old Post 07-11-02 12:47 #
Insomniak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Spike
Team Future has a new Giger-esque in the works

Ah, but did he?

Anyway, conspiracies aside, i'm more for AIC - and this is coming from a Nirvana fan.

Old Post 07-11-02 18:38 #
Spike is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Heh...I could tell you which town a lot of those band members live, and how many miles it is from my house. Anyway, 3 years ago I would have picked Soundgarden because I was a real big fan of theirs, but I have to say AIC. Hmmm...I also just realised you have Temple of the Dog up there. Too bad they only made one album.

Old Post 07-11-02 19:35 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Davidoom

Lüt said:
Alice in Chains is my favorite band on the list, but I wouldn't exactly call them grunge.

Well..they were a very hard grunge band then...but the Jar Of Flies and Unplugged albums they did were very delicate and softer, I suppose I favour both of them.

I tend to disagree. Soundgarden released two amazing albums, 1994's "Superunknown" and 1996's "Down On The Upside" - both IMO their best albums. The Foo Fighers' first album was a hope, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, Best Kissers in the world, Fastbacks, Dinosaur Jr, AIC, STP all had success during the mid 90s...I think grunge died in 1997 with the end of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam's change into "No Code" and many other bands becoming defunct..

Heh...I could tell you which town a lot of those band members live - Seattle eh? :D

And yeah TOTD were amazing, it's a shame Andy Wood died too...

Old Post 07-11-02 20:13 #
Davidoom is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy

Davidoom said:
Heh...I could tell you which town a lot of those band members live - Seattle eh? :D

Actualy, a lot of the members of Soundgarden and AIC live in my county, up on Bainbridge Island from what I've heard.

Old Post 07-11-02 22:17 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Davidoom said:
Well..they were a very hard grunge band then...but the Jar Of Flies and Unplugged albums they did were very delicate and softer, I suppose I favour both of them.
SAP is probably my favorite AIC disc.

I suppose their second one was rather grunge but it had a lot of other elements to it as well. The self-titled was something I'd describe as grungy, but I don't think it actually fit the genre itself.

Old Post 07-11-02 22:43 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

AIC...Guess why :)

Old Post 07-11-02 23:05 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Pixies!

Old Post 07-12-02 02:14 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy

fraggle said:
Pixies!

LOL

My friend keeps trying to get me hooked on them...theres one song I kinda dig, but otherwise, meh.

Old Post 07-12-02 08:32 #
læmænt
BAND

N I R V A N A

Old Post 07-12-02 09:56 #
læmænt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
xooz98

gotta post on this one

nirvana of course!

besides, they really created grunge - it was completely new, that takes real genius. no one did it better than the originals - but there are some other good grunge groups - namely alice in chains, stp, and soundgarden.

...pearl jam = grunge? i dunno about that one, i never thought of them as that. i like pearl jam, but i dunno really.

anyway nirvana rules and stuff

-xooz98

Old Post 07-13-02 06:15 #
xooz98 is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Amaster
Artificial Mechanical Android Skilled in Troubleshooting and Efficient Repair

I never considered Pearl Jam grunge either but they're my favorite band on the list.

Old Post 07-13-02 06:18 #
Amaster is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy

xooz98 said:
nirvana of course!

besides, they really created grunge - it was completely new, that takes real genius.

I have no idea when they started, but Soundgarden had been around since 86, and they spawned from an earlier band, Mother Love Bone which from the little I heard of them was also grunge.

Old Post 07-13-02 09:00 #
Wobbo
Of course, I could be wrong

AIC

Old Post 07-13-02 15:00 #
Wobbo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Little Faith
Rigtige mænd er voldtægtsmænd

Insomniac said:
Nirvana

Actually, no! Grunge still exists and new grunge bands still form. Unfortunately this famous suicide did channel most of the attention to this genre unto one shocking event and when that was old news the attention that this genre deserved petered out.

When people are discussing the nu-metal phenomenon they often mention hip hop and early rap/funk-rock but I think that grunge has just as big an impact on nu-metal.

Old Post 07-13-02 15:24 #
Little Faith is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

xooz98 said:
nirvana of course!

besides, they really created grunge -

Grunge started with the Pixies, not Nirvana!

Old Post 07-13-02 15:44 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Davidoom

Grunge WAS started by bands like Malufunkshun, Mother Love Bone, Skin Yard, The Melvins, Green River. Mark Arm, Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, Andy Wood, Chad Channing are many names of whom started the bands around mid 80s.

Mudhoney, Soundgarden, MLB, Sonic Youth began to record albums which caused a diversion between the hair bands of Bon Jovi etc. - Soundgarden led the charge and suddenly in 1989, Andy Wood was dead. This then brought Temple Of the Dog to the front, Soundgarden, Nirvana and Alice In Chains recorded more succesful albums and then from on it went on and on..

Pearl Jam can be categorized as a grunge band, members before PJ were in totd, green river, mlb, fastbacks...

Members collaborated with other grunge music counterparts during pj's reign and their sound is *******ly grunge, most *******ly on the first two albums.

Old Post 07-14-02 11:59 #
Spike
Team Future has a new Giger-esque in the works

I'd like to see Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) garotted on the same piece of catgut as Scott Stapp (Creed).

Man, Vedder's voice annoys me enough without Stapp replicating his godawful whinge in the here and now.

Old Post 07-14-02 21:21 #
Spike is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
læmænt
BAND

Who cares what grunge started with?

N I R V A N A

Old Post 07-15-02 06:53 #
læmænt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote