Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadow1013

Vanilla Freedoom

hex11 said:

You plan on leaving it like that though?

BTW, really loving the comp-dm.deh hack! :)

No no, just pointing out that it's not a bug. Catoptromancy is too hard on himself, he didn't break anything. Well, not this time anyway haha

Anyway, obviously if freedm is going to become a vanilla compatible iwad that you can use to play single-player pwads it will need real monster sprites in it as well. The patch is very simple, it just requires deleting that very same #ifdef FREEDM section in buildcfg.txt I linked to earlier.

I must agree. A little bloat, but for crashless chocodooming.

And I really did break my local repo, just reupped a new one and its smooth. I break things frequently.

Well there is at least one decent reason:

fraggle said:

I am interested in there existing a free Vanilla IWAD of some kind, as this would allow Chocolate Doom to be distributed in Debian main - it is currently only allowed in Debian contrib, because it depends on an IWAD, and there are no free ones that it can work with.

bloodmasterxtreme said:

You know to be honest, i dont really see the point in making it vanilla playable you know. Its only the maps that arent compatible, and you can just run like a mega wad or somethin like that if you want vanilla playibility.

Not all pwads replace the full level complement. Sometimes it's only an episode, or a few maps.

You still need to decide a measure that levels must meet.
I assume Chocolate-Doom has fixed something or done some limit removing, or else it would be Vanilla-Doom.
When creating a level, it would be easy to see Boom features with an Editor, but because of limit removing ports, checking for "too many visplanes" requires a test port for the project.

1. Test levels against Chocolate-Doom and if they work, then accept them. This would be using Chocolate-Limits, and would make it a Chocolate-FreeDoom.

2. Test levels against an original id engine, such as DoomII.
No need to belabor the discussion; requires DOS, FreeDos, DosBox, dosemu, or such, and a copy of DoomII, and not everyone can do this.

3. Test against shareware Doom.
At least this is legal to distribute to everyone.

4. Test against some other port that HAS NOT got limit removing fixes, and runs on DOS, Win and Linux.

5. Designate an official level tester who has a working test port.

FreeDM:
For me, deathmatch should have freelook. Vanilla Doom has auto-aim.

If Chocolate-Doom has freelook, or is restricted to auto-aim, is important in designing levels.

For a Vanilla wad, I would assume fixed look with auto-aim unless informed otherwise.

wesleyjohnson said:

1. Test levels against Chocolate-Doom and if they work, then accept them. This would be using Chocolate-Limits, and would make it a Chocolate-FreeDoom.
[...]
If Chocolate-Doom has freelook, or is restricted to auto-aim, is important in designing levels.

You realize what Chocolate Doom aims to be, right? Aside from a few really obscure vanilla bugs, it should behave as the original executables do, bugs, limits, and all.

No, I do not know what differences there might be in Chocolate-Doom vrs Vanilla-Doom, or what crashes might get fixed in the future.

By lack of response, I expect it will be a free-for-all, with 4 or 5 different "Vanilla-like" ports being used to verify levels.
Failures of "visplane overflow" and the like will have to be reported by those with the weakest port.
The default is that the someone with the weakest port and most time will be un-designated tester of all levels.

Chocolate Doom is meant to be exactly like vanilla, you don't have anything to worry about with mapping for it, since you don't map for Chocolate Doom, you just map for vanilla Doom. If you find a bug in Chocolate Doom that doesn't exist in vanilla Doom (or even vice versa), fraggle needs to know about it.

wesleyjohnson said:

I assume Chocolate-Doom has fixed something or done some limit removing, or else it would be Vanilla-Doom.

Your assumption is incorrect. If a level works in Chocolate Doom and not in Vanilla Doom, that is a bug in Chocolate Doom that I want to fix.

For all intents and purposes you should consider Chocolate Doom a recreation of the Vanilla, DOS executable that runs on modern operating systems.

I found a bug that occurs when playing doom.exe with Ultimate Freedoom and pwads. When you run doom.exe with doom.wad and one or more pwads, a prompt comes up that says that Doom has been modified and you have to press Enter before you can play the game. If you use Ultimate Freedoom instead of doom.wad, the prompt doesn't come up and it hangs with a blinking cursor. Interestingly Chocolate Doom doesn't have this bug.

BondEar said:

I found a bug that occurs when playing doom.exe with Ultimate Freedoom and pwads. When you run doom.exe with doom.wad and one or more pwads, a prompt comes up that says that Doom has been modified and you have to press Enter before you can play the game. If you use Ultimate Freedoom instead of doom.wad, the prompt doesn't come up and it hangs with a blinking cursor.

Freedoom doesn't support Vanilla doom.exe. This is not a bug.

This thread is about making Freedoom compatible with vanilla. Therefore the bug is relevant to this thread.

BondEar said:

This thread is about making Freedoom compatible with vanilla. Therefore the bug is relevant to this thread.

This thread is about making a seperate iwad in addition Freedoom's doom2.wad and doom.wad that is vanilla.

Freedm in the repo should be 100% vanilla, it has all the monsters and maps are mostly tested.

Unfortunately it can't be used to run Ultimate Doom pwads.

Also there's a medusa effect behind one of the doors in FreeDM Map02.

A suggestion for freedoom, if we could at least have the 3 demos vanilla compatible it would be much better. and maybe redo the first map so that it is vanilla as well

shadow1013 said:

A suggestion for freedoom, if we could at least have the 3 demos vanilla compatible it would be much better. and maybe redo the first map so that it is vanilla as well

!£&*^£&!

(to be interpreted as: FOR FUCKS SAKE READ THE THREAD)