Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

New Freedoomguy Face Concept

I'll probably get yelled at for this, but I'm just throwing out thoughts here...I always thought that Freedoomguy's face looked a bit...well, cartoonish for one and a bit too...clean. You know, not 'toughened up' enough. I can't draw sprites at all, but I can barely draw so I was wondering what you guys would think if I threw out a new HUD face concept.

http://i.imgur.com/BpKks.jpg

I know the drawing itself is pretty ugly (I got a lot of proportions wrong, etc), but given my lack of skill and my age (14) try to bear with me...

Other than that, what do you guys think?

I prefer the extant face design, actually. I think the cartooniness fits in well with most of the other Freedoom assets, and I kind of like the way he looks more like an "everyman", as opposed to some stereotypical soldier.

(Also, wow, you're younger than I would've thought. I assumed you were in your mid-twenties, at least.)

Mithran Denizen said:

(Also, wow, you're younger than I would've thought. I assumed you were in your mid-twenties, at least.)

It's nice that 1 in 80 teenagers aren't loopy dipsticks. As for the drawing I like this new one, the current Freedoom marine to me always looked like a dork.

Mithran Denizen said:

I prefer the extant face design, actually. I think the cartooniness fits in well with most of the other Freedoom assets, and I kind of like the way he looks more like an "everyman", as opposed to some stereotypical soldier.

I see what you mean. My natural instinct is to take a more dark and sinister take on things, even though freedoom is more light and cartoony. (I assume this is intentional)

I was actually going to suggest replacing the current...things...that are supposed to be in place of the pinky demon with demonic dogs of some sort...You know, like hellhounds.

Use3D said:

As for the drawing I like this new one, the current Freedoom marine to me always looked like a dork.

Glad to hear!

The hard part is making new graphics that fit the current theme.
I made the spiderdemon based upon the imp, zombie, and shotgun guy, trying to keep the same color theme (darker colors, brown and greens, dark metal), different than the original shiny metal.

The face needs to look similar to the player sprite face.
The current face is compatible with the sprite, so probably should only make small adjustments. It does not take much to make him scruffier.
Could chew his clothes up a little more when heavily damaged.
Really limited in what detail can be used because the face is just too small and must convey the damage status with a glance.

I had some tenative plans to resize some of the sprites closer to their engine sizes.

Pink worms need to be fattened out quite a bit.

Revenants need to be shortened considerably.