This started as a listing of problem doors in FreeDoom. I do not think these are because I used Legacy. It is more likely that the level designer used a mouse to move forward rather than keyboard walk and run.
The mouse can be set to unrealistic speeds. Legacy limits the player to a reasonable walk and run speed.
I have ended up including other problems such as unreachable rooms, because the alternative was to start another thread.
Only found 1 voodoo doll use that stops play, all others are unnoticed when playing with Legacy. I did not even notice that they were there until I looked hard with a level editor.
Has voodoo doll, but it does not stop play if it does not work (button #372).
There are alternative buttons on the square console that will also raise the platforms outside ( #860..#863 ) .
Behind RED door, after the crushers, has three roundish rooms
(sectors 69, 70, 71) where the floor drops in each room to reveal an opening to the next room (by trip line and by push button). In the 3rd room there is a button that will drop the floor of the previous room, and 2nd room has button that drops floor of 1st room, and if you retrace back to the 1st room very quickly it can be made to drop very deeply and reveal a hidden room.
Played without cheating or exploits, it is impossible to get to the hidden room.
1. Only know the hidden room is there if you use an editor or cheat.
So the only player who would be repeatedly trying to reach this room, must have cheated to find out it was there. It can not be seen otherwise.
2. linedef across 3rd room triggers an action that defeats attempts to get around to 2nd room quickly. This alone is responsible for more failed attempts than anything else. This linedef is actually unnecessary as the button the player is walking towards will do same action if the design would only let the player get to it first.
3. My Slow door control in Legacy does not fix this, as all the floors slow too.
4. Have never managed to get to that hidden room, even after more that 15 attempts. I can cheat and get there but that is not the point.
5. Just discovered that you actually reach the room if you hit the wall way below the switch (in middle room) instead of waiting for floor to come back up to the switch. But that seems like cheating too. Also a player would not be doing such a thing unless they were using it as a cheat to get to the hidden room, which at that point they should not know yet that it is there.
I do not know what to do to fix this that
Linedef at back of niche (#866) cannot be activated even after cheating and knowing where it is. Thus cannot get to hidden switch to lower plasma gun. Have to use editor and cheat to even find the switch.
- As a wild guess I took a shot at it, and that works. As a player I would not be shooting all walls to see if one activates a door. I find using a noclip cheat to be less distasteful and uses up less ammo.
- Opinion: I do not consider shooting an innocent wall a reasonable way to open a door on the other side of the map. If it was a visible switch that was otherwise unapproachable, then maybe. Wasting ammo shooting at random walls is a variation of "learn by dying".
Platform delay too short. Triggered by switch high on wall between the crates, then expected to weave around the crates and get to silver lift that takes you to upper walkway. Cannot do it using keyboard walk and run. Recommend delay x2.
In large foyer, the computer terminal is hard to reach for a non-jumper, for some reason is stuck back in corner of table instead of being near one of the table edges. I end up jumping up on table to reach it, something a non-jumping port cannot do. I might not be such a problem for someone who knows that the terminal is a switch, but what about the new player who does not even know the switch and lift exist?? Delay is too short to keyboard run to get to the lift. Using a delay of x1.2 I can reach the lift after about 6 tries. Recommend changing delay by x1.5 at least. Due to the silver lift against silver background, the lift itself is not visible when activated. This is one of those lifts that players will not find without using a cheat-sheet.
There is a new room with revenants in corridor leading to the large foyer. Went in to push switch and found that there is no way out, as door does not respond from inside.
I failed to get this switch to work even after several tries and using a level editor to cheat. This may be some deliberate elaborate trap, but it just makes the level seem broken.
I really think this level is broken in several ways, and may be unfinished.
GIT reports that switch got moved, but I have not seen this yet. Other unspecified changes reported.
Voodoo doll door does not work for Legacy. There is no alternative work around so this is the one place that it really stops play. The fast workaround is to noclip and go through door, but that leaves many monsters unkilled. The best workaround is to noclip and go to the trigger corridor, un-noclip and walk through it triggering the linedefs, noclip again and go back to pool, un-noclip again.
Cannot not exit this level no matter what cheats are used.
1. End up with yellow key and no place to use it. Cannot get past flaming barrels. Level seems fatally broken.
2. End up with red key and stuck in black room with no exit.
Level seems fatally broken.
Cheating with level editor, and using noclip, does not solve this level.
[ Update 4/5/2009: I have submitted a patch to Legacy giving it Voodoo dolls. With the patch applied, this voodoo door now works. On the other side, there is now another engine reported to NOT have voodoo dolls. ]
Last edited by wesleyjohnson on Jul 1 2009 at 04:27