Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Fan Fics / Fan Pics > Comparison of Doom graphics to Modern Graphics
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:59. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
doomguy93

Note: I didn't make this. I found it off the internet somewhere.

http://imageshack.com/a/img547/2052/z2bg.jpg

Old Post 12-04-13 18:34 #
doomguy93 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Spammer

To be fair, some of the Call of Duty games were aesthetically pretty ugly.

Old Post 12-04-13 19:23 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
doomguy93

Clonehunter said:
To be fair, some of the Call of Duty games were aesthetically pretty ugly.

Yeah but for the most part, Call of Duty's gameplay was pretty solid.

Old Post 12-04-13 19:57 #
doomguy93 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

I don't get it.

Old Post 12-04-13 20:28 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
doomguy93

Krispy said:
I don't get it.

It's just a joke regarding the way modern gamers heavily emphasize the importance of graphics.

Old Post 12-04-13 20:33 #
Phml
Forum Spammer

Modern gamers? Doom's success was largely due to its graphics, groundbreaking at the time.

So the joke falls short; but the picture is funny despite itself. That Doom screenshot looks colorful, clean and pleasing to the eye. That COD (?) screenshot is all drab, full of noise, washed out. Another thing that hasn't changed in twenty years: most gamers have no taste and will rely on the tech used and the tech alone to make up their opinion. Moar pixels = better graphix!!!

Old Post 12-05-13 22:47 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Doom is ethereal, in my eyes it doesn't age at all

Old Post 12-07-13 09:58 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
doomguy93

Waffenak said:
Doom is ethereal, in my eyes it doesn't age at all

It's like a fine wine, only gets better with age.

Old Post 12-07-13 10:24 #
Crasger

Heh, even in 2013 Doom's graphics amaze me.
CoD was always the colorless war-game with the over-used engine.

Old Post 12-07-13 11:27 #
Crasger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Crasger said:
over-used engine.

Which can traced back to the Quake engine, sadly.

Old Post 12-07-13 11:50 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Polygon graphics tend to age badly compared to finely detailed pixel art which seems to look good in games whenever you revisit them.

Old Post 12-08-13 19:08 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joe667

doomguy93 said:

It's just a joke regarding the way modern gamers heavily emphasize the importance of graphics.

By "modern gamers" do you mean this generation of children? Because I'm 12, believe it or not. :)

Old Post 12-17-13 18:52 #
Joe667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joe667

Waffenak said:
Polygon graphics tend to age badly compared to finely detailed pixel art which seems to look good in games whenever you revisit them.

Even more so because they came from talented artists such as Adrian Carmack.

Last edited by Joe667 on 12-20-13 at 22:35

Old Post 12-17-13 18:54 #
Joe667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat
Forum Regular

John Carmack is not an artist.

Waffenak said:

If you're talking about Doom graphics, it's not pixel art. And I wouldn't say it aged brilliantly. Not all of it, anyway.

Old Post 12-17-13 19:42 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

Da Werecat said:

Depends on your definition of art.

And yeah, that image is stupid. Doom's graphics were incredible when it was released.

Old Post 12-17-13 22:42 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
doomguy93

Dragonsbrethren said:

Depends on your definition of art.

And yeah, that image is stupid. Doom's graphics were incredible when it was released.

Doom's graphics are still good because of it's simplicity.

Old Post 12-27-13 06:32 #
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Da Werecat said:

If you're talking about Doom graphics, it's not pixel art. And I wouldn't say it aged brilliantly. Not all of it, anyway.

Doom zombie soldiers are hand drawn and consist of pixels so it is pixel art but I was also speaking in general manner from games like castlevania and megaman series

Old Post 12-27-13 08:49 #
doomguy93

Waffenak said:

Doom zombie soldiers are hand drawn and consist of pixels so it is pixel art but I was also speaking in general manner from games like castlevania and megaman series

I think all the demons and zombie marines were clay models, not hand drawn.

Old Post 12-27-13 08:50 #
Waffenak
Forum Regular

As I know, there were only clay models of cyberdemon, baron of hell, doomguy, spider mastermind, mancubus, revenant and archvile and after models were finished they were digitally photographed and transferred to game with little polishing, everything else was hand drawn

Old Post 12-27-13 09:19 #
Waffenak
Forum Regular

doomguy93 said:

I think all the demons and zombie marines were clay models, not hand drawn.

As I know, there were only clay models of cyberdemon, baron of hell, doomguy, spider mastermind, mancubus, revenant and archvile and after models were finished they were digitally photographed and transferred to game with little polishing, everything else was hand drawn

Old Post 12-27-13 09:20 #
doomguy93

Waffenak said:

Then again, I could be mistaken. It is pretty impressive how they modeled the demons.

Old Post 12-27-13 09:21 #
Waffenak
Forum Regular

doomguy93 said:

Then again, I could be mistaken. It is pretty impressive how they modeled the demons.

It was indeed impressive and techniques were way ahead of their time. Still, there are many unsolved mysteries concerning this game and its making

Old Post 12-27-13 09:24 #
doomguy93

Waffenak said:

It was indeed impressive and techniques were way ahead of their time. Still, there are many unsolved mysteries concerning this game and its making

I would definitely like to research more on the making of Doom. There is probably so much more about the production that very few doom fans know about.

Old Post 12-27-13 09:40 #
Da Werecat
Forum Regular

Waffenak said:
hand drawn and consist of pixels so it is pixel art

Sorry, but it's not that simple.

Old Post 12-27-13 11:05 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jayextee
Darth Jrrr

It's largely photographic (from models or other sources) material touched up at the pixel level, including colourisation. This isn't, by definition, pixel art which is created from scratch at the pixel level.

It's safe to say that Da Werecat may be a bit of an authority on that, given his pixel art skills.

Old Post 12-27-13 11:18 #
Jayextee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Da Werecat said:

Sorry, but it's not that simple.

I even include personalized works as pixel art even if it isn't made from scratch. sampling is also work of art

Old Post 12-27-13 14:45 #
Da Werecat
Forum Regular

Actually, I'm not into pixel art. Most of the work is being done on a true color canvas, and then I palettize the result with minimal tweaks. When you make pixel art, you operate with a limited amount of colors from the beginning, taking every pixel into account.

Doom palette is too big and ineffective for pixel art anyway. It was assembled mostly to convert "photorealistic" assets with lots of browns.

Waffenak said:
personalized works

I'm sorry, what are you referring to, exactly?

Waffenak said:
sampling is also work of art

So?

Old Post 12-27-13 15:31 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

I hear Doom's palette was mostly unchanged from Deluxe Paint's default palette.

Old Post 12-27-13 15:50 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Da Werecat said:
Actually, I'm not into pixel art. Most of the work is being done on a true color canvas, and then I palettize the result with minimal tweaks. When you make pixel art, you operate with a limited amount of colors from the beginning, taking every pixel into account.

Doom palette is too big and ineffective for pixel art anyway. It was assembled mostly to convert "photorealistic" assets with lots of browns.

I'm sorry, what are you referring to, exactly?
->material touched up at the pixel level, including colourisation: as jayextree said

So?
->You claimed doom art that is hand drawn and made out of pixels isnt pixel art. Circle had closed.

Old Post 12-28-13 16:09 #
Jayextee
Darth Jrrr

Nah, I had it wrong. I thought Da Werecat did pixel art, and it does look amazing.

There is a difference between low-res art that is palette-ised and touched up than creating from scratch at the pixel level.

Old Post 12-28-13 17:16 #
Jayextee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote