Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Useless Knowledge, Pt. 27138

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:11. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fredrik

If my (Julian's, rather) calculations are correct, then...

... the mean RGB value of DOOM:
http://www.doomworld.com/fredrik/img/misc/doom.png

... the mean RGB value of QUAKE:
http://www.doomworld.com/fredrik/img/misc/quake.png

Old Post 08-16-02 16:05 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Julian

I am not Fred's bf.

Old Post 08-16-02 16:13 #
Julian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

You solve program code bug.

Old Post 08-16-02 16:14 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

What about Quake 2? Something orange, presumably?

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 08-16-02 18:20 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

NiGHTMARE said:
What about Quake 2? Something orange, presumably?
The output was a low-saturated shade of blue. Which seems odd. I'm not sure if the program works properly. That's why I added "(Julian's, rather)", so I can blame him if it really is wrong :P

Old Post 08-16-02 19:02 #
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Heh, I thought Julian edited that to take back some of the credit your ego tried to steal :P

Old Post 08-17-02 03:04 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Livo

The main RGB values of Doom and Quake are red Xs? Wow, I would have never guessed that :p

Old Post 08-17-02 03:39 #
Livo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

The Quake one doesn't surprise me ;)

Old Post 08-17-02 09:37 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Linguica

This is where you tell us how this was calculated.

Did you take into account every level and thing placed in every level, the colors of all the flats and textures and sprites, and the changes of the colors due to light level of the sector it is in? How did you determine how much the sky should count? What about sectors with changing light levels? Does each frame of an animated texture count for a fraction of that texture?

Old Post 08-17-02 09:43 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

Linguica said:
This is where you tell us how this was calculated.

Did you take into account every level and thing placed in every level, the colors of all the flats and textures and sprites, and the changes of the colors due to light level of the sector it is in? How did you determine how much the sky should count? What about sectors with changing light levels? Does each frame of an animated texture count for a fraction of that texture?

No. I used a complex superstring transformation algorithm to calculate the exact state of the entire universe with infinite precision over all time, and derived the fraction of it that makes up the binary representations of the particular computer game called DOOM that have occurred in computer systems on Earth, from which position I could easily sort out the screen data, add and divide, thus getting an exact RGB value, which I just had to round off to an integer value and subtract by two due to a factoring error I later discovered in the original configuration parameters for the program.

Old Post 08-17-02 11:24 #
Julian

Fredrik said:
subtract by two due to a factoring error I later discovered in the original configuration parameters for the program.

*WE* later discovered... should I say *I*? :P
Anyway, this is mainly due to the Josephson effect. And to be precise, we subtract 2/3(PI) BEFORE converting to int for obvious reasons (ever heard of the Doppler or cosmological effect?).

Old Post 08-17-02 11:44 #
Julian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

To be exact, you should take the number of occurrences of each texture, find the number of occurrences of each patch from this, then find the mean colour value biased by the number of times colours are actually used in the game, rather than just averaging the palette which is presumably what you did.

Old Post 08-17-02 13:25 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

To be exact, you'd even have to consider the area of each wall, light levels, visibility, proximity to the main path through the level etc etc.

Old Post 08-17-02 15:35 #
pritch
Super Moderator

Fredrik said:
No. I used a complex superstring transformation algorithm to calculate the exact state of the entire universe with infinite precision over all time, and derived the fraction of it that makes up the binary representations of the particular computer game called DOOM that have occurred in computer systems on Earth, from which position I could easily sort out the screen data, add and divide, thus getting an exact RGB value, which I just had to round off to an integer value and subtract by two due to a factoring error I later discovered in the original configuration parameters for the program.

You forgot to add 1. :)

Old Post 08-17-02 16:00 #
pritch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

heh nice avatar

Old Post 08-17-02 20:25 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
desolatordave
Loser

So you just averaged the palet, right?

Old Post 08-18-02 03:13 #
desolatordave is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

desolatordave said:
So you just averaged the palet, right?
Yes, that's one way to interpret it.

Old Post 08-18-02 10:13 #
Insomniak
Doesn't Sleep!

Guess who has enough time to do that and must be unemployed!

Old Post 08-18-02 12:14 #
Insomniak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

Fredrik said:

NO?!?!?!

AHHHHHHHHHHH

This is some useless knowledge you know...well, I already knew Quake was brown.

Old Post 08-19-02 12:57 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GS-1719
Illuminated

Fredrik said:

So much needless verbal diarrhea.

Old Post 08-19-02 13:03 #
GS-1719 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

Pfft.

Old Post 08-19-02 13:14 #