Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > Freedoom name dangerous?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
geekmarine

Um, hey, I know the whole "Freedoom" name thing was discussed a long time ago, and I don't really remember the details of it, but I was just randomly surfing the web when I noticed that Freecraft was shut down on account of the fact that it's name was too similar to Warcraft or something like that. Maybe it's not something we have to worry about at all, but I just thought that attention should be brought to the issue, just in case.

Old Post 02-09-04 03:41 #
geekmarine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cyb

Old Post 02-09-04 05:27 #
Cyb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

Didn't the Freecraft guys actually use the graphics from Warcraft?

Old Post 02-09-04 05:47 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Scuba Steve

Oh No! Timeline2! Return of Timeline!

Old Post 02-09-04 09:40 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hirogen2

In any name where you use 'free', open, 'G' or 'K' somehow tell it is free.
Like Freedoom, OpenFT (gift.sf.net), Gnome and KDE. Bweebol.

EDIT: Let me rephrase: Everything which has 'free' or 'open' in its name, or a big 'G' or 'K' is dangerously in subject to be taken to be free.

Last edited by Hirogen2 on 02-10-04 at 08:03

Old Post 02-09-04 14:02 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mewse
aahahhh

gdoom

Old Post 02-09-04 14:03 #
mewse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Rellik
Knock Knock
Who's there?

I think id Software is a long way from caring about stuff like this. They're too busy trying decide what color ferrari to drive today.

Old Post 02-09-04 14:51 #
Rellik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hyena
Unfortunately it is lethal

Besides. Freedoom has a great ring to it (sounds like freedom). Freecraft doesn't have that same quality.
Doomnation had the same little gimmick that just made the name all that better. May it rest in peace.

Old Post 02-09-04 15:49 #
Hyena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

Rellik said:
I think id Software is a long way from caring about stuff like this. They're too busy trying decide what color ferrari to drive today.
Maybe after Doom 3 is out. Right now I think they're too busy deciding what shade of grey to put on the ceiling in the most recent corridor.

Old Post 02-09-04 16:35 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geekmarine

lol Thank you Captain Obvious. Yeah, I know, I'm always a bit behind (heck, part of me is still living in the 80s), but you know, I felt it'd be better to bring it up and look like a fool than have id shut us down or something. And hey, don't laugh at their ceiling-color dilemmas. It can be a very difficult decision. The average computer can display 32-bit color, which is I don't know how many shades of gray. And I mean, you're gonna have to try each one, because you never know how you're gonna feel about it until you've seen it in the game. No wonder Doom 3 is taking so long to make!

Old Post 02-09-04 17:32 #
geekmarine is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

geekmarine said:
The average computer can display 32-bit color
That's not true. Most computers don't even display colors at all.

Old Post 02-09-04 17:56 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Scuba Steve

Fredrik said:
Maybe after Doom 3 is out. Right now I think they're too busy deciding what shade of grey to put on the ceiling in the most recent corridor.
Didn't you make Vrak 3?

Old Post 02-09-04 18:07 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

I didn't suggest it was a bad thing.

Old Post 02-09-04 18:20 #
boris
meow

geekmarine said:
The average computer can display 32-bit color, which is I don't know how many shades of gray.

Actually the colors only have 24bit, the last 8bit are the alpha channel.

Old Post 02-09-04 18:54 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hirogen2

boris said:

[i]geekmarine said:

The average computer can display 32-bit color, which is I don't know how many shades of gray.

Actually the colors only have 24bit, the last 8bit are the alpha channel.

Yet, computers still do not display color. Either it is your graphics card (also wrong) or your monitor. And honestly, your monitor can display an infinite number of colors due to VGA cable (analog) (if applicable).

Even if you have 24bit o' color you still only have 8bit o' grayshades, as teh RGB values all need to be the same to form white (+/- brightness). Thus, 8bit == 256.

Old Post 02-10-04 08:08 #
Hirogen2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
geekmarine

...Damn nerds, can't just take a joke at face value...

Old Post 02-10-04 13:58 #
Fredrik

Hirogen2 said:
Even if you have 24bit o' color you still only have 8bit o' grayshades, as teh RGB values all need to be the same to form white (+/- brightness). Thus, 8bit == 256.
That's not exactly true, you can obtain more shades of grey by storing a saturated color and converting it to grey in the DAC.

Old Post 02-10-04 14:05 #
Hyena
Unfortunately it is lethal

The real issue is how many shades of grey you can get with 64-bit. Also I am running for governor of Canada.

Old Post 02-10-04 19:17 #
Hyena is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Fredrik

By definition, 64 bits can optimally give you 2^64 = 18446744073709551616 shades.

Old Post 02-10-04 19:24 #
Hirogen2

Hell the human eye doesnot even recognize the difference between #AAAAAA
and #ABABAB so 256 shades suffice.

Old Post 02-10-04 20:32 #
Fredrik

I recognize the difference between #AAAAAA and #ABABAB.

Old Post 02-10-04 20:48 #
Hirogen2

Fredrik said:
I recognize the difference between #AAAAAA and #ABABAB.

Onscreen not in the post!

Old Post 02-12-04 07:51 #
mewse
aahahhh

http://doomers.org/~mewse/acacac.gif

Old Post 02-12-04 08:23 #
mewse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hirogen2

mewse said:
http://doomers.org/~mewse/acacac.gif

Now that I know they are different they look different to me. Try again without chars.

Old Post 02-12-04 12:41 #
Fredrik

Hirogen2 said:
Onscreen not in the post!
Yes, onscreen.

Old Post 02-12-04 14:49 #
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

aaaaaaanyway, if freedoom became an issue we could just rename it then, I suppose.

(I was apposed to 'freedoom' at the time but nothing particularly good was proposed, except EL SMASHO)

Old Post 02-19-04 10:44 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Arioch
not arioch

We could always name it Free----.

Old Post 02-19-04 10:51 #
Arioch is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Julian

Despayre forever!

Old Post 02-19-04 11:04 #
Julian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

Julian said:
Despayre forever!

Too bad that we'd get our asses sued by George Lucas.

Old Post 02-19-04 12:43 #
Fredrik

Arioch said:
We could always name it Free----.
More like Froom/Fr---.

Old Post 02-19-04 14:08 #