Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron-Of-Hell

Favourite Alien & Predator Movies

Which is your favourite out of these great movies?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite out of these great movies?

• Alien
    • Aliens
    • Alien 3
    • Alien Resurection
    • Predator
    • Predator 2

Well. Aliens is clearly the best of those movies. Followed by Alien. Predator clearly making the third place.

I can't decide between Alien³ and Alien: Ressurection though. I actually liked both. Neither is as good as the first two movies, of course, but I think none is bad.

Predator 2 is by far the worst. It's frankly one of the worst movies I've ever tortured my eyes with.

Alien 3 gets bashed by default these days, but the direction and art design in that movie is really top notch. It looks beautiful.

Alien by a long stretch. At first glance it may seem that the newer movies might be better cause of the more advanced effects, and when I first saw Aliens I thought it was better than Alien. But after seeing each more than once I noticed Alien has artistic qualities all those others lack. Alien is a true "cosmic horror" film which sets great moods and says a lot about the strangeness of existence, whereas the others are action films of varying quality. Plus the acting in Alien is so much more vibrant... the other movies have more standard, stylized characters. I do of course appreciate Aliens, its entertaining and a direct inspiration for DOOM, to boot. I wonder if the chaingun was thought up thinking about Predator. The Alien series goes downhill after Aliens, and Predator 2 wasn't bad but the 1st was better (and an OK movie).

Talking about Aliens, a similar movie that is in many respects similar (and in some better) is Starship Troopers... a neat and well-styled satire of wartime propaganda with great action.

Also, Event Horizon seems like a kind of remake of Alien, with an extra-spacial entity instead of a super-beast. It probably is, though both may be based loosely on H.P.Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" which also inspired The Thing From Another World and The Thing (a remake by J. Carpenter). That story is a must-read.

Fredrik said:

Predator 2 is by far the worst. It's frankly one of the worst movies I've ever tortured my eyes with.

Heh, was it really that bad? I can't remember it well... just the starting scene in the city where those (drug dealers?) get nailed by the predator, and then the black guy going against it.. but hardly any details.

I forgot to say I dislike the last Alien sequel, with that baby hybrid crap.. so sentimental and dumb (and pretentious, cause if it had a message it was a cheap one)... not to mention bringing back the dead Ripley (that reminds me of another lame sequel: the last of the Highlander series, was that #2?*)!

* Embarrassingly part of this shit was filmed in my country, heh.

with that baby hybrid crap.. so sentimental and dumb (and pretentious, cause if it had a message it was a cheap one)

Yeah, that's the movie's problems. Cinematically, it's well as good as any of the other movies in the series though.

myk said:
Also, Event Horizon seems like a kind of remake of Alien, with an extra-spacial entity instead of a super-beast.

Event Horizon is brilliant! One of the few movies that truly disturbs me. it's plot has one or two thing in common with dooms (science opens a gateway to hell).

Fox going to make an Aliens vs. Predator movie, and I think it's supposed to be directed by the Resident Evil director.

I haven't seen either of the Predator movies, but Aliens is my favorite Alien movie, followed by Alien, then Alien³ (I didn't think it was too bad). Resurrection sucked.

Alien - poo-yerself-scary and extremely claustrophobic.
Aliens - Trigger happy psychosis that also induces da shitz.
Alien3 - More claustrophobic than Alien, but more downbeat too. Underrated film.
Alien Res. - Nowhere near as good as the others, but still enjoyable (the aliens remind me too much of dinosaurs in this one).

Predator - Pure brilliance - bring back Arnie!
Predator 2 - Not as good as P1, but still pretty good, if only for the Alien skull on the Pred's ship.

Fredrik said:

Well. Aliens is clearly the best of those movies. Followed by Alien. Predator clearly making the third place.

Ditto. Aliens has way to many memorable scenes in it for it not to be best, but Alien was damn good.

I know this is kinda off his thread's subject but, when I first found out that Doom was actually gonna be based on the Aliens movie instead I was really surprised! I have downloaded the Aliens coversion for the Ultimate Doom, Episode 2 and I thought it was excellent! There were a few problems with it though and you have to use clipping mode to get through some halways in the nest, and the boss is a Cyberdemon instead of the Queen Alien... If you haven't played this converion you then you should download it because it is definately worth a good look! I downloaded it from the MJ Doom Page, I don't think this page has been updated for a long time though...

Aliens is actually my all time favorite movie. Alien comes in second, followed by Predator. Unlike many, I really enjoyed Alien3 but absolutely hated Alien Ressurection becuase the behavior of the creatures was modified (suddenly they had emotions).

Talking about Aliens, a similar movie that is in many respects similar (and in some better) is Starship Troopers... a neat and well-styled satire of wartime propaganda with great action.

I really liked the CGI for this one but the story progression bored me to tears. Too much time spent on character development IMO.

Baron-Of-Hell said:

I have downloaded the Aliens coversion for the Ultimate Doom, Episode 2 and I thought it was excellent! There were a few problems with it though and you have to use clipping mode to get through some halways in the nest, and the boss is a Cyberdemon instead of the Queen Alien...

It sounds like something had gone wrong to me - there should be an alien queen, and cheat codes shouldn't be required (in fact, the version I played years ago had the cheat codes disabled). Were you getting any alien monsters, or were they all Doom monsters? What was your weapon 1 (fists or power loader)? Did you use the .deh file, and were you using an executable that accepted them directly?

Aliens, followed by Alien resurrection, Alien and Alien3.
I think the main reason for Alien being third and not first or second is because I only saw it after I`d seen Aliens and Alien3.

Question:
In Alien they go on board and "alien"-ship (where the find the eggs and the face-hugger). On this ship they also find a dead humanoid (sorta grown to his chair in a HR Giger way). What is it? Is it a Predator? I do recall it had "jaws" like a Pred. Maybe someone knows or has a tape/dvd and can find out?...

No, it's an entirely different species alltogether, though for some reason the AvP series used their ships as alien ships. I always thought it was a different species though. I mean, they find it after getting a distress signal from its ship and it's chest was exploded from a chest burster, so I don't think it was helping the aliens or part of their hive.

According to the Alien comics, the creature in the chair was part of a race reffered to as the "Space Jockeys" which thrived long before humans existed. Much like the humans now, their technology and dominance over the universe advanced more quickly than their ability to be responsible with such power, and so the universe called the Aliens down upon them as punishment (depending on which comics you read).

m0l0t0v said:

Question:
In Alien they go on board and "alien"-ship (where the find the eggs and the face-hugger). On this ship they also find a dead humanoid (sorta grown to his chair in a HR Giger way). What is it? Is it a Predator? I do recall it had "jaws" like a Pred. Maybe someone knows or has a tape/dvd and can find out?...

Nothing like a Pred'.

For more of an idea as to what these creatures are all about, read the 'Earth Hive' trilogy of Aliens books (Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, Female War).
You'll read a bit about the 'elephant-like aliens' - the alien navigator with the chestburster hole in 'Alien' is of this species.

Actualy, that 'Space Jockey' is one of the reasons that Alien was so cool. I mean, finding a dead intelligent alien is cool and creepy all at once. Not to mention how he was kind of built into his ship...sehr kuhl.

The actual theory behind RIdley Scott's Alien was that these creatures were being used by the space-jockey's as the ultimate biological weapon. The ships would fly across the universe and seed the enemy's planet with fachugger eggs. Aliens would hatch, mature and continue their life cycle by turning cacooned men into eggs (see the deleted scene on the Alien DVD where Ripley fins Dallas and Brett cacooned to the wall). The fully grown adult Alien has a very short life span (a few days or so) and dies quite quickly, but only after killing everything on the fucking planet.

When the space jocky's return they collect the eggs that are left (the adult aliens having died off), restock their ship and fly off.

I thought this was a much more interesting story than James Cameron's insect hive.