Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > Reducing the number of download options

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:06. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chungy

Freedoom has a lot of downloads.

In the name of simplification, these should be combined or removed to make things easier. All the resource WADs, for example, are just legacy build system baggage that I'm not even sure anybody still uses.

At a minimum, I'd like to provide the Doom 1 and 2 targets under the same Zip, just named something simple like freedoom-0.8.1.zip. It'd contain doom.wad and doom2.wad. FreeDM can either stay a separate download or just get shoved into the same all-IWADs Zip as the other two; it's a special-purpose IWAD, so I'm undecided on this, I'm leaning towards keeping it a separate download.

Most (or all?) the resource WADs can probably go. I believe the only one of real value is freedoom-levels, which allows people to play the levels but under Doom itself. Still, it only contains the levels for doom2.wad, so that would need changing.

Last edited by chungy on 01-07-14 at 10:53

Old Post 01-05-14 15:44 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

All SGTM.

We can't even distribute the levels independently because some use textures that are unique to Freedoom.

Old Post 01-05-14 20:41 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Catoptromancy
Forum Regular

Single player with 2 wads and a multiplayer pack with freedm.

Old Post 01-05-14 21:41 #
Catoptromancy is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RjY
anARCHy

I would cheerfully dump the resource wads. As I recall, the textures wad breaks some engines, as some of the TNT textures use sprites as wall patches, but deutex doesn't pull in the sprites so you get missing patch errors. Furthermore, the levels wad and the combined resources wad only include MAP**, not E*M*. I'm not sure if that's a deutex limitation or a flaw in the #defines in buildcfg.txt, but I don't think it's worth caring about. I think they should just be dropped.

Old Post 01-06-14 17:21 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GhostlyDeath
Forum Retard

I would go for the following:
* Normal complete IWADs: FreeDoom 2, The Ultimate FreeDoom, etc.
* WAD containing just the levels.
* WAD containing just graphical resources (sprites, textures, etc.).
* WAD containing just sounds.

However, personally for me I am more Vanilla-ish when it comes to FreeDoom. That is, I would only have IWADs which are 1:1 compatible with the original release (although with free levels and resources, but no extra textures or level features).

Old Post 01-06-14 20:27 #
GhostlyDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Single pack with doom.wad, doom2.wad, and freedm.wad.

Anything else is pointless. If you want to get just the levels or just the sounds or what have you, get SLADE 3.

Old Post 01-06-14 20:31 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

Single Zip is implemented.

I think this is the best option, but probably not everyone agrees. There is some time before the next release, so if there's enough objections I'll change it at most to splitting FreeDM into an independent file; the resource PWADs are going to stay gone.

Old Post 01-07-14 07:13 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

I'd prefer to see FreeDM as a separate zip.

Old Post 01-07-14 14:38 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote