Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > Just a question...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:21. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Trasher][
The game is not well!

I remember reading that Freedoom will be on a few Linux install disks.

Do id software know what we're doing, and do they approve?

Old Post 11-15-02 08:41 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

We don't know that it will for sure, but it's our goal.

Considering that fraggle e-mailed John Carmack before firing up the project, I guess they know about it. Approve? Not sure if they like it, but as long as we're not infringing any of their copyrighted stuff, they would just waste time if they cared.

Old Post 11-15-02 10:37 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Trasher][ said:

This is the eventual hope, though none of the distros include it yet as far as I know. This should be a boon to some of the ports, for example if you look in debian, doom ports such as prboom are in "contrib", rather than "main" (the main part of the distribution) because they currently depend on non-free software (the doom shareware wad).

I dont know if id actually know about freedoom; when I emailed John Carmack at the start of the project about the legality he claimed:

You could make and release a new DOOM wad that replaced everything with
similary looking original art, but it would still be bound by the
restrictions we place on community derivative work, so it wouldn't be
"free" in the sense that the GPL'd codebase is.
There is doubt over whether id can apply such restrictions, however. Personally I dont think they can enforce this.

Old Post 11-15-02 12:42 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Trasher][
The game is not well!

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old Post 11-17-02 11:00 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mewse
aahahhh

fraggle said:
There is doubt over whether id can apply such restrictions, however. Personally I dont think they can enforce this. [/B]

id can't apply those restrictions, because all of this work is either

a) created by hand from scratch
or
b) generated by a tool that isn't even licensed by id

i think maybe BSP is derived from idbsp but using another nodesbuilder with a normal freeware license would exclude id completely from the development of freedoom

Old Post 11-18-02 01:37 #
mewse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

mewse said:

id can't apply those restrictions, because all of this work is either

a) created by hand from scratch
or
b) generated by a tool that isn't even licensed by id

i think maybe BSP is derived from idbsp but using another nodesbuilder with a normal freeware license would exclude id completely from the development of freedoom

unless we infringe copyright, which is possible to do without using any of their original material.

Old Post 11-25-02 18:18 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Jon said:
unless we infringe copyright, which is possible to do without using any of their original material.
No, it isnt. We cant use id characters though as they presumably could be considered trademarks.

Old Post 11-25-02 20:08 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

fraggle said:
No, it isnt. We cant use id characters though as they presumably could be considered trademarks.

Ahh my mistake, I'm confusing copyright and trademark. Thanks for clearing this up.

Old Post 12-02-02 13:41 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote