Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Flat submission

First off, I know that the submission guidelines say that it must be uploaded to the ftp server. I'm sorry, but since I fail, I can't figure out how to use ftp. That, and I need an ftp account, which I have no idea how to obtain one here. Sorry for my noobishness in not following that point in the guidelines. I really want to submit this, so I don't really have a choice but to create a thread.

Anyway, I have created a replacement for the flat MFLR8_4, as I feel the original does not even come close to resembling the original flat.

I'd like to be credited as "Sodaholic" exactly without quotes.

My new flat itself:

Sodahollic said:

Anyway, I have created a replacement for the flat MFLR8_4, as I feel the original does not even come close to resembling the original flat.

Thanks, but is resembling Doom really that important? There are lots of graphics in Freedoom that don't resemble those of the original game, so I'm not sure this is a can of worms worth opening. (For instance I would be compelled immediately to insist upon the red armour being coloured blue to match the soulsphere so that all of those old wads that put a soulsphere and a blue armour together in a blue room don't look stupid. And recolour the megasphere so it doesn't look like an invulnerability. And...)

Plus here is a comparison shot and to be honest I think Freedoom's current MFLR8_4 looks better.

I think it looks waaay better. Most of the textures look so damn grainy and noisy, while this one is nice and smooth (much like Colt 45).

The best choice is clearly to use both textures, as Capoptromancy said.

I really like the old one. Freedoom has its own style, and we should keep it, since we are this far already.

I think the grittyness of the old flat is much nicer than the new one's smooth pattern. From its use in the extant FreeDoom maps, the rough ground is one of the most distinctive visual elements in the project, and I'd be sad to see it replaced.

Those look pretty good. We could make them as GRASS3 and GRASS4 though. I like the old ones too.

Sodaholic said:

Actually your version is similar to ASHWALL1 or whichever from Doom 2.

They should get new names. These flats get used in unusual situations where nothing better could be found, and changing the flats now could result in strange changes throughout the levels.

I upload to the sever using Internet Explorer, addressing the incoming folder, and then copy the file and paste it into the Internet Explorer window. Otherwise use an FTP specific tool. There is no account needed.