Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Everything Else > MD2s vs Sprites
What's better?
This poll is closed.
MD2s 5 31.25%
Sprites 11 68.75%
Total: 16 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:28. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Read the thread title, dumbshoes.

Old Post 08-18-02 02:00 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Wtf? MD2s are older but certainly better than sprites.

Old Post 08-18-02 02:05 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

3d models all the way!

Old Post 08-18-02 02:26 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

every 3d model i've seen in Doom looks like ass. they just don't fit.

Old Post 08-18-02 02:55 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lost Soul
I appear at random

Mr. Chris said:
3d models all the way!

I'd like them. If they didn't look like ass, move like ass, act like ass, smell like ass..etc,etc...

Something about everything makes me not want to accept them. From the terrible looks to the insanely BAD animation. To the spider mastermind behaving like a pan of jiffy pop.

Old Post 08-18-02 03:08 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Livo

Depends on how good the model and the animations are. Ditto for sprites.

Old Post 08-18-02 03:24 #
Livo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CyRaptor
Keyboarder Extraordinaire

I'd much rather play Doom with models, but unfortunately most of the current ones look like ass (as many of you had pointed out). So until somebody makes some decent-looking models I'm stickin' with sprites.

Old Post 08-18-02 03:28 #
CyRaptor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
JavaGuy

I like models better, because it just gives them a more solid feel when you shoot them. And since the game isn't actually scary any more, I'm not worried that the models don't look super detailed and great. Actually, not all of them look that bad. The caco, for example, is as good as I'd hope for.

My mind is an empty shell. Other's thoughts enter, bouncing off the walls an' echo. Never thinking for myself or but for myself I think. So now I've left it all behind finished 'least with a good deed. A long road awaits, and I'm on my own.... I feel pretty good.

Old Post 08-18-02 07:23 #
JavaGuy is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darknation
Forum Staple

Spot the N00bs.

Old Post 08-18-02 12:50 #
darknation is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lost Soul
I appear at random

JavaGuy said:
I like models better, because it just gives them a more solid feel when you shoot them. And since the game isn't actually scary any more, I'm not worried that the models don't look super detailed and great. Actually, not all of them look that bad. The caco, for example, is as good as I'd hope for.

To me the models just....don't..'feel' right. ya know? Everything moves so badly they don't convince me that they are Doom monsters anymore, but rather Quake 1 with bad, not so brown skins. Doom may not be scary anymore to some, but others can be scared if they want to. Depends on how vivid you let your imagination be. I do on a regular basis, and it's fun ;). But for that you need to be CONVINCED. I can't do that with the models no matter how hard I try because both thier terrible looks (many don't even look like doom monsters to me) and HORRID animations, CANNOT convince me. The revenant from a distance looks kinda like a goth kid in football gear.

Old Post 08-18-02 13:58 #
Lost Soul is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

MD3's.

Old Post 08-18-02 14:19 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Silverwyvern
No will for you or anything else.

*******ely sprites. It's upsetting to shoot a 3d imp and watch it float to the floor.
The timing is all wrong.

Maybe if they were done better...

I think sprites will always be my favorite. They look good, they die good.

Sometimes 3D models look like someone made them, shoved a huge stick up their ass then made then walk around.

Old Post 08-18-02 14:34 #
Silverwyvern is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Sprites damnit!

Heh I use glboom (prboom GL) but have the textures set to "nearest" instead of "linear" - turns off the blurring. Everything looks almost identical to the software version but it runs a lot quicker. For some reason, I cant run in software at 640x400 at a decent speed. I like GL mode for the speed but dont like the flashy features most ports add.

Old Post 08-18-02 17:12 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

I have a sprite/MD2 mix at the moment for Jdoom.

Torched, Lamps, tech columns, floor weapons, items
= MD2s.

Monsters, Gore, Hanging corpses, HUD weapons
= Sprites.

think shadow warrior (and blood I think) It works nicely, but takes some fiddling around to get right. I'll probably never accept MD2 monsters. I keep them around for show

Jdoom is the only source I use any MD2s with. and I only use Jdoom with the Official wads (doom.wad doom2.wad tnt.wad plutona.wad). everything else is Zdoom, all sprites

Old Post 08-19-02 00:37 #
Captain Red is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

For Doom, sprites. In fact, most of my favorite games are sprite-reliant: Doom, Civilization, Sim City, Diablo, Fallout...

You know, even Civilization 3, a brand new game, has no 3d models save some rendered sprites and a few sparce movies, and it remains an awesome game.

Old Post 08-19-02 04:50 #
Danarchy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote