Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Fan Fics / Fan Pics > Charlie Brown in College

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:11. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Impie

No idea how many Charlie Brown lovers there are on this forum, but I'll post my cartoon gallery here anyway.

http://applebetty.deviantart.com/ga...rown-in-college

They're listed in reverse order, so start with the last one and work your way up. Hope they produce a few laughs.

Old Post 07-02-09 12:32 #
Impie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheeXile
Haha owned

I liked #5 and #7. Not sure I care for the heavy emphasis on the dating game, though.

Old Post 07-02-09 12:51 #
TheeXile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Impie

That was just for the story arc I concluded today, so don't worry.

Here's a few character portraits I did for the project:

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs46/300W/f/2009/186/d/1/Chuck_and_Patty_2_by_AppleBetty.jpg

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs46/300W/f/2009/181/0/a/0a01601026372684c272a1dd3782dbb1.jpg

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs47/300W/i/2009/180/7/9/Violet_Gray_by_AppleBetty.jpg

Old Post 07-05-09 10:10 #
Impie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

Interesting concept. It makes me think that contemporary appropriation of comic characters has come full circle. The first impulse is to take existing art and fill the voice bubbles with profanity, but we've moved past that. Then, the urge is still to parody the original work, but more subtly, with dialogue of deprecating or existential nature. Other sorts of twists pass through public consciousness: the strips are combined with pop culture in various ways, they are randomly rearranged so that one may read them as one reads tea leaves. But now, we have at least one artist who has moved past all of that, seen the folly of youthful rebellion and recognized the grace of the original format. We have an artist who merely wishes to continue the story of Charlie Brown and Friends, in a style and level of quality not unlike the original vignettes.

Neat.

Old Post 07-05-09 15:37 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Staple

Creaphis said:
Interesting concept. It makes me think that contemporary appropriation of comic characters has come full circle. The first impulse is to take existing art and fill the voice bubbles with profanity, but we've moved past that. Then, the urge is still to parody the original work, but more subtly, with dialogue of deprecating or existential nature. Other sorts of twists pass through public consciousness: the strips are combined with pop culture in various ways, they are randomly rearranged so that one may read them as one reads tea leaves. But now, we have at least one artist who has moved past all of that, seen the folly of youthful rebellion and recognized the grace of the original format. We have an artist who merely wishes to continue the story of Charlie Brown and Friends, in a style and level of quality not unlike the original vignettes.

Neat.

Yes.

Except if only it was something more original than a college comic, which seems to be the setting for half of the web comics out there. :(

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but at least college (or high school) is the setting for every other amateur web comic, and most webcomics are amateur comics, so it's close enough.

Old Post 07-05-09 17:02 #
Jodwin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrick
someone employed to clean and maintain a building

Ok. as an avid peanuts lover, I don't quite know what to think of this. Charles M Shultz never had his characters age or "grow up" for a reason.

Last edited by Patrick on 07-05-09 at 20:20

Old Post 07-05-09 17:33 #
Patrick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

I like it. Even though I've seen stuff like this before I'm still interested to see what happens.

Old Post 07-05-09 18:37 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Impie

Thanks for the comments, y'all. And cool speech, Creaphis!

Half the webcomics on the 'net are probably set in college because most of the authors are in college (and probably most of the readers, too). And I didn't wanna touch a high school setting with a ten foot pole. I'll leave that to the thousands of artists who're trying to make Charlie Brown into anime.

Patrick, it's not canon, so don't worry about it. It's just for fun.

Old Post 07-06-09 03:37 #
Snarboo

I like the idea a lot. I can't say much about the execution of the idea because I haven't read any of your comics yet, but I like the style already. :)

Old Post 07-06-09 05:39 #
Snarboo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Impie

We're coming around the last handful of strips. Then I'm ending the project to start an original one (the Charlie Brown thing is just practice for a real webcomic).

Old Post 07-10-09 11:20 #
MmM
BoP

It's definitely an intrigueing concept, and part of me definitely gets a kick out of seeing the Peanuts cast all grown up.

Old Post 07-10-09 15:44 #
MmM is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lizardcommando
I'm a good person because I like dogs

This is really interesting. I like it. I'm glad you chose the college setting instead of the high school setting. I actually wouldn't mind seeing this become a full-fledged webcomic series.

Old Post 07-22-09 07:50 #
Lizardcommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Impie

I'd totally do it if there was a steady paycheck in it. I try not to spend too much time on fan stuff, even if I really enjoy it.

Old Post 07-22-09 08:06 #
Use3D
Forum Legend

Impie said:
(the Charlie Brown thing is just practice for a real webcomic).

Whew, good. I don't care for this fanfiction type stuff where people may have some decent stories but don't even use their own creations. On that note, your artwork for this series is cool.

Old Post 07-22-09 15:36 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Impie

Use3D said:

I don't care for this fanfiction type stuff where people may have some decent stories but don't even use their own creations.

Yeah, I think fanfiction/fanart should be practice if anything. I almost did a graphic novel of Splatterhouse last year: it had some great stuff in it, but it's an awful lot of work for something that isn't all mine.

Gawd, I had intended to do only one cartoon strip for fun. Now I'm up to 28! But I couldn't have come up with that many if it'd hadn't had the Charlie Brown angle.

Old Post 07-22-09 23:50 #
Impie

I've capped the project at 29 strips. Moving on to bigger and better things.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs46/300W/i/2009/205/8/2/Charlie_Browns_by_AppleBetty.jpg

Last edited by Impie on 07-25-09 at 07:57

Old Post 07-25-09 01:57 #