Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Best PC Gamepad?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AndrewB
I would commit first degree murder and then fabricate evidence to make it look like self defense.

Just wondering if anyone knew what the best gamepad for PC use currently is. Something USB I would imagine, and something useful for SNES emulation. I hear there's some kind of PS2-like controller for a PC which is supposedly quite good? Mega-good info please.

Old Post 08-12-02 01:13 #
AndrewB is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

I havn't used a gamepad since they had those old Gravis things.

Old Post 08-12-02 01:15 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
stphrz
I use a blowtorch to make crème brûlée

the_Danarchist said:
I havn't used a gamepad since they had those old Gravis things.
I still use those.

Old Post 08-12-02 01:37 #
stphrz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

AndrewB said:
Just wondering if anyone knew what the best gamepad for PC use currently is. Something USB I would imagine, and something useful for SNES emulation. I hear there's some kind of PS2-like controller for a PC which is supposedly quite good? Mega-good info please.

hammerhead fx

Old Post 08-12-02 01:41 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB
I would commit first degree murder and then fabricate evidence to make it look like self defense.

RailGunner said:

hammerhead fx

Thanks for your itty bitty tiny bit of info which barely qualifies as useful. Appreciated.

Old Post 08-12-02 02:11 #
AndrewB is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nxn
meephead

Some time ago someone posted a converter you could use to hook your ps2 pad up to the pc. I'm not quite sure, I think it was Seph, but it was months among months ago. Google mind find something though.

Old Post 08-12-02 03:59 #
nxn is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB

I don't have a PS2 so that obviously means nothing to me. I'm thinking along the lines of a Gravis Gamepad Pro USB. 10 buttons, basically the same layout as a SNES controller except an extra set of L/R buttons.

I thought about using our regular Gravis Gamepad, but then I realized that my laptop has no MIDI port.

Old Post 08-12-02 04:38 #
IMJack
Web Radio Geek

I've been using an M$ SideWinder. One of the mid-levle models. Set up like the old Sega CD, with two rows of three buttons, as well as a single pair of shoulder buttons. Counting select and start, ten buttons in all, plus a digital crosspad. Really kinda bare-bones, but it works for console ports and emulation. I got it for about $25 at EB about four months ago; with my luck, it's prolly down to $15 by now.

Old Post 08-12-02 06:13 #
IMJack is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

yay. now that imjack is here he can get rid of the junk in nightmare's thread (dont ph it).

Old Post 08-12-02 06:14 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

AndrewB said:
Thanks for your itty bitty tiny bit of info which barely qualifies as useful. Appreciated.

10 buttons, vibration, customization, auto code buttons, and other little features.
$30.

Old Post 08-12-02 06:15 #
nxn
meephead

AndrewB said:
I don't have a PS2 so that obviously means nothing to me.

Oh, well you could get one seperatly for under $30 bucks, and as far as I know, they are the best and most comfortable controllers you can get. Your choice though, and it also is a bit much for a controller.

Old Post 08-12-02 06:19 #
nxn is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

i love ps2 controllers! expectially that new one with the built in air conditioner from nyko.

Old Post 08-12-02 06:22 #
nxn
meephead

wtf? air conditining? what kind of pansies need that?

/me hammers rusty nails through his controller.
Play like a real man!

Old Post 08-12-02 06:23 #
AndrewB

IMJack said:
I've been using an M$ SideWinder. One of the mid-levle models. Set up like the old Sega CD, with two rows of three buttons, as well as a single pair of shoulder buttons. Counting select and start, ten buttons in all, plus a digital crosspad. Really kinda bare-bones, but it works for console ports and emulation. I got it for about $25 at EB about four months ago; with my luck, it's prolly down to $15 by now.
Guess what? We have a MSidewinder. It sucks so much I never use it. But then again. I'll go take a look.. It's just that the way the handle revolves and curves... it's too awkward. It's stupidly awkward and it's insanely dumb. There's no way I could get used to something so brainlessly putrid in ten weeks.

I'm getting along OK with keyboard/SNES type setup, but I seek improvements.

Old Post 08-12-02 08:05 #
Dysfunctional
Loser

I picked up my sidewinder for like 15 bucks, but the best gamepad i ever had was a Interact Hammerhead FX, I could use my PSX emu really easy with that thicg it had analog and all that good shit. The only problem was i had to get rid of the bitch after i upgraded to XP. No Driver. oh well

Old Post 08-14-02 05:59 #
Dysfunctional is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Heh...it's Dys.

Old Post 08-14-02 06:00 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB

Right now I'm thinking about the Gravis Gamepad Pro USB, which is roughly the same shape as a PS1 controller, but the same layout as a Super NES controller except there's an extra set of L-R buttons.

The other one I'm looking at is the Thrustmaster Dual Analog Gamepad. It's basically a rubbery Gamecube controller with USB. It all depends on what I can find at a local computer store.

Old Post 08-14-02 06:10 #
Dysfunctional
Loser

Oh another this DON'T BUY any logitic(excuse the spelling) gamepads.

Old Post 08-14-02 06:12 #
Dysfunctional is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB

Please elaborate.

Old Post 08-14-02 06:20 #
Lost Soul
I appear at random

IMHO, the BEST PC gamepad is the Gravis Gamepad Pro. It looks feels and PLAYS EXACTLY like a PSX controller. Nothing beats it for Doom control for me. Silverwyvern has the exact same sentiments about this, so there's 2 big reccomendations right there. Look for it! I find it much more comfortable then the Microsoft Sidewinder by a longshot.

Old Post 08-14-02 11:36 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB

Thanks for the tip, but exactly like a PS1 controller? I thought it only has a digital pad, not analog. Doesn't the PS1 controller have an analog stick? Er, nuts.

Old Post 08-14-02 21:38 #
Lost Soul
I appear at random

True. In this case, it is more or less exactly like one of the earlier PSX controllers. Before they got analog and dual shock. Look in the Castlevania SOTN manual, there's a pic of the type I'm talking about. Or any of the early PSX games for that matter, but my bad in not mentioning that detail. the gamepad does come with an optional analog stick, however. It goes in the middle of the D-pad.. making the controller kinda awkward. So.. yea. It's got analog suppourt, but it's not too good. Just stick with the D-pad, you'll do just fine! :)

Old Post 08-14-02 21:49 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dysfunctional
Loser

Please ignore the last posy from me for it was my younger brothers handywork.

Old Post 08-19-02 08:13 #
elbryan42
Your Friendly Neighborhood Cacodemon

The best controller for the PC? A PSX Dual Shock controller:

http://www.ncix.com/canada/productdetail.php?sku=6362

Get it now. PSX controllers are super durable (compared to crappy PC ones) there's tons of buttons, 2 sticks, and has the best setup and d-pad.

Your Nightmare is on the horizon. The Absolution is coming...

Old Post 08-19-02 14:34 #
elbryan42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darkstalker
Should be mapping

There's a USB convertor to let you play with your PS control pad,
http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/pro...89e0597810623f9
I'm about to buy it for my ddr pad :)

Old Post 08-19-02 14:58 #
Darkstalker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
elbryan42
Your Friendly Neighborhood Cacodemon

Um, I just pointed to a converter myself.

Your Nightmare is on the horizon. The Absolution is coming...

Old Post 08-19-02 15:05 #
elbryan42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darkstalker
Should be mapping

Well me too, having more than one choice can only be better :)

Stepmania readme:
The primary advantage of these adaptors is that they do not
require special drivers and require no configuring.

Old Post 08-19-02 15:13 #
Darkstalker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB

Hmm, so I'd have to buy a controller AND a convertor. And it has XP issues. I'll put it in the "maybe" pile. Thanks.

Old Post 08-19-02 15:34 #
fodders
OWNS YOU

Guilemot firestorm works with ZSNES, Callus, FCE Ultra, Gens, MAME emulators.

You are my opponent, but not my enemy, for your resistance gives me strength. Your will gives me courage. Your spirit ennobles me. And, although I aim to defeat you, should I succeed, I will not humiliate you, instead I will honour you..For without you, I am a lesser man.

Old Post 08-19-02 16:07 #
fodders is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AndrewB

Sweet. But what I really wonder is.. Can I use like 2-4 of these things on multiple USB ports for multiplayer emulation?

Old Post 08-19-02 18:01 #