Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMER103

Doom books

How much do you want for my copies?

These books are so bad, that we refuse to speak of them.

Eh, why pay when urinating on them and then lighting them on fire is far, far cheaper?

Vulg@r said:

Eh, why pay when urinating on them and then lighting them on fire is far, far cheaper?

Because that might not totally eradicate every occurrence of the word "Flynn".

Some things cannot be removed from our mind...ever. Like the impsecxe. Not even Borax and a steel wool scouring pad will get that out of our brain. : /

Vulg@r said:

You are forgeting to wipe your ass with them. After puting them out.

How true (Pritch's image)

*wipes ass with Ian McEwan book*

I should really stop looking for those books now, judging by everyone's view on it.

Yes the Doom novels are quite bad, but that doesnt mean they should be destroyed. Im kind of glad they were so awful.

Vulg@r said:

Damn, what have you been drinking to make your piss so flamable?

On topic, I saw a doom book in a game shop once. I looked at it, thought nah! and walked away.

Bah, yet another n00b topic on the dreaded, hated, unhallowed, unholy Doom Books. (Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnn).
/me cowers in ph33r

It's not this thread that stinks. The books do stink, however, and the mere mention of the name Flynn Taggart is like showing a crucifix to a vampire. Just because this thread is about the books does not make it bad, although sometimes it may seem that way.

I happen to like Knee-Deep in the Dead.

The rest suck beyond anyone's conrol. But Knee-Deep in the Dead atleast followed the game.

Melfice Darkmage said:

I happen to like Knee-Deep in the Dead.

The rest suck beyond anyone's conrol. But Knee-Deep in the Dead atleast followed the game.

That book is the only one that didnt make me want to throw up.

Enjay said:

On topic, I saw a doom book in a game shop once. I looked at it, thought nah! and walked away.

Dude I wish I was more like you. Felt like I got raped after I read them.

Hallelujah, sweet Mary and Jesus! (One of Fly's favorite lines in those "wonderful" books).

I thought that 75% of this forum loved the novels - last time someone posted a thread about 'em, about half a squillion people stood up for the novels and defended them. Guess people like to change their opinions here :-P

dsm said:

I thought that 75% of this forum loved the novels - last time someone posted a thread about 'em, about half a squillion people stood up for the novels and defended them. Guess people like to change their opinions here :-P

I don't mind book 1 and 2, they're readable. I also defend Flynn as a name. It's fine. They came up with it. Everyone has a personal Doomguy, they simply got their Doomguy published.

I can tell I'm going to get flamed for this, but I liked the books. It's not like there was a whole lot of story for them to follow anyway. Maybe some of you haven't noticed, but Doom is rather dry in the story department. They were building on practically nothing, and who cares if the last books got away from the game? I thought they were still a good read.

If you think the books were good or that Doom had no real story, try reading dsm's or Spike's interpretations in the Fan Pics / Fan Fics forum.

I would like to observe that most of the comments about how these novels should be erased from existence are based on the angry retaliation of some degenerate that can't figure out what the fuck was going on, cause they can get kind of confusing to the weak-minded once you get past Hell On Earth.

I do grant that the further you read, the less it feels like Doom, but just cause ur a dumb-fuck doesn't mean they suck... apart from not deserving to wear "Doom" on their covers, they're really good sci-fi, but they just aren't Doom, except for the first one.

Let the flaming begin.

I read the first one; it was the typical mass-market cliche encrusted crap. The story was stupid, with retarded explanations for DOOM phenomena and generally insipid writing skills. I would obviously not want to waste any more energy reading the others, not to mention paying for them, especially when there's too much good stuff to read for one lifetime. I'm not sure the the fan fics here are much better, but a few of the things I read might be somewhat so.

The_Aeromaster said:

I would like to observe that most of the comments about how these novels should be erased from existence are based on the angry retaliation of some degenerate that can't figure out what the fuck was going on, cause they can get kind of confusing to the weak-minded once you get past Hell On Earth.

I do grant that the further you read, the less it feels like Doom, but just cause ur a dumb-fuck doesn't mean they suck... apart from not deserving to wear "Doom" on their covers, they're really good sci-fi, but they just aren't Doom, except for the first one.

Let the flaming begin.

I'm struggling my way through all four books - I'm at book three now. When I've read all four, I'm gonna post my review of them (and I'll try and make it a serious one).
Yes, the Doom novels have quite a story to them - problem is that it's a little too far off for my taste and an already cheesy story becomes even more ridiculous and cheesy when it goes over to the last bit (the last two - haven't read the fourth yet so it might redeen itself a little, but I doubt it). Why I really hate the Doom novels (and after reading the first two and part of the third, my hatred towards them has only strenghtened), is because it's full of imo lame ideas like talking demons (which are really alien monsters sent by some fucked-up-on-crack aliens called Freds) and demons that can use devices - I also despise the idea of normal humans betraying the entire human race just to save their own asses.

myk said:

I read the first one; it was the typical mass-market cliche encrusted crap. The story was stupid, with retarded explanations for DOOM phenomena and generally insipid writing skills. I would obviously not want to waste any more energy reading the others, not to mention paying for them, especially when there's too much good stuff to read for one lifetime.

My sentiments excactly

I have only read the first book (now that the other 3 have been put up, I can read those too,). I must admit, it was exceptionally cheesy, cliche, and badly written... JUST LIKE DooM (Im gonna get yelled at for that one). I expected it to be that way when I first picked it up, and Im glad it was. It was just as over the-the-top as the game it was based on. I wasnt looking for some earth shattering epic, I just wanted to remenisce (sp?) about the game and see how someone else could handle the story. Much like Slipknot, you must avoid taking it seriously in order to enjoy it.

As soon as I came across the names Sears and Roebuck, I knew they'd lost the plot...

I think it's absolute stupidity to bitch about the books. The story written in the books gave Doom a further purpose besides the somewhat sensless shoot-up game it came from. Yes, I love Doom, but without a story you're just going through levels with textures and monsters sohtting things for no reason whatsoever except you know you need to beat the game so you can put your little pee-brain's focus on another game to beat. I also agree with DSM that the reason people don't like the books is because they're too much of dumb-fucks to understand whats going on.

I'd say one of the things the Doom books did that I liked most was the addition of PFC Arlene Sanders. Part of the reason I liked the first book was because he not only had to fight his way through hell to report to Earth (or what was left at the time this all began), but he also had something that mattered just as much besides the cleche of "save the earth before it's too late," that have been presented in so many sci-fi stories.

Knee-Deep In the Dead: Nice plot, I really liked it. It had a back story to explain why Fly was stuck on Phobos base in a rec-hall, and there was more to it, as I just explained, besides shooting at everything in sight. It followed the games to a T, and personally it's been my favorite book I've ever read.

Hell on Earth: The way they got back to Earth entertained me to say the least. I didn't necissarily like the whole thing with mormons and crap in it, it somewhat took away from the story. The Albert character kinda annoyed me in the book, until much later. The end absolutelymade me laugh tough, I loved the parts with the Revenant and the Arch Vile in the bookd, too.

Infernal Sky: This is where it started losing the feel of Doom. They (Arlene, Fly, Jill a 13 yr. old girl, that didn't help that book any, and Albert, and some Seargant) went back to Phobos (where you see one Pain Elemental out of all the books, and it did some psychadelic trick with the space around it), and they discover Sears and Robuck (lmao), and find out that these demons aren't demons at all, just aliens from another planet, which they'd taken over, which means they never even went to hell, which throws the hole point of the other two books with the crosses and pentegrams and shit out the window, and they decide to travel to a world that says it will help them defeat the "aliens."

End Game: I've read it 5 times and still don't understand it. They are captured by humanoid Apes, which are evil because they're controlled by a microscopic oganism that controls their minds, and the only way they can be killed is by "faith." They at some point in the book are experimented on, and fall asleep, and wake up at the beginning. Through reasoning (and Fly realizeing it's an illusion) he gets the Demons on Phobos (some Zombies, 2 Imps, and a Cacodemon) to become his allies. They eventually get back out. The rest is far too confusing for me to tell you what happened. This book wasn't too bad, it's just that it shouldn't have been called "Doom." It shoulda been in a totally different series of books.