Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaJuice

Tree model

Hey all. The tree model is finished, still needs textures and displacement (for the spikes and such). If anyone wants the model, idunno, maybe for JDoom or something, I'll put it up. Let me know what you think.

I'd venture a guess he's using Houdini, since it's in big letters in the corner.

Long as the texturing is nice and grainy, you can't go wrong. :D

Did you finish that plasma rifle one you were doing?

Danke schön:)
No Ultra, haven't touched the PR:(
Ya, it's Houdini, that thing is a watermark from the software.

Thats amazing, it basically IS the tree from the original sprite. I dunno how you get your models so close to the originals given how blocky they are.

similar minds think alike, beleave it or not but I though about sculpting myself one of them tree's. Looks like a twisted bonsai. can't wait to see it textured. What happend to the barron? and will we see an imp soon? I'm almost done mine. So then we can have an impathon :)

Thx guys. Shapeless, I bet the original artwork was based on a bonsai tree. You should do one in clay, that would be cool.
I did actually model some imp legs, looks pretty good too:) But it's all so much fukn work, I don't know what I will finish and what I won't. I really need to put together a new reel and I can't be working on this stuff forever. So right now I'm just trying to get the important stuff finished. I got the Baron, textured, rigged, ready to go for some animation (minus some work on his fireballs), I have an environment modeled, but it still needs textures, plus fx (clouds, smoke, etc). I wasn't happy with my doomguy at all, so maybe I'll just do the whole animation in first person:P Idunno...

Well, here's a turnaround of the tree, divx5.0.3/6sec/570kb. Right Click>Save Target
http://www.geocities.com/stehrani3d/gallery/ogl_tree.avi
And like I said, if anyone wants the model, it's yours.

ohhh, 500 posts. ringadingding

DaJuice said:

And like I said, if anyone wants the model, it's yours.

Hey, I'll take a look at it if your offering. I'll see if I can simplify it for jDoom without making it look an angular mess. Can you export it to 3ds format?

Is there some sort of hard-wired limit to how many polys the models can be in JDoom?
1000 triangles...good luck:)

Nah, not really, just 1000 seems to be a nice round number. I suppose 2 or even 3 thousand would be okay, you dont often see 50 of theses trees on one screen.

Ok, it is pretty much done now. Some parts of the texture may still need adjusting, I'm not sure.

Sorry about the file size, I didn't want it to have bad compression.

That is some kind of awesome...

I've been thinking of ways to scale it down, I think what I'll try and do is just use it as a guide and create a new, lo poly model over it. That should be pretty easy (but really boring)

Better than feeding it into a clumsy optimisation program at least.

There's already a talented enough person working on the model pack: DaniJ. You'll just have to be patient while he's working on the new models. Let DaJuice just carry on with what he wants to do.

Thanks for the nice comments guys:)
I think I saw some of DaniJ's work in the voxel thread over in the Editing section. The work-in-progress Imp right? It looked very impressive indeed. I really have no experience making game models, and getting the most "polys per buck" is a skill in itself. By the way, does this tree have any special name? I want to post it elsewhere, but I don't want to label the topic "Tree", nobody will look at it:P

oh yeah, make sure to post up the low poly tree once it's finished chilvence:)

By the way, does this tree have any special name? I want to post it elsewhere, but I don't want to label the topic "Tree", nobody will look at it:P

"Big tree out of DooM"

Be sure to say "out of", if its "Big tree of doom" people will assume youre as intelligent as the mould at the back of a paticularly nasty fridge

How about "Giant Twisted Mutant Bonsai.... OF DOOM!"

Then you just have to look, you know?

DaJuice said:

Sorry about the file size, I didn't want it to have bad compression.

If you meant the image, then as long as it's no more than 100kb then it's OK. Any bigger and it'll have to be a link to the pic (no loss there :)).

Other than that those textures look quite nice, though perhaps they make the wooden tree look plastic. Good work.