Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadow1013

Vanilla FreeDOOM maps

If anyone is interested, I went through the process of converting both e1m1 and e1m2 of the ultimate freedoom to complete vanilla fully functional also abiding by the resource restrictions set by the original shareware IWAD.

Changes:

E1M1: A whole bunch
* Changed a whole bunch of textures
* The broken bridge room is now a normal bridge with the slime up to near the bridge i.e. no longer need the switch in the lower room to pass
* lower room completely revamped, slime way higher, added passage to new secret.
* outdoor areas completely redone, less visplanes, now has slime pools and barrels outside.
* mostly retains the original feel

E1M2: Nearly identical, except for some texture changes, and use only DOOM1 linedefs

Here's a small map I made last night. I'm not really sure what to do with it now:
(E1M1) "Espace from Wulfenstein 2D"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3t3w5d

It started out in simple Wolf3D style, but sort of drifted a bit... There isn't much height variation, but lots of monsters to kill. :) There's an easily identified secret room with the berzerker pack (don't know if I could survive the map without it). The LMP was recorded with Chocolate Doom 1.6 and the doom.wad snapshot from 2011/09/06 (only because that's the version I "installed" a while back).

Some random screenshots:

I played through it, but I found the pistoling of everything quite annoying D: Ummm, would you like to test out my new episode1? I'm almost done, just need e1m6 and e1m7, everything should be pure vanilla

EDIT: WOW I completely missed that beserk pack, and I like the little blue key trap thing, that was exciting, I was like "Holy crap Barons!"

E1M1:
Found no bugs, but this shadow looks strange (I think the area to the right of it should be what's dark, given the position of the lamp behind me). Also this wall panel at the end stands out a bit (maybe it needs a mid texture?) The changes you made work well, and I found the rad suit and shotgun/armor secret. Oh, seeing that small building across from the topmost floor always makes me wonder if there's a way to get to it. :) I noclip'd to it looks like someone started to detail the insides, but never finished it.

E1M2:
Lots of tutti-fruti on steps and computers. Basically walk around with -nomonsters and inspect every single step and computer, just in case. :) I ended the level without findind any secrets. Also, I didn't notice any changes from the original map (they must be subtle).

E1M3:
The first step you see from the start area has tutti-fruti. I didn't notice any others, but then again I didn't complete this map (died in a dark place soon after fidind the yellow key). I'll try again later...

Oh, for some reason the music doesn't play on E1M2 and E1M3 when using Chocolate Doom with OPL. Well, it "plays" in the sense that you can occasionally hear a note or two, but for the most part it's silent (even with music volume cranked up all the way to 15). No such problem with E1M1 though.

Yeah, I know, I haven't the slightest idea how to fix it mapwise. I think it happens when there is a texture on the upper wall. There's alot more where that came from but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it.

Also, about the music, I haven't the slightest idea, it must be a freedoom bug, because I didn't add any new music. And that room across area? I actually undetailed it, because it was giving me too much hell, I might fix it though. It's a DM start, lol. Also, I should change the lighting, it's a bit weird. As for the e1m2 tutti-frutti, that's annoying as hell, I'm gonna see what to do about it.

About e1m2 changes, yeah they are subtle as hell, I'd be surprised if I found them myself. It was mostly linedef actions changed to DOOM1 types instead of DOOM2 so it would feel more traditional, and some texture changes which aren't present in the original E1

Hmm... I looked into the E1 tutti-frutti, and if I change the texture to something not step, it doesn't tutti-frutti

shadow1013 said:

Hmm... I looked into the E1 tutti-frutti, and if I change the texture to something not step, it doesn't tutti-frutti

Clearing the linedef's LowerUnpegged attribute seems to do the trick on this one.

I played E1M3 again and found only one other bug: you can get stuck behind the yellow door (it doesn't open from the exit room side). I noclip'd out to go looking for the secret exit (which was surprisingly easy to find, compared to the original E1 anyway).

On E1M9 there is some more tutti-fruti on some computers. Also a switch in blue key basement room that seems to be wired backwards (turns off when you activate it). Lots of switches on this map, I got confused a few times. I wasn't able to finish it because an entire wall section got hosed once I opened the door that my position indicates in the map screenshot. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but the door opened to reveal some tutti-fruti (or possibly medusa artifacts) and once I let it shut itself (instead of going inside) the door, windows and every decoration on that wall disapeared and left behind just a plain brown wall. At that point, even humping the blank wall didn't open the door again.

Well that's a really weird bug... I hadn't had it happen while playtesting. Ummm, yeah, that switch probably should have it's texture switched to it's opposite, and some of the tutti-frutti is gonna be creative to get rid of, but I did manage to get rid of it in E1M3, with the unpegged flags. Weird huh?

Also, I know E1M9 is very switch hunty, I thought it would make a good secret map. Unfortunately I wish I could have created a map for this, but alas, I suck so bad at mapping that it wouldn't go well with my quality control for this project. I'm still missing e1m6 and e1m7 and I'm thinking, maybe, just maybe I might try to crank one out to see how I do.

After E1 is done I'm most definitely wishing to go on and do E2 and E3, which of course won't have the texture restrictions I put on E1 :P Overall, I hope to collect and provide a damned good mapset for FreeDOOM

I can consistently reproduce the door bug in E1M9, both with Chocolate Doom + Freedoom IWAD, and with SDL Doom + Doom registered v1.8 IWAD.

It turns out both doors on that wall have linedef type 111 (S1 open door) instead of type 1 (DR open door). So that's why the door doesn't open again after it closes... It's still kinda freaky that the entire wall blanks out though (I guess the engine is confused that a switch has tag #0). But whatever, selecting the door sectors in Yadex and using "Misc -> Make door from sector" fixes the problem.

Btw, the red-marked switch panel inside that room has tutti-fruti on the bottom.

Edit: Also on E1M9, the view outside the windows in the start and exit rooms looks strange (some sky texture appears underneath the mountains). You might need to expand the courtyards a bit and make the outer perimeter walls higher.

Oops, I'll fix that right away! And yeah, I fixed the door bug thing. That was stupid, why in God's name someone would leave that untagged is beyond me. Thanks for noticing that :) Would you like to create a map for this project? I'd really appreciate it!

E1M4:
Found no bugs other than some tutti-fruti...
1) a few steps outside (upper courtyard)
2) path to yellow key
3) path to rocket launcher
4) down at the nukage river (the whole staircase)

It looks like you removed all the crates from the courtyards, so it's kind of barren now. It was overcrowded before, but maybe a couple things (anything, not necessarily crates) would look nicer.

I'm very slow at mapping, so probably wouldn't be able to make anything decent in a reasonable timeframe. I might be able to flesh out Freedoom's E1M6 though. It has nice architecture, and seems to run okay in vanilla. I don't know if there's any E2 or E3 textures in there. I think it has the nukage falls (SFALL1-4) from Doom II, so that would need to go.

Freedoom's E1M7 might also be vanilla, but not sure because I never got too far in that one...

Yeah, that was my whole problem with the outdoor area. I also raised it significantly. Maybe I could add cages of some sort? or something like that?

On e1m6, I was looking at those slime falls, (theres only three or four falls all in the same area) but the whole area depends on it. Not to many e2 and e3 textures I don't think but those are easily replace. And as for e1m7, It's a beautiful map, but it has so many E2 and E3 textures it's ridiculous, also I just don't feel it as very E1-ish past the first area. After that it gets very E2-ish for me

I guess it's really the top courtyard that looks empty. That DOORSTOP pole that sticks up high above the lift looks a bit strange. Maybe it can be turned into a navigation light or something. For example, classic11.wad has some at the start area (outside both windows) with bright (light = 255), flashing (type = 13, 2 Hz sync.) REDWALL1 textured tip. But maybe LITEBLU4 would work, or even simply placing one of those blue health bonus items on top.

I changed that little pole at the top to have the blue lights, It came out nice, and I changed the helicopter landing pad to remove the H and just have a strip of blue.

Other than that idk what to put upstairs

E1M5:
Just some minor stuff... Those red lights might look better if the sector was one notch darker (144 instead of 160).
The spotlights that illuminate the blank pillar seem really weird. Maybe there should be a mid texture on the front that the lights are focussed on (wrapped along the 3 front sections). Or maybe an excavation and something interesting inside the pillar, like a player (voodoo doll) or a baron that is immobilized in a tight space and can't move or shoot.
Switches wired backwards:
1) secret near that strange pillar
2) next to blue door
3) exit switch (might need an EXITSIGN also)

You're help has been invaluable to me! Umm, I fixed the switches and lowered the light levels where you said, only other change I made was I removed that column, which you are right, I did "wtf" a couple times when I saw it. Instead I replaced the wall behind with a tiny alcove and tekwall. kinda like if a screen was ripped off (living trapped barons or a voodoo doll felt way to un-E1 for me

EDIT: About the secret surrounded by candles, Do you think that's too easy to find? Originally it had no markings so I knew that would be ridiculous to find, but now I'm worried about it being too easy

Well it's easy for a veteran player, who knows that candles often mark a secret, but maybe not for a newbie. Find one and ask him/her to playtest and see. :) OTOH, it's not easy to tell what that switch does, because it opens a secret passage way on the opposite side of the map. One clue might be to place a single blue health bonus right underneath the switch.

Btw, I missed something earlier... E1M2's exit switch is wired backwards. And some other exits have no EXITSIGN (both E1M3 exits, E1M4, E1M9).

The OPL music only plays on E1M1 and E1M5, it's effectively silent on all the other maps. I even tried using registered Doom's GENMIDI lump, but that made no difference, so I guess something is up with the tunes. Might need to find some replacements.

Are you going to change the map names on automap and intermission screens? Maybe also the end of episode text, ENDOOM lump, various screens (TITLEPIC, etc.)? I think Chocolate Doom supports some basic level of WAD-embedded DeHacked, at least enough to handle the maps names and EoE text.

I actually want to submit this to FreeDOOM main, in hopes that we can have one full complete episode. So yeah, and all the map names that I've decided are in the text file. Also, there is no music in my wadfiles... each wadfile is just the map. Other than that, I'll put the potion under the switch, and hopefully that is an idea.

MORE: My basic plan for this project is to replace Episode 1 of the Ultimate FreeDOOM as I felt it kind of incomplete, and also, might as well vanilla-ize it if I'm in the process of providing a whole episode anyway. I don't plan any DEHACKED but I definitely would want the names of each map to be present in the intermission, so make new graphics and I guess let the map names be added to the main dehacked file? In addition, I do believe the DOOM 1 version of FreeDOOM needs a completely seperate titlepic, and most definitely a true animated WIMAP. But alas I'm not a graphics artist (or anything really, just a coder who has sense for nice stuff I guess?)

E1M6:
Bad texture alignment above/below switch next to nukage pit. The linedefs surrounding the pit are also impassible, so there should probably be a barrier there, like BRNSMALC/L/R mid texture for example. Either that or get rid of the impassible flag, and add a means to exit the pit.
Tutti-fruti on step to bridge (should probably be same warning strip texture that's on left and right side walls).
Blue key switch is wired backwards.
The red door can't be opened from the inside, so you can get trapped in there (the inside linedef is bogus). Also, the door is tucked away in a small corner and hard to see. The small 8-pixel width sector right in front of it should be brighter (at least 144, maybe 160) and perhaps flashing.
The exit switch is unmarked (needs EXITSIGN), and the pits in front of it can't be escaped if you fall it. Might want to made the bridge (or a small section thereof) into a lift, or add some stairs.
In the final screenshot (NW of map, near red door), the two little computer panels (as well as the tekwall directly behind my position) are a bit confusing the way they're placed flush against the floor, because everytime I go by that spot, I keep thinking they might be doors. It wouldn't hurt to raise the floor & ceiling by 16 or 32 pixels in those nooks.

Other than that, I think the yellow key fight is too much of a cakewalk, and in fact there is no resistance whatsoever in that hallway with the switch that lowers the key sector. Some other places could be beefed up a bit too, but that's a good place to start...

I briefly looked at a couple other maps, but they still have tutti-fruti, so I guess you don't know how to fix it?

I noticed you added the lights at the top of the DOORSTOP pole on the E1M4 upper courtyard, but it didnd't come out nearly as good as the one in classic11.wad. Actually, you might want to just copy the way he did it, because it turns out that REDWALL1 is in the shareware IWAD (I guess it's used in E1M8 or something).

Btw, the helipad looked better with the H. Now there's no telling what that thing even is. :)

I fixed all that stuff except for the comp and tekwall being flush to the floor, as a fix to that, one of those leads out to the slime pool with the megasphere (of course you still gotta flip the switch behind the blue door to lower the platform) Umm, I looked at classic11.wad and I changed the E1M4 light to do the same, hopefully it's better now. Also, I actually didn't like the H, because the H looked out of place considering that it doesn't take place on Earth (even if FreeDOOM's story is different, none of the levels look earthy enough)

I'm haven't the slightest idea how to fix most of the tutti-frutti :( I only was able to fix some, but a lot of them, idk how to fix without changing the whole architecture

Also, when this is done, I need new demo's D: the ones I recorder already desync due to changes.

Don't worry about the demos for now, those always come last. The ones you made work fine as placeholders. Anyway, some more people are going to need to test these maps, and they'll have problems to report and suggestions to make also.

The funny thing about the H symbol is that it's also used in other maps that have spaceship docking bays (crater.wad for example). The landing pad in E1M4 is rather small though, so wouldn't accomodate more than a tiny shuttlecraft.

Speaking of story... Well, there isn't one yet. ;) And so that also means you can't write a proper E1 end text. Might be time to start making an outline (like a mini Doom Bible).

I'll see what I can do about those other tutti-fruti bugs when you post the next download link.

Found no bugs in E1M8. I liked the warning stripes on the smiling demon teleporter pad. :)

What about the E1M7 slot? Is this going to be a modified (populated) Freedoom E1M6?

So far I've only run through on the default skill 3. At least skills 2 and 4 will need thorough testing. But even skill 3 needs more playtesting with focus on the action (fights) instead of cosmetic bugs. I also managed to miss some secrets. PAR times will need to be adjusted too (around same time that final demos are recorded).

E1M9 would probably be better off with a few of the more annoying switches cut out, in order to improve the flow. I have no exact suggestions just yet...

Well I agree with all of that :) I'm just providing the maps for now. And I'm not so sure, about populating E1M6 as M7, I never got a super computer-heavy map, and I really like those. Also, I threw out the E1M8 I found and I'm making one from scratch (I was scared at first of making crappy one, but it's coming out better than I expected)

This is weird... It turns out that all the songs for E1 maps other than E1M1 and E1M5 are stored into the Freedoom IWAD in MIDI format instead of MUS format. I wonder if that was done deliberately, or by mistake.

And Chocolate Doom in OPL emulation mode doesn't handle the raw MIDI lumps, which leads to weird results (it plays "something", but I've no idea what).

I knew that, but that's weird that Choco-doom can't handle MIDI, because vanilla most certainly could (converting it to MUS on the fly) and I swear I looked into the sources of Choco-doom and saw it simply converts MUS to MIDI and plays it like that even in OPL mode