Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > Duke 3d hates XP

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:34. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lost Soul
I appear at random

I'm trying to run the Duke Nukem Kill-a-ton collection, and can;t run Duke3d from it. IT just won;t open at ALL. Perhaps it's a winXP thing? Cause the sounds were treated the same way they are when you try to run Doom wiuthout a sourceport on XP. the game loads.. then dies before it reaches the title screen. Little help??

Old Post 08-17-02 23:35 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

there's a windows port somewhere.

Old Post 08-17-02 23:37 #
BlackFish is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Skatepunk60
Mini-Member

My duke 3d runs on XP perfectly .. i just have plain old duke 3d though not the atomic edition. Im not sure what the kill a thon was.

Old Post 08-17-02 23:41 #
Skatepunk60 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lost Soul
I appear at random

Kill-a-ton was.. everything. Duke 1-3D, the Plutonium pack, Duke it out in DC, shitpiles of Duke levels on top of that. And desktop themes etc,etc.

Old Post 08-18-02 00:47 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
CyRaptor
Keyboarder Extraordinaire

I'm having the same problem... I think if you want to run DOS games in XP you have to make a shortcut on the desktop, then edit something, but I can't remember what it is. Does anybody know?

Old Post 08-18-02 00:56 #
CyRaptor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Skatepunk60
Mini-Member

goto setup.exe then choose sound fx card choose soundblaster then change interupt then change the IRQ .. IRQ5 makes it work on mine id go with that first then if that doesnt work , try the others

Old Post 08-18-02 01:07 #
Skatepunk60 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
CyRaptor
Keyboarder Extraordinaire

Okay, I just did a bit of Googling and found out that it should work if you run it from the command prompt instead of opening the .exe on its own. However it will not work under VESA or IPX modes. Sound may or may not work, it depends on your sound card. Chances are the newer it is the less likely it's going to work. Choosing Sound Blaster in Setup is indeed your best bet.

I've tried this and it runs fine, but the SFX are a bit choppy. I dunno how well (if it all) the reverb will work under XP, though

Old Post 08-18-02 01:42 #
CyRaptor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
AndrewB
I would commit first degree murder and then fabricate evidence to make it look like self defense.

Duke3D produces that mysterious "atomic glow" error on my XP laptop. Same with the other Duke games, the Hugo games, and various other DOS games. Odd thing is, it doesn't lock up, ever. The sound plays, and the screen fades from a mysterious image to white. I think it has to do with a particular video mode.

Old Post 08-18-02 02:54 #
AndrewB is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Lost Soul
I appear at random

Hmm.. I don;t think it's going to be an issue much longer.. now winXP refuses to acknowledge ******** with this CD, and won;t go into setup, so I can't reinstall the goddamned thing. GRRRRRR!!!

Old Post 08-18-02 04:19 #
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

Duke3D never even ran on my PC until I tried that command prompt thingo.

Still doesn't :P

Old Post 08-19-02 12:53 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote