Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > playable iwad

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:04. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

I got this working several weeks ago but never got round to properly announcing it. Anyway, freedoom now has a proper playable IWAD! You can use this to play doom without an original IWAD.

Obviously, we dont have all the material yet so it isnt complete. Missing sound effects are replaced with a short "beep" (actually, a recording of the linux console pc speaker beep), and missing graphics are replaced with empty images. But it is playable.

You can get the wad here

Old Post 10-30-02 14:44 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AirRaid
Graphics Zealot

Yay

Old Post 10-30-02 18:20 #
AirRaid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

When it is done, lets bug Quasar and Randy to make Freedoom.wad a reconized IWAD so you don't have to use -iwad or whatever.

Old Post 10-30-02 19:43 #
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

What's the deal with the Shareware IWAD as of now?

Old Post 10-31-02 02:18 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

Archvile64 said:
What's the deal with the Shareware IWAD as of now?
You can see the status of the shareware wad by looking at the build file for it. Everything in there which is commented out (lines beginning ';') is something which has not been done yet and is needed for a complete wad. As you can see the main things needed are levels, sounds and sprites.

Old Post 10-31-02 12:10 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
spank
I'm afraid of Americans

Don't bother waiting for me to ever release my E1 replacement. I don't have that much time in my hands after all :(

Old Post 10-31-02 13:43 #
spank is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

Hm... okay, I will ask some stupid question now (sorry :P)
Will the shareware wad have the "original" ep1 maps? Or some new maps made for shareware Free Doom?.

Old Post 10-31-02 17:28 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Torn said:
Hm... okay, I will ask some stupid question now (sorry :P)
Will the shareware wad have the "original" ep1 maps? Or some new maps made for shareware Free Doom?.

Heh, I'm hoping it includes new maps...I already made an E1M7 so my guess is that it would.

Old Post 10-31-02 21:26 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

Archvile64 said:
Heh, I'm hoping it includes new maps...I already made an E1M7 so my guess is that it would.

Heh, I have not started with my e1m6 yet. :)
But maybe it was a good idea to include new maps... so we get like 70-71 new maps (sound good I think) :P

Old Post 10-31-02 21:35 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

The plan is to hopefully reuse the E1 levels in the full IWAD somehow.

Old Post 10-31-02 23:36 #
Insomniak
Doesn't Sleep!

What's Freedoom?

Old Post 11-01-02 03:39 #
Insomniak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Insomniac said:
What's Freedoom?

Well, imagine being fated and having a free will at the same time. So, you could say freedoom is existence.

Old Post 11-01-02 03:57 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

fraggle said:
The plan is to hopefully reuse the E1 levels in the full IWAD somehow.

You mean Romero's maps?

Old Post 11-01-02 03:58 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

myk said:

You mean Romero's maps?

whaaaa?

Old Post 11-01-02 12:34 #
myk
volveré y seré millones

Heh, well that's what Torn asked 1st. But actually, wouldn't the "shareware" maps just be E1? I don't see why you need to make a shareware WAD... you just wan't to offer a smaller package for curious people to download 1st?

Old Post 11-01-02 14:05 #
fraggle

myk said:
Heh, well that's what Torn asked 1st. But actually, wouldn't the "shareware" maps just be E1? I don't see why you need to make a shareware WAD... you just wan't to offer a smaller package for curious people to download 1st?
The current short term aim is to create a complete version of the shareware iwad using freedoom resources. This gives us a fixed (and I believe achievable) goal. The wad will be totally original and totally free - its not shareware itself, just a "shareware wad" in that it contains the same resources as the original doom shareware wad.

Old Post 11-01-02 15:39 #
Kid Airbag

So after the "shareware" wad we'd finish Doom 2, then go back and do the rest of Ultimate Doom, just adding the already completed E1 to it?

Old Post 11-01-02 16:22 #
sgtcrispy
Forum Regular

neat-o!

not to change the subject but what to you think of map03 (my map) so far?

hehe...

Old Post 11-17-02 03:31 #
sgtcrispy is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

I already have plans to support freedoom, at least to recognize that its in use by looking for the FREEDOOM lump. However, if the IWAD is not standard-named, that is going to create extra issues. I'll have to verify that I can add "freedoom.wad" as an IWAD name and have it actually work :->

Old Post 11-18-02 17:21 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

Quasar said:
I already have plans to support freedoom, at least to recognize that its in use by looking for the FREEDOOM lump. However, if the IWAD is not standard-named, that is going to create extra issues. I'll have to verify that I can add "freedoom.wad" as an IWAD name and have it actually work :->

Sound great! :)

Old Post 11-24-02 18:20 #