Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > New moster projectiles

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:46. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

I've made a replacement for BAL1 and BAL2, since the original BAL1 was a bit mediocre, and the original BAL2 was just downright awful.

Version 1:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i39idwjuww27822

http://i.imgur.com/i3N5X.png

http://i.imgur.com/EwFe9.png

Version 2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?px5t7qh8klp64fa

http://i.imgur.com/exvMT.png

http://i.imgur.com/dpKl9.png

Version 3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g3kj228jafm3mt4

Last edited by Sodaholic on 03-24-12 at 06:38

Old Post 03-20-12 14:06 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
HavoX

Wow, you've been on a roll lately.

But don't these look a bit too similar to the originals?...

Old Post 03-20-12 16:10 #
HavoX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

HavoX said:
Wow, you've been on a roll lately.

Thanks.

HavoX said:
But don't these look a bit too similar to the originals?...

Eh, I'm not really sure. These were made from scratch for the most part, the only thing I used as a base was the BAL1 sprites from Freedoom.

To make BAL1 A and B, I recolored it red, and then overlayed a blurry yellowish blob in the rough center, and then added noise.

To make BAL2 A and B, I took my finished BAL1 sprite, screwed around with it a bit, and added jaggy purple outlines to it.

My version of BAL1 is much smoother than the official Doom ones, and my version of BAL2 has slightly different coloration.

Old Post 03-20-12 16:24 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

I for one would prefer if they were more distinctly different from the Doom sprites.

Old Post 03-20-12 18:25 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

fraggle said:
I for one would prefer if they were more distinctly different from the Doom sprites.

Okay, then. When I get home, I'll recolor them and resubmit them. I'll try to make BAL1 yellow again but still as detailed (and do some slight enhancements on the explosion sprites), and I'll make BAL2 kinda blue and green, or something like that.

Old Post 03-20-12 19:50 #
Sodaholic

Alright, alternate versions uploaded.

Old Post 03-20-12 23:31 #
Sodaholic

Another update. Version 3 is identical, except the explosion frames for both projectiles have been replaced and improved over version 2.

Old Post 03-24-12 06:40 #
RjY
anARCHy

Doom on the left, version 3 on the right.

http://i.imgur.com/CPNqb.gif

Sufficiently different to commit?

Old Post 03-24-12 16:10 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

RjY said:

I would think so, considering that I did use Freedoom's already existing BAL1 sprites as a base for both of them.

Old Post 03-24-12 16:48 #
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Plus, the yellow globe fizzle sprite has a left-over chunk on the right which makes it look uneven and asymmetric.

Old Post 03-24-12 17:53 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
wesleyjohnson

Are there any engines besides DoomLegacy that do special missile transparency ??
DoomLegacy does it by rendering the colors used at the edges of fire and missile projectiles as transparent (transparency tables created from the Doom2 missiles), but rendering the stronger colors as solid.
I expect radical changes in the colors used in missiles to break this effect.
How many engines will be affected by this ??

Could you be a bit specific as to what was objectionable in the previous version and what difference the change makes. Anything beyond your personal asthetic ??

Last edited by wesleyjohnson on 03-27-12 at 20:44

Old Post 03-27-12 20:35 #
wesleyjohnson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

wesleyjohnson said:
How many engines will be affected by this ??

Could you be a bit specific as to what was objectionable in the previous version and what difference the change makes. Anything beyond your personal asthetic ??

Most engines just use regular old partial transparency. Some engines use normal blending, others use additive. Legacy is the exception, and shouldn't really concern us, given that it's an outdated engine that not many people use anymore, and that it's shitty "fancy" transparency effects break the visual appearance of many, many more WADs than just Freedoom.

As for why these should replace the existing sprites, did you even look at the originals before asking that? BAL2 is clearly just some spray paint tool mspaint garbage, and if anyone thinks it looks any good, they are in desperate need for eye surgery. BAL1 on the other hand, isn't terrible, but it used a small amount of shades and honestly isn't up to par with the rest of the graphics. Seriously, just open version 3's WAD in an editor, and then open Freedoom, compare my version and the existing ones.

I only submit things to Freedoom when I feel that the originals downright suck, and that my contributions will be an actual improvement.

Old Post 03-27-12 22:10 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

wesleyjohnson said:
Are there any engines besides DoomLegacy that do special missile transparency ?

Plenty, but none that use Legacy's method.

If you like the results it provide, you should think about a way to generate the translucency tables on-the-fly at load-time, based on the pixel information from the projectile sprites.

Old Post 03-27-12 22:44 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mewse
aahahhh

RjY said:
Doom on the left, version 3 on the right.

http://i.imgur.com/CPNqb.gif

thanks for making that gif, the new projectile looks pretty good IMO

Old Post 03-29-12 00:00 #
mewse is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
wesleyjohnson

Do you go into every project by bad-mouthing other peoples work ??
Do you measure the worth of you contributions by how much you can degrade the efforts of others ?

Old Post 04-06-12 19:25 #
wesleyjohnson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic

wesleyjohnson said:
Do you go into every project by bad-mouthing other peoples work ??
Do you measure the worth of you contributions by how much you can degrade the efforts of others ?

Umm, is this directed at me? :| If so, I'll address both points.

1. Do I go into every project "badmouthing" other people's work?

I do criticize things, but not without reason. I always try to remain constructive in criticism when it comes to salvageable resources (nothing is perfect, there's always something that can be improved). As for resources that I don't believe can be salvaged into anything good, I don't bother being constructively critical, as there's no way it can be improved, and I feel that it's self evident as to why it needs to be replaced (the obvious placeholder BAL2 sprites come to mind).

2. Do I measure the worth of my contributions by how much I can degrade others' efforts?

Not at all. I'm not trying to "degrade" others' work, I'm trying to improve it. If I see a flaw in something, I'll edit it to fix the flaw and submit my improvements. For example, the BAL1 sprite wasn't downright terrible, but it had a low amount of shades, and could do with some polishing. It's still the same sprite it was before, but now polished.

There's a big difference between constructive criticism and needless bashing.

Last edited by Sodaholic on 04-06-12 at 23:45

Old Post 04-06-12 20:21 #