16 members have voted

1. 1. What beta weapon would have been cool in DooM

• Rifle with bayonet
    • Unmaker
    • Dark Claw
    • BFG 2704
    • All of them
    • They would have all sucked

I think the rifle would have been better for a starting weapon instead of that crappy little pistol.

I'd agree on the rifle. Secondary fire is used as a melée attack, allowing you to gut zombies and imps up close, tho it wouldn't do more than scratch a Baron.

Yeah, it would also be more plausible.

It seems OK enough that the marine is armed with a standard issue rifle when all the others get to play around with chainguns and plasma weapons, but having a top trained elite soldier run around with only a sidearm seems a bit weird.

Spike said:

I'd agree on the rifle. Secondary fire is used as a melée attack, allowing you to gut zombies and imps up close, tho it wouldn't do more than scratch a Baron.

Trooper zombies seem to be armed with single-shot rifles. id could have at least given them sidearms instead.

I just like the Infantry Rifle. It looked cooler than the pistol. The other weapons seem a bit ridiculous to me. Isn't the unmaker basically like the BFG? I can't really remember what that death claw does but obviously the BFG 2407 thingy is supposed to be like the current BFG, except the big blast shoots out smaller shots.

Lizardcommando said:

I just like the Infantry Rifle. It looked cooler than the pistol. The other weapons seem a bit ridiculous to me. Isn't the unmaker basically like the BFG? I can't really remember what that death claw does but obviously the BFG 2407 thingy is supposed to be like the current BFG, except the big blast shoots out smaller shots.

Like Quake 3's Christmas BFG

What does the Rifle look like? I don't see any pictures of it in the Doom Bible .pdf file.