Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bad Luck Ranger

Vultures in Hades; My fan fic.

Hi people, just thought I'd share the first part of my continuing fan fic set in the id universe. Before I start may I ask why am I only registered to make one post? How do I become a fully fledged member? I remember when I originally came here (hence why theres actually an avatar with my namesake) I became I member straight away? I suppose I need authorisation or something from the admin. I guess it stops people flaming or whatever. Anyway, my fan fic; Vultures in Hades shouldn't really be taken too seriously afterall it is based on a game that was inspired by Aliens and Evil Dead2. Personally any conflict of continuity between my fan fic and other peoples fan fic shouldn't be taken to heart. Anyway here's the first part and by the way I don't mind feedback.

Doom: Vultures of Hades.
Chapter One.

Pretty much everything had changed after the incident, as if everything had been erased from Earth's history. We were no longer humans but gypsies travelling to another world another place to live. It happened in a blink of an eye, one man remained to battle the alien hordes on Mars' moons of Phobos and Deimos but when the last spent pistol casing dropped to the floor in near perfect unison to the last of the demons that was only the beginning.
His name has been lost in time; over two generations have past along with so many wars. First it was the demons, then sinister dimensional pariahs it like a breath of fresh air when we went to battle against a truly alien race known as the Strogg. It was like a walk in the park compared to the last two threats.
We prevailed and now we're currently residing on Stroggos. The majority comports in poverty while the wealthier minorities live in glass Hab-Domes in luxury where cerebral numbing drugs allow them to endure a life of complete bliss while outside the "palace gates" the unfortunates are treated like vermin. Forced to endure a strict regime based on extreme taxation and curfew. The smartest sought to leave and to stake their fortune among the stars as Scavengers but even this was scrutinised by the ultra-conglomerate known as the Union Aerospace Corporation and so Scavengers were now labelled outlaws and deemed illegitimate.
Long before the demons and battles on Phobos and Deimos the UAC was one of Earth's leading consumer companies, they controlled everything from mining on Jupiter to children toys. They then started pumping funds into military research and cross-dimensional travel. They even coined the term; Slipgates. But something dreadfully wrong emerged from these portals, soon people started to die and a Great War was raged. Soon it was just one man on Earth battling for his people's right to flee the scarred planet though he prevailed the threat was still there albeit a small one. The demons lived like vultures in the wasteland and to make a long story short no body really took any notice. The majority of Earth's population had left in a great exodus leaving only a few million.
The silver dart etched across the night sky as it prepared to enter the Mars atmosphere. The Dreadnought class vessel must have been at least seventy years old, the ship was half a mile in size and fifty foot tall, this excludes the long eighty foot long "fangs" that belched from the bottom of the main section of the ship. In all it resembled an insect with two large sections one at the front and one at the back with a smaller adjoining section in the middle. These Scavengers were like family, five in total and that's excluding the maintenance Kleggs. Kleggs were cheap labour, small dog sized robots, they looked like small domes with two inverted chicken-like legs. Dawson; the ship's Sector Captain had them customary reprogrammed to have built in emotions he found that they worked more efficiently and if you were lucky you might be able to hold a nice possibly intelligent conversation with one. For Scavengers, Kleggs were common place and often used hence why they come in box of twenties. The five strong crew considered Kleggs not just as labourers but as companions unlike most ships whose crew would go through boxes of the things as if they were condoms.
Dawson was an aspiring military man, he had the knowledge and the determination but some where along the line he became a Scavenger and thus was no longer acceptable to qualify. He was of medium build and a typical Caucasian New Briton. Along with the rest of the crew he was a New Briton with the exception of the ship's cook who was a Neo American. His name was Browning a headstrong dark coloured man with a broad accent. McKintyre and McKinley had both known each other since they were young. McKinley was a young bourbon haired woman with great charisma while the brown-haired McKintyre always had his eye on Myers the ships pilot. The dark shorthaired women had no time for idiots and would often wittingly brush McKintyre off though she secretly enjoyed the attention. All were certified mechanics but they were all Jack of all trades. If a job needed doing they would do it even if they did do a "bodged" job! The atmosphere was rarely tense and like I said, they were like family.
Their plan was to enter Mars' atmosphere to save fuel. Send a bunch of Kleggs to some old pre-war research facility on Phobos and if the containment field was still operational then a Scavenge party would be sent. Myers and Dawson sat alone on the ship's bridge; Browning was making dinner while McKintyre and McKinley were calibrating the crews Rebreather Helmets. If the Kleggs report that reserve power is off line they might have to don full off world combat gear. The ship had one set of old Strogg War compound armour, the armour plating were moulded to allow maximum protection, the underlying suit was thin but high resistant. The plating could easily clip off and be replaced if damaged. McKintyre loved all the old war stuff but had never been given the chance to try it on. The vessel even had it's own Armoury since this particular class of ship had originally been used during the Strogg War. Dawson would spend a lot of his spare time in training room. Him and Browning would play a few rounds of Virtual Capture the Flag regularly. Near enough everyone was competent with a weapon it was compulsory at school but Dawson being Dawson would spend hours after hours pumping round after round in the training simulators honing his technique and skill. Dawson and Myers had finally received the report from the Kleggs; they had entered the Hanger without a problem via the air conditioning ducts. The containment field was also barely functional it seemed the Scavenged party was definitely going in. Browning also knew basic deep space medicine; this entailed compulsory deep space decontamination methods. He administered the Scavenge party anti-bodies. The party consisted of Dawson, McKinley and Browning himself. Myers stayed onboard along with McKintyre to report the progress. Someone had to stay onboard and they chose the short straws.
The two of them watched as the shuttle drifted away towards Phobos unaware that the intrepid trio was heading into the lion's den.

You become a member when you've made enough posts - you've already become a newbie I see.

As for the story: I can't say that it's totally true to Quake 1 and Quake 2, but I'll leave that be.
The story is decent I think, but watch your grammar and spelling ('no body' should be nobody - the former means that there is no corpse or something).

I wasn't aware that there was an actually set history between the id games. The only source I go on is written in the manual for QuakeIIIArena. Unfortunately with MSWord it isn't exactly the best proof reader but maybe I'll actually put my trust in myself to make sure everything is grammatically correct.
The history as I see it starts with Doom, after Doom2 your character (Doomguy) lands on Earth and blows some zombie away. By the end he had liberated humanity by enabling the survivors to flee in large space ships. If Doom and Quake are linked (in chronological order) then somewhere along the line humans returned to Earth in order to fight the forces of Quake and in QuakeII it is clearly noted that the Strogg attacked Earth. But is there an official time line?
Thanks for the feedback.
What does "dsm" stand for?

Well, from your story I got the impression that humanity flees Earth and STAYS in exile.
Both Quake 1 and Quake 2 gave me the impression that humanity was on Earth going on with their lives. I guess I just misunderstood something, so just ignore my criticism above.
(One day, I'm going to make my own version of the "History of the Extra Terrestial Wars", heh :-))
'dsm' is short for 'doomed spacemarine' (that's why I find my current avatar particularly fitting :-))

I did note that the majority fled Earth. It seems untangible for the whole of humanity to flee the demons so I made the assumption that the remnants were left to clean up the mess and thus be there for the attack by the forces of Quake. I have to admit I spotted a plot hole myself? If the humans left on Earth were attack by the Strogg later on then how come in my history did the humans colonise the Strogg homeworld their defeat?
If I did the maths then that would make three different strands of humans. One strand on Earth. One strand somewhere else in the galaxy and the last one on the Strogg homeworld??? Maybe I could explain that at some other time.
Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the second chapter. I've released it under a different topic heading.

The problem I have with that is that the intro of Quake 2 very much indicates that humanity is a wealthy civilisation on Earth (and not a bunch of huddling survivors).
In that intro, you hear tidbits of news broadcasts: you hear stuff like: Cities being devastated (there wouldn't be any major cities left if there were only a few survivors left on Earth), they have lost contact with the colony on Mars - seems like they've reestablished a colony on Mars. Why would they do that when the majority of the population flees Earth? You'd think that they'd be more concerned about getting Earth "up and running" again than reestablishing the outposts on Mars.

I remember reading in an official Quake2 FAQ that originally it was going to be called something different. The plan fell through and id kept with it's original working title.
Unfortunately this means that both Quake and Quake2 shouldn't really have any continuity between them. I've added continuity to flesh out my own story plus it helps me establish a sort've "a thousand light years from home"/isolated theme that I feel is an integral part of Doom itself. I wanted to add nostalgia and I also wanted to mirror how dated the game is now (not that it's a bad thing) but imagine if id did actually add E1M1 as the first level for the new Doom (if it's not a complete remake) it's almost everyone's favourite map though I wouldn't mind if say a small group of us collaborated on a basic 'set' history that other fan fiction authors like ourselve can choose to use as a reference.