Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

freedoom 0.3

I'm not apposed to the idea of 'graceful degredation' for boom features, kindof like how CSS is supposed to be used. Not sure if many existing levels can be adjusted like this without significantly impacting the playability though. I guess I'll have to play the levels first ;)

No - going to edinburgh tomorrow and need an early night. possibly saturday afternoon or sometime sunday.

Gonna look to day. I'll have to play each original level once and each modified level once to see what you've changed: It'd really help if you could write up some notes so I know what to look for :)

Right, I tried prboom -iwad doom1.wad -file e1m1.wad and I didn't notice any difference in the level whatsoever. I don't actually have an original doom IWAD and I dont know if prboom honours -file for the shareware WAD, so I opened e1m1.wad in a hex editor, changed 'E1M1' and the following byte into MAP01, and played it using the freedoom IWAD (i.e. doom2). Still no detectable difference... :)

Ok is that a good thing or a bad thing ? You try playing it in jDoom ? If you play the original in jDoom then the modify one, you can see the differents.

No I was playing it in prboom. I figured that if the changes were negative, It'd be most obvious in a boom port.

I've just realised that I had skipped over the lift part of E1M1 which is the most likely place for you to have made changes. This is especially embarrassing as E1M1 is my level :) I'll check again tonight and try another level too.

Thanks for your work

Jon said:

I'll check again tonight

The lift region of E1M1 seems inaccessible in jdoom still.

Yes, the one by the H. I could raise the ceiling and assign raise to higher floor on one of them then assign a lower to floor at the one at the top. But right now I'm confuse as for the function the one at the top does, don't seem to notice anything in 3drisen however the lift works fine in 3drisen. If you have any suggestions I'm open to use them.

tony said:

Yes, the one by the H. I could raise the ceiling and assign raise to higher floor on one of them then assign a lower to floor at the one at the top. But right now I'm confuse as for the function the one at the top does, don't seem to notice anything in 3drisen however the lift works fine in 3drisen. If you have any suggestions I'm open to use them.

The lift has an up switch and a down switch. The top of the lift has a switch to call the lift up if it is down - this is a possibility if you hit 'down' and run back off the lift, or in multiplayer.

Come to think of it, there should be, and isn't afaik, an equivalent switch on the down floor for calling the lift if it is up.

However this whole life malarkey is pointless. I'd just remove all three buttons, set the floor height default to the top floor, set the wall of the lift facing the down floor to be a standard doom SW lift down and set the upper-linedef joining the lift and the upper-level to be a walk-many lift down too.

Not sure why I even bothered using the boom-specific lift effects. If you don't fancy changing that stuff I'll do it myself - about time I cracked open wadauthor again and maybe I'll get on with E1M2 if I do :)

tony said:

I'll wait and see what you have in mind

So did you change anything else in e1m1? I notice that there's all of the E1 levels in that directory fraggle extracted, but e1m2 at least is just one room. Has he definitely put the right levels up? What should I look out for on the other levels?

I think level two isn't done yet, at least I didn't notice any level two, perhaps you thinking of freedoom2 ?

tony said:

I think level two isn't done yet, at least I didn't notice any level two, perhaps you thinking of freedoom2 ?

Yes I know it isn't finished - in that other thread, fraggle extracted the levels you submitted to a folder on the web. Those are the ones I have been trying. The reason I am raising this point is, it seems odd for e1m2.wad to be listed in that directory, seeing as there wasn't anything to modify. Thats why I was wanting to make sure it wasn't a mistake.

here's an updated e1m1. Note I think I'll change the walk trigger to be a switch, also maybe some texture alignment probs to fix.

I didn't knew he was going to extract the wads, thought of it was going to remain like the freedoom wad.

tony said:

I didn't knew he was going to extract the wads, thought of it was going to remain like the freedoom wad.

I presume he extracted them to make it easier for us to try 'em out. Anyway I'm not playing any more until you confirm I'm playing the right ones, especially since E1M1 appears untouched, and I'd be much more motivated to look if I knew what to look for :P

For reference here's the directory I was grabbing the levels from.

You looking for if the levels can be passed and completed with jDoom also if there's any function that is too noticeable and different from the boom experience. If you play the original wad on jDoom, see how far you can go >)

I just noticed that the first door on E1M1 doesn't open with jdoom - sorry!