Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

The Great Freedoom Graphics Improvement Project

Very impressive. Significant improvements in every case. I especially like the new tek wall with the pipes on it and the weapon looks great.

I've been wondering, would it not be better for the Freedoom plasma gun to use blue projectiles as per the original? I say this because certain WADs, and certain features of some ports (eg dynamic lights) are set up with the default colours in mind. I guess it all depends how interchangeable versus independent people want Freedoom to be.

Whatever, it looks good.

Enjay said:

I've been wondering, would it not be better for the Freedoom plasma gun to use blue projectiles as per the original? I say this because certain WADs, and certain features of some ports (eg dynamic lights) are set up with the default colours in mind. I guess it all depends how interchangeable versus independent people want Freedoom to be.

This is an important issue. Another aspect of it is gameplay -- we've all played Doom so long that we subconsciously associate the original colors of the various powerups with their effects. I've made several powerups that break the color scheme (in the name originality), but I'll be happy to recolor those if there is a consensus to stick with the original colors.

I kinda liked the original plasma :( I thought it was one of the better weapons Freedoom had.

I would say Enjay's point makes sense. I'm sure there are WADs out there with Dehacked patches that rely on the color of the projectiles, like that both the Arachnotron and BFG shots are green.

I'm impressed. I've been relutant in the past to use Freedoom because of how inconsistant things looked, but those redo's of those textuers look really nice.

Also, I'd like to echo Enjay's statements as well.

YES IT'S BLUE AGAIN

also dithering is your friend. Dither the shading more and also define the edges with a tiny bit of sharp highlight.

Updated with a couple of new graphics, and some screenshots.

plasma.wad

leileilol said:

also dithering is your friend. Dither the shading more and also define the edges with a tiny bit of sharp highlight.

I generally don't think dithering looks right in Doom. There already is highlight.

Un an unrelated note; did Espi make FLAT1? That one's simply the best texture in the history of Doom mods.

Fredrik said:

I generally don't think dithering looks right in Doom.

I disagree.

Don't forget to take your older green plasma shots to replace the arachnotron's

leileilol said:

Don't forget to take your older green plasma shots to replace the arachnotron's

Great idea; done.

Maybe i'll make some new chaingun sprites later on

I am getting better at weapons modeling now so maybe i'll try it later

And everything continues to look awesome. The chaingun looks unfinished; I'm assuming it is? It looks like it's got way too much contrast and not enough subtle detail. Everything else is excellent, though. Which other textures and stuff are currently being worked on? If I know what's not already being done, I can try helping improve some stuff. :)

esselfortium said:

And everything continues to look awesome. The chaingun looks unfinished; I'm assuming it is? It looks like it's got way too much contrast and not enough subtle detail.

Yeah, the parts in shadow shouldn't be all black.

Which other textures and stuff are currently being worked on?

None. I'll continue to pick graphics more or less on random and finish them one at a time.

The chaingun feels weak and puny now :(

Are you even drawing these with the status bar in mind? They all appear too small (including your new ssg)

leileilol said:

Are you even drawing these with the status bar in mind? They all appear too small (including your new ssg)

I don't see what you mean. My new weapons are all nearly identical in size to the original Doom weapons. If anything, custom weapons have a tendency to become oversized.

I've added two frames for a new shotgun guy (loosely based on the old one). As usual, there's no guarantee I'll ever do the remaining frames.

Almost all these graphics look fantastic. I'm glad to see your cardboard boxes, even in low-res. I think they are great.

The only ones I'm not sure about are the sw19 ones. The parts where the brown/green is broken and fading into grey looks a little "painted on" rather than some actual, proper surface damage-like effect.

The shotgun guy looks great too. How many half finished monsters do you have for freedoom now? ;)