Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > Level size limits

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:00. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Linguica

When designing Boom levels it's very easy to pump of the detail of a level to quite extravagant amounts and that's something that I feel that Freedoom should avoid. On a similar note, the more detailed a level gets, the bigger its filesize, and multiplied by 32 that could turn out to be quite a bit.

I suggest that Freedoom have a limit on how large the filesize of each level can be, to help avoid both detail bloat, and filesize bloat. I don't know what that limit ought to be, just an suggestion.

Old Post 08-17-01 06:13 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Hmm, what's the size of the original levels?

Old Post 08-17-01 10:08 #
boris is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ralphis`
Loser

30,000 linedef limit right?

Old Post 08-17-01 10:19 #
Ralphis` is offline Profile || Blog || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

You have a point, although I dont really want to force limits like this upon people. I could add a note to the readme file asking people to try to keep the levels small and simple but I dont think we should force them.

Old Post 08-17-01 16:08 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

What are you trying to do, kill my level? :P

I am making it sizable, since it's a city map, but I'm not cramming it with useless crap. It will take a good deal of horizontal and vertical mapspace, and there are a few points which have some 4-pixel-height increments but I might end up scrapping that building anyways, the windows on it don't look right.

It won't be some Subway-esque map though, I can say that much.

Old Post 08-17-01 21:01 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Well, I think what Ling had in mind in the first place is, that the levels should not be like 1MB each :)

Old Post 08-17-01 21:29 #
boris is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Good idea.

Unfortunately I think I might break that by the time I'm done, but then again I can pack sectors and sidedefs, so that would drop it down considerably.

We'll see, if it doesn't get accepted I'll just release it separately. I'm still making it either way, so no big deal.

Old Post 08-17-01 21:45 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
tom
Green Marine

maybe you could include simple levels and have the bigger levels downloadable as an extra module, eh

Old Post 09-03-01 00:25 #
tom is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote